Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMAD

Editing contest: Make a realistic map

For those who don't/can't read the Newdoom forums, there's an editing contest under way. The idea is to make a map which takes place in a realistic, modern setting. The kind of thing you see when you look out your window.

Other than the strict theme limit, you are pretty much free to do as you please. All ports are available, so you can use the port you're the most familiar with. Using a port isn't necessary, but of course allows for some neat effects.

Here's the list of the rules:

-Game mode: Singleplayer/Coop
-Wad: Doom2.wad
-Number of maps: 1 map
-Port: Free
-Custom textures, sounds, music, sprites, monsters, weapons etc.: All allowed
-Difficulty levels aren't necessary but are definitely a plus

Send maps to fatality A T gmail Dot com

ALL MAPS MUST BE SENT IN BEFORE THE END OF JULY 23rd GMT
If you send a map and notice that it has a bug or something you can resend your map as long as it's before the deadline. You'll have to include a proper text file with your map. If you use the id games archive template you'll have everything you need, but you can make your own txt file if you wish to. The main things it should have are the following:

-Name of the map
-Name of the author
-Port
-Does it include difficulty levels (important, we won't test different difficulty levels if you don't tell us that they exist. We won't be checking every map in doombuilder to see if it has difficulty levels)
-Some short description about the map would be nice, so know what you were aiming for.
-A good joke (possibly optional)

The judges for the contest are Fatal, AlysiumX and Danimetal.

Entrees are judged on these two simple criteria:

1. How fun the map is
This goes without saying. We want fun maps, that are neither too easy nor too challenging. Maps that we really enjoy playing.

2. How much the map complies with the theme
This contest has a theme, that you must follow. If you make totally bizarre stuff like floating bricks or teleports to strange places, we can't give a good score here. Look outside from your window and try to get inspiration from the world around you. That's what we're looking for here. Because creating realistic stuff is very highly related to detailing we decided to combine those two things. Remember, unrealistic detailing doesn't boost your score here; you can't get a parking garage look incredibly beautiful. We won't give penalty points for using demons in the map, because using only human enemies would make the maps boring. Feel free to use all of the monsters.

These two weigh the same, so you should focus on both. So 50% for fun factor, 50% for realism.

Creating new weapons and monsters of course is a difficult job, but if you decide to make such things, we may grant some bonus points depending on how well they work.

After the deadline, Fatal, AlysiumX and Danimetal will write reviews of the maps, score the maps, declare the winner and then release them all as one pack, as they did in the last contest.

Finally, the most important thing. EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO THIS CONTEST AND ALL THE ENTRIES WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Some parts of NeoDoom were realistic, others weren't. But that wasn't a competition.

"Honey, I've Opened An Interdimensional Portal to Hell"!

I remember REAL, a jungle WAD that was pretty convincing. Doom is better at Man-made structures than hellish/futuristic ones anyway. The hardest part of this would be the concept of size, because, quite frankly, the doomguy is quite.. short.

Csonicgo said:

"Honey, I've Opened An Interdimensional Portal to Hell"!

I remember REAL, a jungle WAD that was pretty convincing. Doom is better at Man-made structures than hellish/futuristic ones anyway. The hardest part of this would be the concept of size, because, quite frankly, the doomguy is quite.. short.

I think Doom is best for natural terrain - hills, mountains and rivers. You may forget caves, but the others all possible, especially because all the limits (newer games have) have been REMOVED. No map size, thing or visplane overflow. We even have slopes. So really I think Doom is best for hill/mountain/river design.

Ebon said:

So really I think Doom is best for hill/mountain/river design.

I don't know. When I think of doom I don't think of hills mountains and rivers. Unless you use that terrain generating program, but then it's difficult to add a building on the slope or something.

It would be great if all the entries are complied into a megawad. That would be awesome.

XXoXX said:

It would be great if all the entries are complied into a megawad. That would be awesome.

It would be nice, but the maps will probably all be for different ports, so it wouldn't work too well. Chances are, it would take quite a bit of effort to make everything compatible with a single port.