Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_master1122

anyone play the PSX version

sorry that was a typo.

....But IT wont beat the PC version.....

stupid keyboard is screwed up.
sorry about that
yeah the Pc version is the best.
PS-i have it on pause right now. ;-)

I actually prefer the PSX version to be honest. It scares me more than playing on the PC...

You know, you can correct typos and even add to your original post using the Edit button...

Anyway, I used to own the PSX version of Doom and Final Doom, as well as the GBA version of Doom and Doom II, SNES Doom and I've played Doom 64 on the N64.

I have not played any of the Doom ports(besides Doom 3), but I have played Quake for the N 64. And that sucked, it was just.....horrible.

Naked Snake said:

You know, you can correct typos and even add to your original post using the Edit button...

Anyway, I used to own the PSX version of Doom and Final Doom, as well as the GBA version of Doom and Doom II, SNES Doom and I've played Doom 64 on the N64.

yeah i know i could do that. it is just that someone noticed what i typed b4 me. oh well.

i like the psx doom because of the new sounds they have for everything and some new levels to it. the only thing that bothers me is that you have to use passwords for your levels that you left off on.

I used to play the PSX version on my PS2 alot. That is. Until my PS2 buggered up...

I share the opinion that the PSX sound effects are highly under the original, all the monsters sound practicaly the same, the weapons aren't as satisfing as in the PC. The maps have coloured lights but are shorter. The only good thing for me (besides the coloured light) is the music, yet I prefer the one of classic DOOM.

I have the PSX version. I can't say I play it too often, but it is good. I've played it on my original Playstation, PS2 and via emulation on my PC (which I found easiest to adjust to).

I played it for so long when i finally got a PC and Doom (first game i bought, of course. this was 1999) i was annoyed that there wasnt coloured lighting, lower resolution, less animated textures, no hellish music and a crazy enemy that would set me on fire when there was no water to jump into to put myself out, how unfair is that?

AND no Pain Elemental and Chaingun guy in E1M1...

PC version for me but I realy like the music and sfx from psx doom.
I don't think I like the psx sfx better than the pc sounds but still it was pretty good.
Bummer there was no Archvile and Icon of sin in the psx version of doom.

deathbringer said:

I played it for so long when i finally got a PC and Doom (first game i bought, of course. this was 1999) i was annoyed that there wasnt coloured lighting, lower resolution, less animated textures, no hellish music and a crazy enemy that would set me on fire when there was no water to jump into to put myself out, how unfair is that?

AND no Pain Elemental and Chaingun guy in E1M1...

exact same reaction for me...

my first doom was the psx verson,i played it on ultra violence and noticed basically everything that yo said. then i got the pc version and was looking for basically the same thing,
the thing with the psx maps are that they are simplified.
i noticed that a few things from the pcversion that was taken out from the psx version.

Another thing i never liked about the PSX version was the password based save system. I got fed up of constantly writing down random letters and numbers. At least in DOOM64. You could save it with the rumble pack

Both the PC and PSX versions of Doom have their upsides. The PC version features greater difficulty, more levels, a better framerate and of course, if you're using a source port, updated graphics. But the PSX version of Final Doom, which I've owned for many years, will always have a certain nostalgic value to me. Even 10 years after its release, I still find it to be a very atsmopheric, disturbing and immersive game, mostly due to the high-fidelity sound effects and dark ambient soundtrack.

People are often full of praise of the PSX sounds, and I do like them myself for a change. However, I find them to be far too "over the top". They are all treble-downed and bass and reverb-upped to make them sound scary. In the process, to me, they ended up sounding very false and contrived and very consoley.

I have no nostalgia for the PSX version because I bought it some years after my first Doom experiences - which were with the PC version.

dutch devil said:

Jaguar doom stays closer to the pc version, but no music during play only during the intermission screens.

The first 24 maps of PSX Doom are all but identical to the 24 maps in Jaguar Doom. In both cases many of the maps are chopped up / edited down compared to the PC originals.

Overall I like PC Doom/Doom II better, but I like the music in PSX Doom more than the PC music.

Enjay said:

I have no nostalgia for the PSX version because I bought it some years after my first Doom experiences - which were with the PC version.

I enjoyed PC Doom almost since it first came out. Despite that, I prefer the PSX versions better. So I don't think it's really a matter of which came first and acclimation so much as personal prefernce.

XXoXX said:

How about GBA Doom/Doom II? Is there a port for that? :D

yeah there is a gbaversion of one and two.
two is identical to the pc version but one is chopped up a bit and has the 'you are here' map.

Cool, im gonna look for one later at the shopping centre. I hope it's not hard to find.

Two of the maps in GBA Doom 2 are split in half because they are too big, however it does have the final level Icon Of Sin, not the boring Redemption Denied of the other Console Versions (kill a load of barons, a wall opens containing a spider mastermind with its back to you and an invincibility and BFG, one shot later and you've won). Says i a few days after uploading a wad inspired by that level...

I'm pretty sure they moved more slowly, and so did thier rockets, go into Barrels O Fun, theres one bit where two of them are in a hallway, and there is a BFG behind them, on the PSX you could rush out from behind the pillar at the end of the hall, SSG one and rush back again to dodge the rockets, on the PC you should kill one of them this way but the second one will always be on top of you by the time you've done it and you'll have to have a cat and mouse game around the pillar

PC doom: all-time classic.

SNES doom: interesting alteration to the levels ... almost made them wider.

32X doom: looked cool ... controls were funky.

Jaguar doom: GBA doom's 3rd episode was same as this. kinda cool, definitely looked/played better than NES.

Doom64: love that title screen action! OMG so many switches to shoot! Is that a pink demon? he's kinda purple

PSX DOOM: gotta love the secret "night club" level! too bad williams never made a doom2. E2M3 was a chore with a gamepad.

I like your synopsis, Lucent, so I thought I'd steal your idea and provide my own, of the versions I've experienced.

Doom 1 (PC): Haven't played it in years, but I have many fond experiences of it. It was the first shooter I really got addicted to, after Wolfenstein 3D, of course.

Doom 2 (PC): While I was initially disappointed by there only being one new weapon and no "real" new boss, the new textures, enemies and excellent level design kept me interested.

SNES Doom: So horrid I couldn't play it for long. Sorry, but 4 frames per second on low-res mode with one-sided enemies ain't gonna cut it for me. Flame me if you want, nostalgia nerds, but that's too low-tech to enjoy. Admireable that they managed to port it, though.

PSX Doom: Animated skies, creepy music, a bigger palette, colored lighting, high fidelity music...the only real complaint is the lowered difficulty level, and some missing levels. I liked the new ones, however, that were made specifically for that version.

PSX Final Doom: Same as above, though there's no new levels. I think it's neat though, that they combined levels from both PC Final Doom and the Master Levels. However, a complete lack of spiders and only brief appearances from Mancubi and Barons was a downer.

Doom 64: Easily my favorite console Doom experience. Say what you will about the new graphics and level design, but I loved it. An incredibly atmospheric and disturbing experience, and kudos to Nintendo for not censoring Doom's penchant for intense violence and satanic imagery.

Doom 3 (PC): Played the demo, and was very impressed by the graphics and the immersiveness of the environment. However, it hardly felt like Doom, and the monster designs were sub-par at best. Still haven't gotten around to getting the retail version.