Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

How would you make a Doom Movie?

As most of you know, the Doom movie was a complete failure. Bad acting, bad plot, bad script, everything was bad.
But if you could change the Doom movie, or make another, how would you make it?

I would personally try to focus more on the creations of the community. I'd try to base it more on some of Doom Worlds finest wads instead of just on Doom 3.

First, I'd avoid using Dr Betruger (glad they did too.) It was a complete ripoff of Mr Hopkins.
I'd start with the Doom I story. Shooting the superior, being convicted to Mars, getting to know the comrades. Garbling messages, people's deaths.

Then I'll try my best to design a Bible/Doom/Doom3 mix of story. Also mix it with space SF stuff (except it's demonized.)

Include Phobos & Deimos. Imagine gravity generators. Imagine they're somehow the cause of demonic invasion. Imagine Hell/Inferno as corrupted Mars. Obligatory include a cyberdemon and a spiderdemon as villains. Speaking of villains, it wouldn't hurt resembling a Transformers comic.

Write 'Thy Flesh Consumed' as a trailer for Doom II, the second movie. And Remember not to ignore the proper horror element. And promise a much more gruesome Doom II, in the trailer.

Perhaps something like Apocalypse now but 100 times nastier, crossed with Event Horizon and R-Point...

Basically, we have the main character in the riots on earth, he beats up his superior officer and gets stationed on Mars. Is there for a few weeks, assigned to gaurd stuff, treated like crap by his sergeant (a bit like the boot camp of Full Metal Jacket or Starship Troopers, except for the reason that he is a prisoner rather than a new recruit),
it would also introduce the other characters, a bunch of rather sterotyped misfits who had all been sent up here for one reason or another to get them out of the way. Of course there would be a spiv-type guy who got caught stealing stuff and running a dodgy business on the side, a redneck who blew a load of people away regardless of weather they surrendered or not, some token black guy who talks in ebonics, a nerd who isnt really cut out for army work, and a token bird who is short and shouty.
Anyway some other minor character goes up to Phobos (which, ignoring reality, is the size of earth's moon and has earth's gravity, in real life its tiny, little more than a captive asteroid) to gaurd a facility, he comes back a few days later talking about "fucked up shit" about people exploding after going through some 'tests', another person going through the 'tests' went psycho and started babbling an incomprehensible language and shooting anything that moved, bizarrely he wouldnt die until somebody hit him in the head "like Night Of The Living Dead or some shit!".
Anyway some time later (after our main guy has a nightmare that makes the audience jump as he looks out of the window and a mangled zombie, all rotten muscle and blood, suddenly smacks against the window from the outside) the alarms go off and the soldiers all arrive in the mess hall, thier sergeant breifs them on the situation, which is that they got a garbled message from Phobos full of screaming and unearthly monstrous sounds, one of them looks out of the skylight and notices that Demios is missing, everyone goes "What the fuck, thats impossible!", with chilling music to create the sort of uneasy atmosphere that was seen in the Doctor Who episode "The Impossible Planet".
Anyway as our bunch of misfits are the only combat troop around they are blasted up to Phobos to have a look. The phobos base looks like Doom 3, crossed with E1, it its mostly metal with computer screens and pipes all over the place, however there is the odd 'Startan' texture like in E1 and its much lighter than Doom 3, but still gloomy.
They find some dead people, some have been shot, others burned. Somebody can hear strange sounds coming from somewhere else in the base, it sounds like screaming, but like millions of people screaming, the sound of the damned souls of hell, the sergeant tells him to shut up. Anyway blah blah they find some more bodies, totally ripped apart and with strange symbols drawn in thier blood, as well as uneartly growths like in Aliens. Suddenly they come across some living people, who attack them! "Its just like that guy said, shoot them in the head!", but then Imps attack them from inside the uneartly growths, like Aliens, the sergeant gets killed and so does somebody else (a generic "Redshirt"-like guy), they fight off the attackers and take cover, they realise they cant get back to Mars without the access card for thier ship, which one of the dead guys had, they go back to the battle zone, fighting a few more monsters (Imps, Zombies and Demons) while wondering if thier attackers are aliens or just mutated zombies ("Nah, that sounds like the plot of a shit film") and find the bodies with the card have been carried away.
