Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foofoo

What is your saving the game tactic?

do you go to the menu in the game and go to 'save game' or do you hit the quick save key? or do you quick save then go to 'save game' anyway to make certain its possitivley saved?

I usually just go into the menu and make a save game. Or see if wads use autosave.

thanx! :) though i need much more people's suggestion of what tactic is best to use because im really not sure which way i should do it.

Quicksave, usually every few seconds, unless I'm playing a really easy map or attempting a no-save run.

I write the save games from scratch with a text editor and then I load them up in the game and play. Sometimes I use paintbrush and draw tactical images of the save game. Then I change the image into the save game file and take away the image header and load it in the game.

Jimi said:

I write the save games from scratch with a text editor and then I load them up in the game and play. Sometimes I use paintbrush and draw tactical images of the save game. Then I change the image into the save game file and take away the image header and load it in the game.

Speaking of that, where can I learn the Doom savegame format?

I usually save just before i get to a health and ammo-filled secret (sometimes even when i can see said secret) then pick up all the stuff and think "hey, it would have been better to save now"

Jimi said:

i used to do teh similar thing in that i drew every frame of the game that is possible for doom and animated it in a gif animator. so basically i dont need to play wads anymore as i have already seen every single architectural possibility and item placement that can ever be done.

I go to menu, and save, if I'm inspired I write a new name, if not, bleh. I barely use the autosaves in Zdoom. Some times you feel like a pussy by saving, but it's much worse to die when you're geting close to the exit. Yet the second things seems to be more usual for me :-(
Some times as an alterternative solution I type iddqd-iddqd to feel healthy again.

F2, then a doubletap on the Enter key. I think that's quicker than 'quicksaving' ;)

I save, usually once or twice on a level, through the menu. I never quicksave because I don't want to do it every few steps. I'd rather die on a tough part and play through it from the last savegame than compulsively hit the quicksave key.

Oh yeah, for some odd reason i started a tradition of always mis-spelling the save game name, recently i was going through "Toms Rddd", and i'll have to restart "Noe Doom", right after finishing "Parinoya"