Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheDarkArchon

Doom Press Release Beta Graphics Support

Lee Killough had them figured out and had a utility that could extract and convert them into normal patches (IIRC, he once told me the format was very similar to but not compatible with DOOM's final patch format, so you could expect the data to be in columns...) Unfortunately, like many of his other exploits, he kept this to himself and never sent me a finished version of the utility during MBF development.

Added, grab the beta.

The image format is the same, except column pointers are words instead of longs. XWE already supported a similar format, from the alphas, but there the header values (x, y and offsets) were bytes, not words.

Now XWE supports all Doom releases (alpha, beta, etc), incl. displaying maps. Let me know if you find any problems.

Latest beta gives 'Integer overflow' error when trying to open files Help1.gfx and Help1.gfx from Heretic.wad.
The previous beta version that i have (date 01-06-2006) behaves normal here.

Following is true for current beta and beta from 01-06-2006:
When selecting Close from the filemenu XWE states "the currently opened file was modified by an external program." when there didn't happen any modification at all.

Regards,
deus-ex

The latest beta from 18-06-2006 still has the issues i mentioned before. Bother to reply?

Regards,
deus-ex

I fixed the Hexen issue, I'll upload it tonight. The "externally modified..." issue is here, it's ongoing. It'll be a while before it's 100% working.

It's uploaded. The other issue is better now too, check it out.

BTW, the reason for the "integer overflow" or "range check error" messages is that I'm compiling the beta with the Range Check option. This'll do extra checks at runtime. Fixing those things makes XWE more solid.

Heretic issues fixed (info: i never reported it to be Hexen related). Thank you.

The issue about the warning message when closing a wad-file remains unchanged for me, though i understand this will be fixed later on.

Regards,
deus-ex

EDIT: Rewrote message for clarification of fixed/unfixed issues.