Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi again, i recently got this cool idea(to me) to make a map centered on traps and not monsters! The idea is to make a map with certain traps and obstacles the get harder to bypass as you go along in the map. There are monsters but very few, unless you play on UV. And they are just there to make getting by the traps harder, not really to kill as i wont give u much ammo. Anyways, i have started work on the map already and im already liking it. I think that this map will test my creativity and the players ablitities and problem solving. I have no screens as it is bound to be an ugly map, im more worried about the traps than what it looks like :). Maybe its been done in doom before, maybe not.

I've always wanted to make a pure trap map, with few to no monsters, but my grip on doom editing is far too loose.

I think everything that people can come up with has been done before.
But you idea sounds quite good ive never made such an map in my mapping career, it would be cool to have one of those in my megawad some day.

Use exit switches as traps just when you think you move onto the next level your will be fighting monsters instead.
Or when you hit the exit switch exploding barrels teleport in.

dutch devil said:

I think everything that people can come up with has been done before.
But you idea sounds quite good ive never made such an map in my mapping career, it would be cool to have one of those in my megawad some day.

Use exit switches as traps just when you think you move onto the next level your will be fighting monsters instead.
Or when you hit the exit switch exploding barrels teleport in.

Its more like, if you step here and not here, you die. And, if you hit this switch you die but not if you hit that one. And,this door leads to death and this one leads to the exit, you just have to follow patterns and clues to get there.

Th0r said:

Its more like, if you step here and not here, you die. And, if you hit this switch you die but not if you hit that one. And,this door leads to death and this one leads to the exit, you just have to follow patterns and clues to get there.

Sounds like hexen with a dash of extra gay.

EDIT: Not that hexen itself was gay in the first place.

HobbsTiger1 said:

Sounds like hexen with a dash of extra gay.

Thanks.

My trap map would follow the rules of traps: They shouldnt be unavoidable, they should be obvious enough to the player that they can figure out the solution. There is nothing I hate more then stepping on a line and exploding for no good reason, because it means that the player needed a PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE of the map. My trap maps would be completable without dying once. I suppose I'm thinking more of Trap/Puzzle maps, like Massmus, of which I am a fan.

Sounds like a somewhat interesting idea.
But you still need to make the maps look good.

Meh, maybe if i do a second one. For now its all about the traps themselves. The map wont be hideous but i wont make it pretty.

This idea (puzzle/trap-based map with few monsters) brings to mind two maps:
STRAIN map21
Eye of the Beholder map03

But in general I'd say that instant-death traps are a very bad idea, especially when the player has no sort of warning whatsoever.

Grazza said:

This idea (puzzle/trap-based map with few monsters) brings to mind two maps:
STRAIN map21
Eye of the Beholder map03

But in general I'd say that instant-death traps are a very bad idea, especially when the player has no sort of warning whatsoever.

Theres hints, pretty obvious too. Its not like you'll be completly oblivious where the traps are.

I think a good trap/puzzle map should include a lot of timed doors, switches that dont have an immediately obvious effect, and traps that are somewhat obvious, but still witty and original. And remember, traps dont always have to kill you!

I'll guess the type of traps will be pretty limited:

The few main types would be: (I'm refering to Vanilla as usual)
Crushing ceilings
Monsters ambush
Nukage pools
Instant-death
Pits (with no exits)

Advanced ports like Skulltag can probably do (much) more though. You are using Skulltag Th0r right?

XXoXX said:

Monsters ambush
Instant-death
Pits (with no exits)

Probably not the best ideas, because the monsters would ruin the puzzle atmosphere, Instant-death is never a good idea unless the player has a pretty obvious sign that it would happen (but I'd make mine so that you could get through all the maps without dying) and pits with no exits would pretty much ruin the map. Pits that you drop into and teleport back to the beginning of that certain puzzle would be good though.

Ok that was alot of random instant death stuff...
Not enough of a puzzle solving type thing.
It was kindof fun though

I used this idea too, in KS map20, but that one also includes one huge-mass-of-monsters-from-all-the-sides trap.

I made a puzzle map for Hexen once. Well basically I just wanted to learn how to script and use every item I could think of. If you want I can send you the map, it never actually made it on to the idarchives.

There's one or two in there I really like :D

beanenator said:

can i finsh it if you dont want to finsh it just asking

Why dont you just make your own?

If you want to finish it IDC be my guest. If it was a joke, it wasnt funny btw.