Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Checkmate

Boom timer question

Let's say you have a trap in prboom like so:
Player walks into a room. Door shuts behind him, monsters come out. Is there a way to make the door open after the last monster is killed? Or maybe ways to make the door open after a certain amount of time(other than the default delays)? I did a timer that waits for a wall to lower in front of a switch in my first wad, using the wall height as the time adjuster. I just don't like it much.

Ismaele said:

You could do it with ACS Scripts, if you used ZDoom!

Go away.

Although Boom doesnt contain any way I'm aware to open doors after all or some monsters die in a room, you can use a voodoo conveyor belt to have a door open again after a set amount of time.

Or use the original Doom lindef - used in a number of places, but most obviously on the red key room door in E1M6. The door shuts for about 30 seconds IIRC.

The generalized types max is 30 seconds. The time I'm looking for is around 1.5 minutes. I think I have an alternative solution involving raising stairs to get you up and out of the room. If they're 'slits' they won't be noticed and I can adjust the time by their starting depth. Thanks for the input guys.

You could add a .DEH lump to hack the behaviour of some monsters, like Mancubi in map07 of "Doom 2", which lower walls.

Ismaele said:

You could add a .DEH lump to hack the behaviour of some monsters, like Mancubi in map07 of "Doom 2", which lower walls.

Which, no matter what pointers you reassigned to what monsters, would only work on the designated maps.

use the KEENDIE pointer on your monsters, provided they all are the same species:

1. copy a monster in dehacked by making a spare item, such as a lamp, use the exact same flags, frames and sprites.

2. apply KEENDIE to the end of it's death frames (you may need seperate death frames from the original monster)

3. place these identical cloned monsters inside your trap

4. set up a voodoo script where the voodoo doll is blocked by a door tagged 666.

when all the monsters in the trap die the door will open and allow the voodoo doll to continue.

Though for speed runners you might want to make it possible to escape the trap by being very very fast or by getting someting to block the trap from closing or by being able to exit via an insane lava pit rocket jump. etc.

Thanks cycloid, I'll keep that in mind for next time. Haven't used dehacked yet (or scripting) so that's a possibility for my next map. I plan on using both for it.