Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pete The Padre

Boss ending on E1M8

I was just wondering how does it work with the trigger in E1M8
when u kill the barons the walls starts to descend, how is this? script?

How can i do something like a Boss ending trigger in doombuilder with just the original doom2 format?
do i have to script or something?

I believe you have to give the sector tag 666 or something like that. I'm not entirely sure.

Yes tag the sector with 666 and once all barons are dead that sector will go down.
And E2M8 ends if you kill an Cyberdemon im not sure if this works with an Spiderboss aswell.
E3M8 ends when you kill the Spiderboss, not sure if there are any more special tricks.

I don't think scripting is possible with the original doom2 format, tag numbers 666 and 667 work on map07.
And commander keen with tag 666 works on every level, it opens doors when you kill the keens.

I also recall, that when you kill all Mancubi or Arachnotrons in Doom2 map32 the level also ends.
Of course there are none of these monsters in the original Map32, but I came across this during the developement of Rebirth.
Anyone can confirm this?

dutch devil said:

Yes tag the sector with 666 and once all barons are dead that sector will go down.
And E2M8 ends if you kill an Cyberdemon im not sure if this works with an Spiderboss aswell.
E3M8 ends when you kill the Spiderboss, not sure if there are any more special tricks.

I don't think scripting is possible with the original doom2 format, tag numbers 666 and 667 work on map07.
And commander keen with tag 666 works on every level, it opens doors when you kill the keens.

In E4M8, the floor lowers once the Spiderdemon dies.

Substitute the "Baron death", "Cyber death", "Spider death" codepointers at the end of their deaths, with "Keen Death" - I think it works nicely - although it gets complicated when dealing will all three boss types. You have to reuse the 666 tag and have the doors lower every time you go further, so they open again after your next victory.

Good luck.

kristus said:

Don't forget the exitlevel codepointer in the romero head.

Difference is that the level ends at ANY death even if YOU die. Only specify it when there's no planned SEQUEL.

(That's why I think Doom 2 is Marine's last - he really dies from the big explosion. Try it by cruising into the boom)

Ebon said:

(That's why I think Doom 2 is Marine's last - he really dies from the big explosion. Try it by cruising into the boom)

Well in the victory message the Marine seems to be alive. I think that the level ends even with the player killed because id didn't find that important to code it properly, or to avoid potential annoyance if you kill the boss but die with the explosions, slime, or some of the many monsters.

I dont get it, i see what u men its just i want to know if it happens the same way with heretic. When i am making a wad for the last level of episode 3 i want to know when i kill d'spairl how do i get the wall to lower. do i put 666 on the walls sector tag or wat?
Well i'll try. please help...

nightmare93 said:

I dont get it, i see what u men its just i want to know if it happens the same way with heretic. When i am making a wad for the last level of episode 3 i want to know when i kill d'spairl how do i get the wall to lower. do i put 666 on the walls sector tag or wat?
Well i'll try. please help...

Look at the original Heretic levels and check for any sectors with a tag that doesn't have any apparent linedef associated with it.

dutch devil said:

What is the enemy what makes that wall lower?

from: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36272

where i analised the original gpl source

Doom2 : map07 and Mancubus ID = sector 666 : lower floor to lowest adjacent floor
      : map07 and Arachnotron ID = sector 667 : raise by texture height

uDoom : e1m8 and baron ID = sector 666 : lower floor to lowest adjacent floor
      : e2m8 and cyb ID = end level
      : e3m8 and spid ID = end level
      : e4m6 and cyb ID = sector 666 : open door fast 
      : e4m8 and spid ID = sector 666 : lower floor to lowest adjacent floor

DB is way simpler to trigger effects with out all that scripting. For example:

Say you want the cyber death to trigger a wall lowering. Simply select the cyber "thing" and select thing actions. Theres a whole bunch of thigns you can do like this to avoid scripting. If you want more advanced things like the wall lowers and the ground quakes with sound effects then you need to go in to scripting. But for a simple death trigger scripting would be a waste.

sinyx said:

Say you want the cyber death to trigger a wall lowering. Simply select the cyber "thing" and select thing actions. Theres a whole bunch of thigns you can do like this to avoid scripting. If you want more advanced things like the wall lowers and the ground quakes with sound effects then you need to go in to scripting. But for a simple death trigger scripting would be a waste.

Pete The Padre said:

How can i do something like a Boss ending trigger in doombuilder with just the original doom2 format?