Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bardcat

Texture anomaly

I've encountered this problem a couple of times, but thought it was time to address it, as I really like the way this looks, and I don't want to just delete it.

all of those linedefs are in one sector, but the last few units (which contains the bleeding textures) are in another sector, about 12 units long. I can't figure out how to resolve this, and creating an entirely new texture to match the aligned ones seems like too much trouble... but i guess if I have to...

http://www.geocities.com/sirbardcat/texture.gif
http://www.geocities.com/sirbardcat/texture2.gif

If it turns too annoying to solve you could replace the textures with slopes, the problem is that you'd loose the 3d look, unless you're a bit more into source port editing, in wich case you could place a 3d slope (this is only posible in Gzdoom so far, I don't know how to work with 3d floors in an editor, but I guess it isn't all that hard).

Full textures will cut into the floor or ceiling if they are not level with the flat. However I avoid this problem by making sure the full texture line is shared by 2 sectors (different sector on each side of the sidedef) and as long as there is a height difference of 1 pixel the texture will not cut like that. If it cuts the ceiling you make it 1 higher on one side, vise versa for the floor.

With that many sidedefs to deal with, you might just be better bringing the texture down to be flush with the bar's ceiling, or just cut the top part of the full texture off and re-import it without having to offset it.

Having different light levels on both sides evidently also stops it from happening. This has everything to do with visplane generation :)

Quasar said:

Having different light levels on both sides evidently also stops it from happening. This has everything to do with visplane generation :)

What?! I never knew that :p I'm gonna have to try that for myself next time it comes along. :D