Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KennyJC

Silent teleport ambushes?

The annoying thing about trying to put in a teleport ambush is that the player can hear the monsters behind the wall roaring around or waking up.

Basically I want them to teleport to a corridor so that when the player backtracks through it, he finds more monsters he wasn't expecting... the player must not hear the monsters until after they have teleported...

Any suggestions?

Boom has a silent teleport function, but i presume you are using vanilla as if you were using boom you could just use a conveyor belt trap eh? One idea might be to put the monster room a long way away from the room the player is in, connected by a tiny "sound tunnel", monsters can hear sounds from a lot further away than you can

No need to place the teleporter room close to the playing area. Use the merge sectors trick to transfer sound and you can place it anywhere you want. Using sound tunnels is not recommended :P

I'd advise against using Boom silent teleporters unless you can be absolutely sure that the player won't be able to see the monsters popping in from nowhere.

Actually that can be used to create great tension in a map. I know one of the levels in Plutonia has such a trap that must contain about 20 Revenants and you can hear them quite well at the beginning and thus you're like "oh GOD no" the whole time. Then at the end of the map they all come teleporting in and you know it's smack-down time.

Maybe use about 100 Archviles in closed sectors close to the playing areas they don't teleport in but get chrused at the end of the map.
Just for raising the tension the whole time you would be thinking when they are going to be released.

Or like when you pick up an single health potion 20 barons of hell come teleporting in :)

Quasar said:

Actually that can be used to create great tension in a map.

Make sure such monsters have space to move about, otherwise you know they're just there.

dutch devil said:

Maybe use about 100 Archviles in closed sectors

...[cough]the ghost monster trick[cough]...