Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do you like traps in PWADs?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like traps in PWADs?

• Yes, I love them!
    • No, I hate them!
    • I am indifferent.

Most of the time, traps are poorly labelled and extremely frustrating. I always thought that crushing ceilings should never have been put in Doom. Floors that sink into lava/sludge/acid are even worse, especially if there's no way to escape from them.

WildWeasel said:

Most of the time, traps are poorly labelled and extremely frustrating. I always thought that crushing ceilings should never have been put in Doom. Floors that sink into lava/sludge/acid are even worse, especially if there's no way to escape from them.

You fail it. Learn movement skills.

WildWeasel said:

I'm of the opposite opinion. I find it a pity that maps these days hardly ever have any crushing ceilings. There's some much unexplored possabilities with them.

/me adds crushing ceilings to his Doom3 maps.

Traps are Brilliant!
Only if they are done well, and are not made like a Shit.
i like Crusher traps, you can make nice effects with them and stuff, But i hate traps where like 400 Monsters teleport into the room you are in...... ...Thay suck.

- sausage -

WildWeasel said:
especially if there's no way to escape from them.

If it's poisonous, it's fine, at least as long as it's placed in the right location according to the design; though obviously it should inflict the maximum amount of damage (since the point is that if you fall in there, you're dead).

Bashe said:

Escapable traps: ok
Inescapable traps: FUCK YOU

Hahahaha. :D

Traps in Doom add some excitement. :D Especially in multiplayer, but in Single Player it's scary to have a ceiling that's at 100 high start coming down as a crusher out of nowhere. :D Or a random radiation pit in the middle of a hallway.

I admit though, I am guilty of making a map where if you press a wrong switch/wall the roof lowers as a crusher. :D It seemed like such an awesome idea at the time. :D

I am indifferent. I don't think there should be an innevatability to it... Like for example "I am going to pick up the red key... better get ready for the obligatory ambush"... But like others have said, so long as it is done well and is genuinely surprising, they can add to a map.

WildWeasel said:

I agree with this 100%. I can't think of many more annoying things than surprise crushers on regular-looking passages...

Monster traps can be ok, but still, way too many wads use them in uninteresting ways. I played Xexis from Newstuff yesterday. One specific trap with lots of revenants was very cool, because it was actually surprising. Beats those overused tricks any day.

sausage said:

Traps are Brilliant!
Only if they are done well, and are not made like a Shit.

Personally I like the really crappily made traps, like when a certain ceiling is supposed to crush and the whole map crushes, or when monsters are supposed to teleport and only one does.

as long as you get a fighting chance, traps are fine. This is howI always thought of doom was: a bunch of nasty surprizes, but nothing you can't handle.