They fight on through locations and areas that look a little like E1, lose somebody else. The nerdy bloke has to hack into a computer console at one stage, but satanic imagery appears on the screen and he says something is "taking over the systems, the whole base!". They find an armoury and get some shotguns and chainguns (up to now they'd have Pistols and Assault Rifles like from the Alpha). Anyway they get to the end of E1 and find the sarge, now a zombie, but he has somehow resisted zombification and turns on some imps and shoots them, as the turns back he is obliterated by a Baron of hell!, cue a massive fight, several likeable characters being killed off in sudden and senseless ways, and wondering "Where the fuck these creatures came from, they look like theyre outta fucking hell, man!".
They find the portal with some strange arcitecture around it, by now they have found out what the UAC was researching up here. Knowing thier space ship is useless they hope the portal leads home ("They musta set it for Earth when the attack started to escape!") and go in, after some gruesome and terrifying imagery they end up in the Demios base, with an unfamiliar sky above thier head, it looks like the whole sky is on fire!. The base looks like Doom 3 crossed with E2, all the lights are not working, somebody spots what he thinks is a working computer screen because theres a glow coming from it, but when he gets there finds its a hole in the wall with a metal skull in it, there is a satanic symbol on the skulls forehead, flames in its eyes and blood pouring from its mouth.
They are attacked again by a big wave of monsters, including some Lost Souls ("This is no mutant or alien, its a fucking ghost, man!"), and finally a Cacodemon, which should have its apperance changed to be more like the Doom 3 one because one based on the Doom one would just be funny. They find a secret weapon, the Plasma gun, and read about another one, the BFG 9000, which is missing. The base is becoming more and more warped, with black candles, skulls, evil carvings and marble as they go, fighting the odd Baron among the other creatures.
Finally they reach a giant marbled arena, where something huge is shaking the floor. Kaboom, some more of the squad are crisped as the Cyberdemon attacks, using the Plasma Gun they kill it, and wonder how something could have survived the plasma blasts for as long as it could, and how it could use a rocket launcher.
They climb to the edge of Demios and look down, they are above Hell!, in the distance they see a huge castle/ziggaraut, and what looks like another portal on the top (using long-range binoculars). The few survivors (the main characters from Mars and a couple more redshirts to get killed) trek across hell, seeing disgusting tentacles, twisted corpses tortured beyong belief and hideous carvings, as well as battling loads of Imps, Demons, Cacos and Spectres now. Hell would be bigger and brighter than the two bases, and not very claustrophobic.
They would then battle through the castle, which would be dark and claustrophobic and full of the most disgusting and macabre imagery in the film, they would also find the BFG here and use it to rub out 4 Barons in one shot. The main character and three others reach the top, a large arena with the portal in the centre.
Knowing wherever it goes could not be worse than this they run for it, one gets killed by the Spider Mastermind, the others dodge its deadly shots, but they are pinned behind cover and have to keep running under it and around it, one guy is killed in this battle and one wounded badly. It gets BFG'ed, which wounds it but its still coming, and energy is running low.
The wounded guy activates the BFG's self-destruct and gets the spider to come to him. Boom. The main character sets some explosives at the Portal to 'seal Hell off' and leaps in, waking up on Earth!
Heroic music plays and he cant stop smiling, he turns as he gets up from the ground and comes face to face with a rabbit's head on a stick, suddenly what is behind the rabbits head comes into focus, a huge city ablaze! he stands up and looks around, a horde of Imps and Demons charges him, Cacodemons and Lost souls swoop in from above and Zombies mill out of the city in thier millions. THE END? comes up, and bullets shoot trough it, roll credits!

