• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nategorga

A few questions from a Editing Newbie

Okay, this is my first post.
I have a few DOOM editing questions.
Okay, here they go...

- In DOOM Builder, how do you end levels? (Exept for placing Icon of Sin there.)

- How do you make/edit cutscenes? (Text and/or action)

Here's some answers

1. You can end the levels in two ways if you make a map for Doom II. By giving a linedef the Linedef Action: "S1 Exit Level (11)". Then when you use that wall in the game, you will end that level. Preferrably to use thie Action on a switch or similar. To make you end the level when you walk over something, make the Linedef Action: "W1 Exit Level (52)".

If you use Doom2:
Text cutscenes, like those between map06 and map07 in doom2 you need Dehacked to edit, while action cutscenes are impossible to make as far as i know

If you use ZDoom
You can add/change/delete text cutscenes in the MAPINFO lump, and when it comes to action cutscenes, try some ACS Scripting

Okay, a three more questions.

- How do you end a level (in DoomBuilder) by killing a certain enemy? (Like, kill an Arch-Vile, beat the level.)

- How do you make a teleporter in Doombuilder

- What program do you use to modify MAPINFO?

response to teleport question.

what you do is create a sector in the room that will house the teleport.

right click on a linedef to open linedef properties. from there go to linedef action, select teleport and select the kind of teleport you want to use depending on the situation.

having finished that go to sector tag and type in "1" if this is the first tag, "2" for second and so on.

now select a sector for the teleports' exit tag that sector with the same number you used for the entrance.

then you enter "things" mode and select "teleport destination" and place this in any part of your teleport exit sector.

After you do the engineering you can apply a texture or leave it hidden for a trap or ambush.

nategorga said:

Okay, a three more questions.

- How do you end a level (in DoomBuilder) by killing a certain enemy? (Like, kill an Arch-Vile, beat the level.)

- How do you make a teleporter in Doombuilder

-Unless you're using Zdoom, you've got very few options. If you're using Doom 2, the only way to end the level through a monster's death is to use the Icon of sin.

If you're using Doom 1, you can place a boss monster on the either e2m8 or e3m8 level. When the player kills that monster, the level exits. You could also use Dehacked to make it so that killing a certain monster will exit the level, but that's pretty advanced stuff.

-You create a teleporter with the teleport linedef action. Simply select the linedef, choose the teleport action you want, tag the sector, and place a teleport destination thing in the tagged sector facing the direction you want the player to face when he teleports.

-Believe it or not, you use note pad to edit the MAPINFO. Simply do all the MAPINFO stuff on a notepad document, and save it as MAPINFO.lmp.

nategorga said:

You can take two different approaches here: Dehacked patches, or use the zdoom-hexen map format.

If using dehacked, you can use the codepointer that ends the level (used by the icon of sin) and you can place it onto the death sequence of any type of monster. The set-backs here are that all monsters of that type will end the level, unless you create a special copy of that monster and put the codepointer only on that thing. For creating and editing dehacked patches, you need to get WhackEd2 by Exl. Google should help you find it.

If your wad is for ZDoom, ZDaemon, or Skulltag, then you can use the ZDoom-hexen format, and simply give the monster in question a "thing action" that ends the level. These are sorta like giving a linedef action to a monster. When they die, the action is executed. This is only available in the ports I mentioned.

Personally, I would use an internal dehacked patch (with an optional external one) because you can reach a greater range of port compatibility.

nategorga said:

You need XWE or some lump management utility to get to the MAPINFO, but any text editor will let you modify it. XWE has a built-in text editor, btw, so you don't really need to use notepad or whatever.

Okay, just to let you all know, I use Skulltag as my main source-port,
and I'm pretty sure it's a modified version of ZDoom.
There.

It's your choice what you do with your wad. If you make it Skulltag-only though, and not ZDoom compatible (this includes Skulltag and ZDaemon), then you are restricting your target audience to only using that port. Just remember that the port you use, is not necessarily the port others use.

But enough talk on that. Do you need any further help with anything? I've got the day off with nothing better to do.

Same here. I try to avoid using Skull tag as much as possible since it's more or less the same thing as Zdoom. It's great if you're making multiplayer maps though.

nategorga said:

I never make maps in Skulltag format. Its ZDoom or Doom2

Ah, so you test the maps with Skull Tag?
If you're working with Zdoom, it's generally a good idea to test it with Zdoom, since Skull Tag doesn't offer complete Zdoom support.

I use both. Skulltag is my MAIN. I test with ZDoom, then play it on Skulltag.
Also, is there any way to modify text in a wad without using dehacked, because Dehacked makes a patch, but I want it to be in the same WAD as my weapon mod.
And how do you edit the weapons, not just there graphics, but actually EDIT them in a wad and not a Dehacked Patch?

Well if you learn exactly what dehacked does you can edit it in notepad...

so if you had a "dehacked" entry in a wad you could edit it with XWE...

But how would I do that?
And one more question:
How do I put more than one level in a WAD?
And is there a program that can Merge two PWADs?

nategorga said:

How do I put more than one level in a WAD?
And is there a program that can Merge two PWADs?

Map editors such as DeepSea allow you to create additional maps in your wad. (However, not all map editors allow you to do this.) There's a program called mergewad that will allow you to merge two or more wads into a single one.

nategorga said:

And how do you edit the weapons, not just there graphics, but actually EDIT them in a wad and not a Dehacked Patch?

The other way to edit weapons is to use ZDooM, but as you appear to be trying to master the basics of DooM editing I suggest you stick to DooM with DeHacked (which is a challenge enough for someone starting out).

I'm making a Weapon Replacment, and I'm trying to make it as well as possible.
Also, wheres a tutorial for the ZDooM you were talking about?

nategorga said:

I'm making a Weapon Replacment, and I'm trying to make it as well as possible.
Also, wheres a tutorial for the ZDooM you were talking about?

I don't believe there is a single tutorial for ZDooM. However, there's an active forum for the source port. Learning the details of ZDooM may take quite a bit longer than learning the details of DeHacked.

Thats what I use.
Also, is it possible to run a console command with a weapon?
Heres what I want to do:
I want, lets say, the pistol, when shot to execute the mvc console command. How do I do this?