Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
entryway

High Resolution Pack and models for Doom

I have downloaded the High Resolution Pack for Duke3d and have tested it with EDuke32 and I have been amazed. All models, all textures, all is made ideally and as much as possible similar to the original and made for short time. Why we have such crappy models and hi-res textures for Doom? Really we have no talented people?

The Doom community has talented people, but as long as software-rendered ports are the preferred standard, it's unlikely that something like this will be undertaken.

As far as models go, I've seen pictures of several that DaniJ is developing for JDoom and they look amazing, but I have no idea what their current status is or how long it will take to finish the entire set.

Edit: This thread shows some of the JDoom models, though it's more than a year and a half old, so...

I think the problem with the existing hi-res textures is that most of them seem to have been created by simply increasing the size of the texture and then applying a textured overlay.

Also hi-res textures in DoomsDay (and may be without them) slow down my Doom3-ready PC. I wish to test it with GZDoom. How can I create HIRESTEX lump? What the syntax?

GZDoom works quickly and fine, but the hi-res textures do not become less awful of course. Doom with them looks like New Year tree :(

GZDoom works quickly and fine, but the hi-res textures do not become less awful of course. Doom with them looks like New Year tree :(

I have seen you bitching time and time again about the textures. So why don't you help make them better of shut the fuck up!

mod when you come to edit this post please just edit the last part after entryway has seen it

Simon said:

I have seen you bitching time and time again about the textures. So why don't you help make them better of shut the fuck up!

1. Not everybody is capable of making graphics.
2. Even if someone doesn't he still has the right to voice his opinion.
3. Entryway is right. Most of the available hires textures for Doom are utter crap.

Simon said:

Entryway has the right to voice his opinion, and he most certainly does plenty enough for the community, whether he makes graphics or not.

Besides, its not really an opinion, a great many hi res textures for Doom look like someone just found out what photoshop was and decided to fuck about (read: crap).

entryway said:

Why we have such crappy models and hi-res textures for Doom? Really we have no talented people?

Sorry, you only get bums like me.

/me farts

chilvence said:

Sorry, you only get bums like me.

I didn't know that you did textures too. I thought you did models for Heretic and Hexen only. I should say that any models for Heretic and Hexen looks much better than any known to me for Doom and I used them always when I played Heretic/Hexen last time.

entryway said:

I didn't know that you did textures too. I thought you did models for Heretic and Hexen only.

I just do bits and pieces here and there myself, sometimes they turn out nice, and others they dont. I found out what photoshop was one day and decided to fuck about.

kristus said:

but atleast it's a lot better than the current hi-res texture pack.

Also, it should not be such dark. In GZDoom and Doomsday with the current hi-res textures we have more gloomy views than without them

I found out what photoshop was one day and decided to fuck about.

:)

Also, it should not be such dark. In GZDoom and Doomsday with the current hi-res textures we have more gloomy views than without them

Well you could always go there download the texture, fix it up to get it to suit your needs then re-upload it. (remebering to say who did the original that you edited) then we are that little bit closer to a better texture pack ^^

Simon said:

Well you could always go there download the texture, fix it up to get it to suit your needs then re-upload it. (remebering to say who did the original that you edited) then we are that little bit closer to a better texture pack ^^

Sorry, I was wrong. I've got used to the GLBoom light system. (I can see all walls from start point at MAP27) Actually levels look more similar to vanilla with GZDoom (with Doom sector light mode) and Doomsday and they (levels) look equally darkly with and without hi-res