Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sinyx

Help on some stupid things

In my wad I was just wondering how to:

1) Combine 2 texture wads (or multiple texture wads for that matter) so I can use them both rather than go out and make textures when I like the ones that exist.

2) Change the map name so that rather than read Entryway on Map 01 it will read my map name in the staus screen.

3) And lastly, while I have asked this question before and read the other posts on it I still don't understand how to make the sky the way you want it. Like if I want the Episode 1 sky (The sky from E1M1 in DooM) how do I get that to be the sky rahter that the cloudy grey one?

All help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

sinyx said:

2) Change the map name so that rather than read Entryway on Map 01 it will read my map name in the staus screen.

Browse your doom2.wad with a lump management utility like XWE and observe the names of the intermission graphics (DO NOT MODIFY YOUR DOOM2.WAD THOUGH). What you want to do is put a graphic in your custom wad that has the same name as the graphic you want to "replace" in the original game. For example, "CWILV00" is the name of the graphic for MAP01's intermission level name.

sinyx said:

3) And lastly, while I have asked this question before and read the other posts on it I still don't understand how to make the sky the way you want it. Like if I want the Episode 1 sky (The sky from E1M1 in DooM) how do I get that to be the sky rahter that the cloudy grey one?

In the original game, the sky texture used was based on the episode number. In Doom II, an "episode" begins every 10 maps, so map11 is the first map to use the city sky.
If you want to go around all of this, you'll need to "replace" the first sky graphic in the way that I mentioned above with the intermission graphics. If you want to use the 3rd sky in MAP01, you'd need to export the sky texture with XWE, and then insert it into your custom wad as "RSKY1". You can change the graphics of nearly everything in the game by doing this (flats and sprites require extra steps though).

Any idea on how to combine the 2 exisiting texture wads? I still just keep messing it up. :P

In xwe copy and paste all patches to the other texture wad select all patches and right click and select add to texture.
Some textures are made up from multiple patches so this method works fine for textures that are made from one patch.

Which texture wads are you trying to combine, whats the difference between texture1 and texure2.
Maybe copy everything and rename one of the texture1 lumps to texture2 though im not sure if this works...

Or you could use Wintex 4.3 and use the join PWad function. Either way would do fine.

I thought texture1 and texture2 only applies to udoom wads, right?

DeePsea can merge 2 WADs with TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps, combining these lumps to create single lumps in the target WAD. All you have to make sure is that the additional textures and patches do not have conflicting names.

EarthQuake said:
"CWILV01" is the name of the graphic for MAP01's intermission level name.

It starts at 0, so Map01 is CWILV00 and Map32 is CWILV31.

XXoXX said:
I thought texture1 and texture2 only applies to udoom wads, right?

Either game will read both if available, and either will work with only TEXTURE1.