Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Craigs said:

none of the screen shots work.
Upload them with imageshack.us instead.

or, rather, fix the "http://" in the links; it's repeated.

As for the screenshots, they're...small. If you're using doom2.exe, you might want to start using a source port that supports high resolutions.

From what I can see in the small pictures, you still have a lot to learn.

In DOOM0000.png, it looks like you cut the sector using those space-gate (blue circle) flats at an odd angle...they don't really look right that way; try keeping them in 64x64 squares (or, if you want to get really fancy, build sectors for the circles themselves).

Your rooms, overall, need a lot more detail. They look mostly barren and unfinished. Try adding height variations, building lights into separate sectors, building computer terminals into the walls, et cetera. There's a lot you can do to spice up rooms. :)

Tormentor667 created an excellent guide to detailing Doom levels; I highly recommend you read through it for some ideas. http://www.tormentor667.de/index_2.php?action=art_articles_doomediting_chapter1

When I'm making a map, I tend to save the detailing for last. Yes, it's important, but so is gameplay. When you're finished tweaking the gameplay and creating the actual map, then I'd suggest you add the detail.

Craigs said:

When I'm making a map, I tend to save the detailing for last. Yes, it's important, but so is gameplay. When you're finished tweaking the gameplay and creating the actual map, then I'd suggest you add the detail.

That's a good point, but the screenshots were the only thing I could judge by, so I commented on visuals.

Lose the ceiling lights in the last screenshot, just make a plain ceiling with a few small sectors with lights in, also the door in number 3 is too short for the room, try and put it in an 'indent' or lower the ceiling. Other than that it looks pretty good, in a simple way, if the gameplay is good the lack of detail could be overlooked, and it is your first map after all, better than my first one at any rate

It looks good for a first map. Unlike most people's first maps, this one has pretty good map design, and a little detail can improve it. Before you add any more maps though, I'd suggest you try to add some more detail though.

Heights differences would do this wad alot of good. Start learning your multiples of 8 and 16 and dive on in!

Start with some stairs and ledges and stuff to that effect. Make use of one-way routes by having drop-offs, or put a key or weapon up on a ledge that you can't get to until later. A good map will make the player go "oh..." or "aha!"

Yeah... it needs detail! :P
Some hints: don't keep walls bare, on the contrary fill them with computer, windows, columns and such. The same thing goes for ceilings and floor: fill ceilings with light sources, skylights, rafters, whereas floors with tables, chairs, crates, broken tileds, blood stains, corpses and so on! It's easy to fill a room and make it detailed... it is just a little time-consuming! :P

well i was gona finish the map b4 i added the detail that way i dont lose track of what im doing or i lose what type of rooms/textures i want to put in.