Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadow Dweller

randomly blinking lights (among other things)

i have some questions.

1) is it possible to have lights blink randomly, but keep the room mostly dark, were they blink to a brighter light level and not darker? (lights trying to flicker on, as if someone were playing with the light switch)

2) is it possible to make a door open half-way, get stuck, and close again? (as if it were jammed from damage.)

3) can steam be made in Doom Builder? (like a ruptured gas line of some kind)

Doesn't this go under DooM mapping or editing?

Anyway i think i can answer question 2. For the door to seem stuck, ya have to make a dummy sector joined with door sector. Just set the dummy sector to the height you want the door to raise.

For question 1: Isn't there something like sector type in which you can set lighting?

Dosen't this go under DooM mapping or editing?

yeah ,but since i am using doom bulider for this i figured it would go better here.

For question 1: Isn't there something like sector type in which you can set lighting?

yes, but they don't have the effect that i am looking for.

thanks for the help on question 2, BTW.

To make steam you would have to make a new thing with steam for its sprites, or you could use a particle generator in Doomsday or Risen3D to get a more realistic effect.

How to make "Jammed Doors"

For the type of Random flickering light you want, I think you need Zdoom.

Thanks for the help.

BTW, is there a way to tag the door so it only raises to the height of a remote sector that is not immediatly adjacent to it? with the door i have it will be kind of difficult to do this without boring more holes in the walls.

Yes you can. Since the door can only raise to the lowest ceiling, all you need to do is to make a dummy sector far away from the door. Let me demonstrate:

Just renumber sector b to sector a. Now the door will only raise to a height of 32 (or slightly less). Simple and efficient. No need for a tag either.