I'd probably start the movie as the blood covered Doomguy sits on a step, viewing the chaos that his relentless struggle against the demons had caused. Keeping with the silent protagonist idea, the flashback would begin with various cues. It would start with him at the riot, the superior shouting profanities in his face. Unshaken, the doomguy (which should remain nameless) socks the superior in the face, and is quickly knocked out by a rifle butt to the back of his head (courtasy of one of the "loyal" soldiers)

The movie would then cut the ship flying to mars, various soldiers talking to and about him, but remaining silent. (the movie has to have that feel) After some plot holes filled by the other marines, the all hell breaks loose scenario begins. (But before Doomguy goes to Phobos himself, there has to be some sort of scene showing what happened to those who went through the portal) and then the story should continue as necessary.

His fellow marines would go in and leave him to guard the door, and after a short scene following them, the onslaught should begin. They need to all die in various ways, but not showing who/what killed them. In contrast to the game, Doomguy shouldnt run into adversity incredibly fast, but should build up the suspense. After finding some armour and ammo, he should run into a zombie (probably a "we thought he was dead, but he came back to life!" situation) and the story should progress.

To keep the fighting interesting, it should show the doomguy in the extremes of battle, IE, the frightening surivival fight at the beginning, the top of the world bloodbath somewhere along the line, and the desperately clawing to kill battle near the end. A berzerk scene would be nice, especially if the doomguy is particularly injured. Of course a soulsphere scene should be including. Other powerups arent quite important enough to put in. Every new weapon should be used immediately, but soon run out of ammo as not to keep the doomguy too powerful.

The end of the "watch every fight" part of the movie should be the bruisers, and episode 2 should probably be a montage. Maybe ending with a tough battle against the cyberdemon (maybe using wits instead of guns) Most of 3 would be the doomguy's now calm perspective about his survival, ending with a climactic fight against the Spider.

The ending should be a look at what the doomguy has become, or more importantly, what he hasnt (IE, what traits from the beginning he shares at the end). Probably a good ending would be his walk into the red sunset(or whatever you'd have on a moon of mars).

Eh, just my cup of fish.

I wouldn't. Its bad source material for a movie.

If I absolutley had to though, it would be sort a of a dramatization of co-op (four marines) and it would be structured similar to a normal horror movie.

Get rid of all that trite crap. No huge monsters with big teeth, no dumb douchebag marines, and most of all no bs attempt at being "realistic." It should be a surreal, fantasy experience, i.e. geologically incorrect. Obviously if you try to follow the structure of the game "the way the Doom novels did" the movie would be a failure. It would be more story-oriented and have feeling, sort of like ROTLA.

There would be nothing stopping it from being a top 100 all-time movie, but you'd have to break a lot of rules and do the unexpected.

i'd make it based on classic doom, thats for sure! I think some of the things the doom novel did were quite smart and cool. Like the way that some monsters kept trying to imitate humans but failing, so i'd have that in there. i guess ill just try and nurture my imagination.............

Right! what id do is it starts off with the shit hittin the fan. .......mars base - monsters kill every one, distress call etc. Same old.......then the marines get sent in. They go there but at first they find no monsters. Just the fact that the builidng is mutating and growing spikes. The marines are freaked the fuck out. They start searching, one marine starts walking around and gets scared by something. he jumps around with his gun and peers off. The camera faces him and the wall is in the background. Next second eyes open on the spiky wall and a classic doom imp jumps out and kills the marine as his back is turned.
I guess id just explain the monsters as the fact the building is mutating and they're growing from it. And eventually the protagonist has to walk into the building and get absorbed so he can travel to hell and kill the cyberdemon. Or spider mastermind?

I dunno............ It wouldn't be easy. Thats for sure, should just keep it as is. I guess......................

The first thing I'd do would be to replace the weapons they used. The movie took place in the future, but they were using P90 smgs. Those guns were made in the 90's for Christ's sake!

I'd change the BFG too. It took me 10 minutes to realize that it was supposed to look like a gun. <_<

I would go back in time and stop Aliens from being made. Then I would take the Aliens script and tweak it into a Doom movie. However since time travel is impossible I would just not even bother.

/me sets up two tv sets next to eachother and watches aliens and the evil dead movies at the same time.

