Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DJShrimpy

Question about MP3s...

Okay, so you can put MP3s in WADs. Right? Right. Now my friend has uploaded a deathmatch PWAD with an MP3 in it. Now this song is by 2Pac (or Tupac or something, idk, he says 2Pac) and I have a question.

Okay downloading music is illigal yes? So then isn't this WAD pretty much considered illigal cause it contains an MP3 in it?

DJShrimpy said:
[BOkay downloading music is illigal yes? So then isn't this WAD pretty much considered illigal cause it contains an MP3 in it? [/B]

Downloading *copyrighted* music is illegal. This wad is bad because it contains an *illegal* mp3 not just cause it contains an mp3. Being specific is nice. Also who the hell puts tupac in a doom wad anyway?

DJShrimpy said:

Okay, so you can put MP3s in WADs. Right? Right. Now my friend has uploaded a deathmatch PWAD with an MP3 in it. Now this song is by 2Pac (or Tupac or something, idk, he says 2Pac) and I have a question.

Okay downloading music is illigal yes? So then isn't this WAD pretty much considered illigal cause it contains an MP3 in it?

Yes. And such wads are usually rejected on sight, and if not removed upon discovery.

I think the best course of action with music, is put in something simple you like (either midi or a legal mp3) and when you want to play it, just make a separate wad with the mp3 to run with it... That way you get your 2Pac and play, and you won't get criticized for releasing it. If a cool wad was released but had a 2Pac score, I'd avoid it like a taco crotch

Darkfyre said:

If a cool wad was released but had a 2Pac score, I'd avoid it like a taco crotch

Why, you'd confuse monster growls with the voice-overs? :)

More seriously, isn't it LEGAL to release wads with MID (instrumental) versions of MP3's?

Copyright is still copyright, no matter what format. Just because it's some guy not working in 2pac's studio who made it doesn't make it public domain.

I'm not sure about mids still being copyrighted. There are such mid-alikes freely available for musician programs like guitarpro.

Ebon said:
I'm not sure about mids still being copyrighted.

It's the music and lyrics that carry the music's copyright, not the format (jallamann just mentioned it, so you would have done better doing some reasearch if you wanted to contradict what he said.) That's why you can't publish a band's lyircs or tabs without their permission.

As far as Doom goes though, it seems rather open and acceptible to release a midi of a real song... Not to say legal, but generally accepted as far as I can tell. I can't recall how many wads I've played where halfway through I all of a sudden get a "Wait a second, I've heard this song before" and realize it's a NIN, Depeche Mode, or even Europe song. Unless there's actually been a case of trouble over someone making a midi of a song? Now that would definitely be something interesting to read over!

Although /idgames hasn't been specifically mentioned, this is relevant:

/idgames readme.incoming says:
Do not embed commercial MP3s as music in WADs. If you have made your own music as an MP3, or I can verify that you had it made especially for you by one of the folks in the community, I'll accept it as part of your wad.

If I upload a wad with "stolen" music tablature (midi), who's considered responsible? Me or the archive administrator who allowed it?

If a nonmaterial product (eg wad, music melody, bit of literature) is "copyrighted" then (without knowing the terms beforehand) can I simply ask its authors for permission and hope for a "yes?"

let me end this discussion right now;

Noone gives a camels twirling dong about Doom. The RIAA is not going to stumble upon copyrighted mp3's in a Doom wad.

Ebon said:

If I upload a wad with "stolen" music tablature (midi), who's considered responsible? Me or the archive administrator who allowed it?

You.

If a nonmaterial product (eg wad, music melody, bit of literature) is "copyrighted" then (without knowing the terms beforehand) can I simply ask its authors for permission and hope for a "yes?"

Yes.

bardcat said:

let me end this discussion right now;

Noone gives a camels twirling dong about Doom. The RIAA is not going to stumble upon copyrighted mp3's in a Doom wad.

While I'm sure that there's some degree of truth to what you're saying, it's better to be safe than sorry; also, I doubt that anyone's going to play a wad with a 2pac MP3 in it, because nobody will take it seriously.

I don't know how this works in the usa, but i think it's the same. In europe if you steal a song basicaly, but just replay the song with a guitar or something it's a different song. Same goes for the midis it's not the same song.
Think of that crazy frog, I don't think those bastards payed anything to rape people songs with their money making scheme.

zarkyb said:

While I'm sure that there's some degree of truth to what you're saying, it's better to be safe than sorry; also, I doubt that anyone's going to play a wad with a 2pac MP3 in it, because nobody will take it seriously.

Shit, I'd play it. You bitch ass white dude.

DJShrimpy said:

I'm pretty sure. that's mainly the reason Deathz0r explodes with anger every time he plays a wad with commercial MP3s. Just stick to the legal music in Doom wads like Alien Vendetta and Scythe. Trust me, it's not worth an email/call/etc. from the feds.

bardcat said:

Shit, I'd play it. You bitch ass white dude.

NEVER! Unless it's like Cradle of Filth or AC/DC, what us honored bitch ass white dudes will enjoy! Pfft. :p

I play with the music switched off anyway (so I can run Winamp in the background), so what music you pick is none of my business. At least, it isn't as long as it doesn't eat up fifty megabytes of space.

I don't care like shit what music you put in your maps, unless it sounds like crying big babies singing in choir, as in SERENITY, ETERNITY, INFINITY, EARTH map01, 2002ADO, PE_DT2 and lots of others with blabbering music.

EDIT: By moving into the Empeethri subject, I might say that I haven't found anyy wad which uses MP3 in it. Comm'on, it's ridiculous, by commercial MP3 you hear both instruments and voice, how possibly can you afford too hear voiced music in a game???

Great idea actually, may I use MP3 remixes of Doom MUSes?