Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doom_user

Menu problem resolved, but I can't get my gamepad working completely

I just downloaded Eternity, but I'm having problems navigating the menu screens with multiple pages. Several threads stated that I should hold "Ctrl" and press the left or right arrow, but the instant I press "Ctrl" I'm taken back to the main menu.

?

I just realized that in my sleep deprived state I accidently posted this in the "Source Ports" forum, when it probably belongs in the "Eternity" forum, is it possible to get this thread moved?

Doom_user said:

I just realized that in my sleep deprived state I accidently posted this in the "Source Ports" forum, when it probably belongs in the "Eternity" forum, is it possible to get this thread moved?

Done.

Upon further testing yesterday, I've found that if I actually start a level and then access the menu screen, this error won't occur. It only seems to happen if a game isn't actively in progress.

Now I'm having a different problem, after I enable my gamepad, I can map any player function to it, but Eternity only seems to recognize buttons 1-4 and won't allow me to use buttons 5-8.

Edit: (A bit off-topic) I'm aware that Eternity can playback Doom2 1.9 and Boom 2.02 demos, but can it record them as well?

This must be some kind of responder related problem, I'll fix it up soon.

As for gamepads, yes, EE currently only supports the first four buttons because this is all that DOOM has ever had support for. Hopefully if I am capable of resolving all the lingering IO design issues left over from DOS, I can fix this too.

After testing in the newest SVN build, I cannot replicate this problem. Can anyone else verify a problem with the ctrl+left/right shortcuts for menu paging?

If so, I need to know the exact version you are using. This means if you downloaded one of joe's SVN distribs, I need to know which.

The menu screen thing occurs for me in ee3.33.33-win32 and EternityR116, I haven't tested any other versions.

There's another problem I've encountered, after melting from the Eternity Engine credits screen, the entire screen HOMs for about 10 seconds before it melts to the titlepic again.

In case it's important, my computer is approximately 14 years old, has a 0.333 GHZ processor, 128 MB of RAM, and a NVIDIA RIVA TNT graphics card.

@Doom_user

Perhaps you should not be so hasty in blaming fair eternity here. I believe the HOM is caused by the fact that freedoom's creditpic is completely transparent. This makes the screen appear completely black in zdoom and makes eternity do its hom thing. This problem is not evident in using any other iwad. I thought it odd this problem didn't occur in freedoom's doom1.wad too, but i realised that the credit pic isn't shown in favour of ordering info (in freedoom's case, ralphis haxoring).

My mistake, I should have noticed this too, when I went through Lava Factory and De Kerker a fews days ago using the official Doom 2 wad there weren't any HOMs in the menu screen. Now that this is known, perhaps an actual creditpic can be added to the next version of Free Doom.

Classic case of garbage in, garbage out :P Now, how about that ctrl+left/right problem? I have added a line of code to MN_StartControlPanel just in case that should prevent any problems of this sort in the future, but we'll see.

Quasar said:

Classic case of garbage in, garbage out :P Now, how about that ctrl+left/right problem? I have added a line of code to MN_StartControlPanel just in case that should prevent any problems of this sort in the future, but we'll see.

Is there a revision newer than 116 that implements this or will it be in the next official release? Either way, I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I get a chance to test it.

-

Off-topic, but Eternity related...

With "stretch short skies" off, Eternity (right) renders the sky texture 1 pixel lower than it should. I tested this against Chocolate Doom (left).