Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Scariest sound?

Oh yeah, I remember it was used in a mapset I reviewed for the "oldstuff" /newstuff (which claimed to have used sounds from the Laura Beyer levels). Interesting that none of the Eternal Doom .txt files makes any mention of this (it just says it features "select new sounds").

For me the scariest sound, is the scream that makes the Space Marine when it´s killed.
I remember when I wuz 4 years old, it wuz the first time I played Doom with Sound and a stupid IMP killed me... I suffered a lot :´(

Kristian Ronge said:
Interesting that none of the Eternal Doom .txt files makes any mention of this (it just says it features "select new sounds").

Sheer embarrassment, probably. The sounds were the worst thing in the wad, except maybe also for some textures that weren't very good.

For most of you it's the Archy, but the scariest sound I heard was a mix of 3 monsters, but a few of the same monsters, here i list:

2 Cyber Demons
4 Archviles
10 Barons of Hell

Do you know how freaking SCARY that was? It could make even some of the best players quible in fear going " oh...my...god...Keep them...AWAy...AHH!..." or sort of like that.. ;-; It made my friend who was by go " HOLY ****, THAT WAS SCARY!! " and dang, we hid because of it.

The constant howl of dozens of Demons when you have no idea where they are, especially when they're getting closer and closer. That sound just makes my skin crawl.

The activation sounds of a Baron or Revenant often make me jump.

But hearing any monster and not seeing it is unnerving.

I hate how you walk into a room, collect a key, light goes out, and the you hear a loud noise of a group of Shotgun guys or Imps surround you and scare the living crap out of you.

In psx doom the arachnatrons wandering around sound creeped me out especially in the factory where thers loads! cant forget the cybies sound though!

OMG SCARY SOUNDS. To be honest, I was actually pretty shocked about the sound of the Cybie walking around, but I just thought it made sense. If anything in Doom was ever unnerving or scary (for me anyway), it was the Arch-Vile's death sound. It sounds like it's saying "Why?" and almost makes you feel sorry for it. Until you come across another one, then you're too busy trying to kill it again. :E The 'Alert' sound of a Baron is pretty cool, too.

I walked into a sector... then suddenly I hear a terribly scary archvile FART! Then I crapped in my pants with even more terribly scary FART! The archvile heart stopped and he died.

I vote for my FART! sound.

I would walk up into a room, then "MOOOOO". Big deal, just a cyberdemon. Then take another step, "MOOOMOOMMOOOOOMMOOOO" Oh crap.

It's not one cyberdemon sound that scares me, it is the fact that there are many in the area.

A fresh warp into any level you have not played before, you carry just a pistol, and immediately hear two or more revs scream right behind you. That tests the nerves a little.

The scariest sound is the one which gives you serious reasons to panic. Something that can end the game any time. That being the Cyberdemon's BLOOOO and his thunks.

Another sound, not too scary, but alarming and disturbing, is the Revenant scream. Revenants can destroy you one-on-one pretty easily so you want to choose the panic gun, the Plasma Rifle.

The IMP's shrilly screech and that strange errie gargaling clicking noise always made my shoulders hunch up and my hair at the back of my neck stand-up, why? cuz fireballs usually follows right after. And the sloppy wet grunt of the pig DEMON gets me too, Especially in areas shrouded in darkness or low visablity.

Tsar,

The Revenents start up screech.
About all of the Archvile sounds.

That empty, dead hiss of the Spider Demon as it sees you. Fuck.

Can Anyone tell me where the sounds DSMANATK and DSMANDTH are used? i was looking through the sound file in XWE and didn't recognise them.
THey sound pretty creepy. (If they are Mancubus one, I'ma feel like a total jackass :D)

Nothing is scary in Doom because the enviornment is too cartoony to be horrific.

But PSX/N64/Saturn Doom is a different story.

Whenever I'm using the PSX sound wad on PC doom, or playing N64/PSX incarnations of the game, the teleportation sound often makes my heart skip a beat because when it's not activated by me, it can only mean trouble.

A while back I had my speakers up high, and pressed a switch and at least two barons popped up from behind me. Wasnt expecting the loud roars, my eyes bugged out a little bit.

Doomguy's DSPLPAIN sound played backwards. That's pretty scary, for reasons you won't comprehend until it will be too late...

I think any sound in Doom can be scary, pending on the situation of the map. I was playing Hellcore map03, and when I plunked the exit button, a revenant stormed out and scared the shit out of me.