Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigBearBurp

PrBoom with OS X

Any idea how to run the darn thing?
It's the latest version (2.4.1)
I did what it told me to do-run PrBoom once, and put the IWAD into users/Library/ApplicationSupport/PrBoom. Nothing..

On the lighter side. I've managed to convince Bob Larkin to fix up Strain so that It'll run with Legacy, and I think Skulltag (tho' I'm not sure about that)
go to http://www.doomwadstation.com/main/strain and try the fixed version.

any PrBoom ideas welcomed

JB

If you have a PPC (non-Intel) processor you pretty much do what it says to run it.

If you have an x86 (Intel) processor then you have to um, compile it yourself. x86 Macs exist, programs dont.

Thanks for the reply HobbsTiger1
but I must be a bit dumb. You'll have to walk me through the steps, unless PRBoom creates another folder in user library under Application Support.

Will try again--later

BBB (aka JB)

HobbsTiger1 said:

If you have a PPC (non-Intel) processor you pretty much do what it says to run it.

If you have an x86 (Intel) processor then you have to um, compile it yourself. x86 Macs exist, programs dont.

Yes, for a time we were unable to do universal builds of Prboom, and apparently it would not run under Rosetta.

The SDL people were kind enough to get a universal build going, though, so later versions of PrBoom ARE universal and should run just fine on any Mac running OS X 10.4 (earlier versions I can't vouch for).

Just clarifying things in case anyone sees this and gets misled.

Latest version of prboom for Mac is 2.4.5 NOT 2.4.1, you might want to download the latest version and see if that fixes your problem.

HobbsTiger1 said:

Uh you do know that with Rosetta you can run PPC applications on an x86.

aca said:

Not all apps. And apparently apps using SDL are some of those that don't work. But, that's why we started making universal builds to begin with.

And, since he who actually does the Mac builds is on an Intel machine, but he who has done most of the Mac porting and testing is on a PPC machine, there's good reason to believe that we ensure continued Prboom functionality on both sides.

And heh a lot has changed since my first post. Obviously you can get a universal .dmg for PrBoom now.

aca said:

Ya, but I also knew when I first posted that rosetta didn't get along with PrBoom.