No plot, no motive, just three hours of different director's takes on one man wiping out hordes of drooling monstrosities in an inventive variety of ways. Maybe have little clips of the director explaining his stylistic decisions to make it interesting.

It'll be The Aristrocrats meets Alien! And really bad comparisons!

uhh i thought the doom movie was fine. nothing like the game but who cares. it's entertaining in a different way. but yea aliens and event horizon are better, and so is deathbringer and bank's ideas, those would be cool to see

I would make a movie what goes about like the Classic dooms or DooM3.
A loneley marine have fun with Demons and imps and big nasty Cyber ass. And of course thoose videos are included (When the first lost soul come. A that ladys skull come thru his head with spine then it start burn and it become to a lost soul.ETC.)

The movie begins with Doomguy (Played by Will Ferrell) getting his rear end handed to him at the end of E1M8. Cut to D-guy floating through nothingness, wondering what's going on and where his fat reward and ticket home is.

Eventually he finds himself on Deimos, with the back of his helmet on fire!! Doomguy runs wildly in circles, screaming "OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE!!!! HELP ME JESUS!!!! HELP ME VAN DAMME!!!!!!!!! HELP ME OWEN HART!!!!" until finally a zombieman (played by Will Smith) shoots his helmet clean off. Doomguy turns around and aims his gun at the zombie.

"Hold on...Flynn?" The zombie says in a humanlike voice. "Don't ya remember me, Joe Wilson?"

"Hmm...wait a minute. Yeah," Doomguy replies. "You were the guy that put a thumbtack on my seat in the rec room while I was in the bathroom." After about 5 minutes of conversation, the two battle through Deimos and the place where the bad people go, eventually bringing the Spider Mastermind (voiced by JADA-PINKETT SMITH) to her knees

I want my Doom movie to have exploding green barrels. Nothing but a montage of those exploding green barrels blowing things up. Have some symphony music playing in the background and have those green barrels blowing up and killing random enemies and even other Doom marines.

Now all I'm thinking of is that Monty Python sketch where an orchestra is getting blown up by a cannon on the tympani hits.

I'd make the movie like so.

I'd follow the novel and direct it from there, adding cool effects, and switching to 1st person mode every so often. I'm not sure who I would cast as Flynn and Arlene, But, I would want to keep it as close as the original as possible.

After that, We'll go on to Doom 2, and follow a bit closer to the game. Running into a space port, until you're the last one alive (again) And continue on...

Then, Do Plutonia and TNT, then Doom 64. For the final movie, I'd do D00M 3.

i would do something like...the doomguy is sitting on a chair in the basement and smoking "coldie"( a slang for pure lemonjuice dipped in tobacco and crushed cold pills in it...)
in a dagga pipe. And then when hes high, his family comes in and hes killing all of them!
and the police officer find the bodies and knows tht it was the doomguy who killed em. and the doomguy is send to hell!
(i dont know why but...i guess cus my brain is fucked up)

I would make it dark and gritty.Not too much talking.
I would have a slightly thinner Jack Black play the Doom Guy, but be serious the whole time.
The UAC shit would look like the Aliens movie.
I would start with Jack being led out of his cell in shackles for refusing to fire upon civilians.
He has a small conversation with his superiors, as they smile-immediatly followed by some sort of electronic notebook being slapped on a desk in front of Jack, the camera zooms onto the information reading his transfer. then the camera sees his eyes.
I would basically follow the original doom story, he won't talk to much the whole time, would just have shooting, shouting and crazy firefights. would have him recieveing delayed transmissions from headquarters or something.
after he got to the end, you have him blast off cryogenically frozen heading towards earth.
for an epilogue, the ship wakes him up with scans of the earth (months later), infested with hellspawn having him say some kind of "oh no" before the film cuts to black.

Craigs said:The first thing I'd do would be to replace the weapons they used. The movie took place in the future, but they were using P90 smgs. Those guns were made in the 90's for Christ's sake!

Though gun in the poster was an FN P90, they used heavily modified G36 assault rifles in the movie.

Linguica said:I would go back in time and stop Aliens from being made.

Shame on you for speaking such evil...