Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joeself

Doom on Flash Drive?

What do you guys recommend for playing Doom off of a USB Flash drive. Can it be done?

XP Pro @ work and need to leave NO traces. I could install one of the later sources but they all have installs.

JoeSelf

Zdoom works for me. Copy a zdoom install to a directory on your flash drive. Rename your zdoom-username.ini to zdoom.ini. Whenever you transfer to a machine with a new username, zdoom will read the settings from zdoom.ini then write a zdoom-username.ini for you, with your usual preferences and save it to the directory on the flash drive. Pull out the flash drive and all evidence of your gaming will be gone but your preferences for that computer will be saved on your flash drive for the next time you plug it in. :D

I play off a copy of chocolate-doom on my Ipod mini (is a flash-drive I believe) and it runs perfectly except for a couple skips every few minutes because it doesn't precache.
If you just want to play Doom- you may want to check if some source ports precache the data, so there isn't any loading in the middle of a level.
Also a game like Unreal Tournament precaches before each level, so games like that are great for playing off a flash drive.

Enjay I have some older zdoom stuff I will try that out. I was thinking that that would be the way to go. I'll post back after I try it out.

Thanks!