Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bardcat

Great games?

I finished System Shock 2 a few weeks ago, and I can't really seem to find a game that tops it. Any reccomendations?

If you liked System Shock 2, I would highly recommend looking for Deus Ex (the original, not Invisible War), and any recent entry in the Elder Scrolls series (Morrowind or Oblivion). If you don't mind dated-looking graphics and questionable gameplay mechanics, then maybe Amulets & Armor would be another good one to look for (I think cheapalert had the full version on planetgargoyle.com at some point).

In that case, the Ultima Underworld games would also be good - just make sure you get the hang of the interface before you try fighting.

WildWeasel said:

not Invisible War

What? Murdering people was never more fun or easier than in that game.

Yeah Deus Ex is an obvious pick, same goes for the original System Shock. I can't think of any other titles that were as successful at being genre hybrids.

X-Moto is my latest addiction.

Other cool games I played recently are: Dark Forces; Uplink; Super Metroid; Battlezone (the remake); The Need for Speed SE; Pro Evolution Soccer 5; Gran Turismo 2; Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas; Battlefield 2; Command & Conquer; X-Men: Children of the Atom; Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo.

I guess it comes down to exactly what type of game genres you prefer. Of course, the original PC version of Deus Ex is easily my most recommended. A combination of first person shooter and role-playing elements. As well as a very intriguing storyline and environments based off of actual locations including New York City, the Statue of Liberty, and even more interesting and amazing locations you’d need to play to see.

If you’re interested in it, try out the demo via this link;
http://www.download.com/Deus-Ex-demo/3000-7539_4-2091435.html?tag=lst-0-1

Note: Filesize is 139.45MB.

As for other games, The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (and/or if you’re lucky enough to find a copy of, The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall). Aside from The Elder Scrolls series, if you’d rather be behind the wheel racing some wonderful sports cars, the Gran Turismo series may suit your need, or if you’re just looking for an all-out first person shooter frag fest, Unreal Tournament 2004.

Quast said:

What? Murdering people was never more fun or easier than in that game.

The lack of RPG elements and the severely dumbed-down interface are prime factors in my non-recommendation. I still think the game's good, but I don't think it's a good pick for those that have had experience with the first game (or System Shock 2).

WildWeasel said:

The lack of RPG elements and the severely dumbed-down interface are prime factors in my non-recommendation. I still think the game's good, but I don't think it's a good pick for those that have had experience with the first game (or System Shock 2).

I enjoyed the first game and I still thought the sequel was good, then again I focused ib what it had to offer, not what I wish it had.

Captain Red said:

Man. I wish I could play System Shock 2 under XP.

I swear to god almighty I am the only person on earth that can run everything without any issue in XP.

HobbsTiger1 said:

I swear to god almighty I am the only person on earth that can run everything without any issue in XP.

I personally havent had any trouble with anything on XP, but maybe I'm just god.

HobbsTiger1 said:

System shock 2 Vs Windows XP round 58 comming right up...

dammit.

i BEGAN playing SS2 fine on xp. i couldnt get into it mentally though. it runs fine..

a phenomenal and life changing game is Baldur's Gate 2

I guess if you are going to play Dues Ex 2, I'd play it before part 1, otherwise you'll pretty much know how to beat the game at the end of 2. Also I'm sure you'll find part 1 much more deep and complex after playing 2.
Not that 2 is a waste of time or anything...

No one mentioning the Thief series? By the same people as SS. IMO, Thief2 is the best of the series, followed by Thief then Thief3 which uses modern, pretty technology but lost a lot of the charm and individuality of the first two.

I actually liked Thief better, since Thief 2 felt too much like SS2 in too many places (like the bank). Then there's also the issue with the rather lame mask mission which uses the same map twice. And of course, the lack of zombies was a real downfall.

Both Thief and Thief2 were Awesome.

Seconding Total Annihilation for the RTS Genre.

I really need to fucking play Deus Ex all the way through. I keep gettign halfway into the second mission and getting bored. :/

Belial said:

the lack of zombies was a real downfall.

The lack of zombies is one of the things that makes me enjoy Thief2 more than Thief. IIRC They were removed because they were pretty unpopular. Each to their own though.

Why don't I see Starcraft here? :( That game rocks.

Of course it is still second to Total Annihilation.

Classic Unreal (not the expansion!). The first game before the expansion never tried but it got into my imagination quite a bit. I guess it was the music.

HobbsTiger1 said:

I swear, if you can get either Tyrian or Tyrian 2000 to work perfectly fine with both the sound and music on, then do show me.

alexz721 said:

Short answer: DOSBox?

If that doesn't work, I have other methods.

DOSBox, VDMSound, various tweaks to the exe file, tried them all