Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Amaster

New game-based movies.

Dont think this is timeline.

No Im not talking about Postal and Halo. Im talking about Castlevania and Pac-Man, Yes that's right, a movie based on pacman. I read somewhere that the pac-man screenplay is nearly finalized. How about them apples.

Oh yeah Crystal Sky is also doing a movie based on Tekken. Who's excited?!

Heh. Man, I've gotta finish my Lunar script.

Then again, to finish it, I suppose I'd need to start it.

It's all in my head though. Along with 2,000 other stories :(

Pac-man makes me wonder. The very first message board thread on the IMDB page that you linked to was exactly the question I thought when I read your post: "how can this be made???"

On the other hand, it gives me hope that the Tetris movie isn't far behind.

Lüt said:
Pac-man makes me wonder. The very first message board thread on the IMDB page that you linked to was exactly the question I thought when I read your post: "how can this be made???"

Considering the late slew of movies for children that animate just about anything (toys, cars, etc.), it shouldn't be too surprising.

Heh, yeah, I thought of that. Or Pong.

myk said:

Considering the late slew of movies for children that animate just about anything (toys, cars, etc.), it shouldn't be too surprising.

Oh really?

Yeah, I haven't been keeping an eye on the children's media market the past decade, pardon me :P

Lüt said:

Actually. the original creator of tetris went insane and murdered his family. Might make a good movie, some crazed russian with crazy eyes and axe in hand, tetris music in the background as he stares into space.

dum de de dum da de dum de de dum da da dum de de dum da dum dum dum...

After the Doom3 movie, I just dont see any reason to go on with this charade that any Game based movies will be good.

Either Uwe or Hollywood will think. LAWL THIS IS CRAP LETS MAKE IT GOOD LIKE ONLY WE CAN!!

kristus said:

After the Doom3 movie...

You mean Mario, Street Fighter, etc etc... didn't already give you clues? ;)

kristus said:

I just dont see any reason to go on with this charade that any Game based movies will be good.

Or anything to do with the game they are "based on" for that matter.

Bashe said:

Pac-man...the movie?

*has an aneurysm*

There we go, something good came out of it already.

Pac-Man had his own cartoon in the eighties that was pretty good. If it’s animated ten I think it would rock. How ever 3D or live action would suck.

Enjay said:

You mean Mario, Street Fighter, etc etc... didn't already give you clues? ;)

Well, I thought Street fighter was silly and crappy, so the movie was pretty accurate imo. :p

I've not seen the mario movie. I did see the cartoon once, and some crap they had inbetween that that was really sad and pathetic, with a fat guy acting as mario and this thin dude as luigi. I wasn't old when I saw it, but it did make me want to kill something, preferably myself.

I am probably alone on this, but the first Mortal Kombat movie did do the trick for me. Although it didn't have anywhere near the gore in it that you would expect from a Mortal Kombat movie. And it was kind of silly, but so are the games too really. Then I watched the sequel and again got severely depressed and wanted to kill myself and whoever decided that Rayden was gonna go around being some emo fag.

Anyway, I really do believe it's quite possible to make good movies off of computer games like Doom and Mortal Kombat and Tomb Raider etc. But for that to happen there's a lot that need to happen first.

The two main things I can think of are.

The director need to actually have respect for the franchise he's working on.

The director need to know what the fuck he is doing. (I'm looking at you here Uwe)

Movies based on comics are often much better, probably because Comics are a older medium than computer games. So the people working on them probably had them when they grew up, and therefor got a much better understanding of what applies. Or I might be full of it.

But it doesn't matter really.
Most games being made today have a lot of the qualities you look for in a movie. While they dabbled with interactive movies in the mid 90'ies, the games today are more like interactive movies, than the interactive movies of that day.

Sorry for ranting.

I can't wrap my brain around just how stupid Pac-Man as a premise for a movie is, other than something for little kids that they shouldn't even bother reporting as news.

But Castlevania is freaking sweet! Drool...

As it is, Silent Hill has been the only really good movie so far. The first Mortal Kombat was semi-respectable. The makers of the second Mortal Kombat should kill themselves, not that I care about the MK franchise much at all, just for making such an awfully retarded movie.

Still haven't seen the Doom movie yet. It's pretty funny I didn't even know when it went through theaters and was surprised to see the DVD lying around at a friend's house already.

mallis said:

Actually. the original creator of tetris went insane and murdered his family. Might make a good movie, some crazed russian with crazy eyes and axe in hand, tetris music in the background as he stares into space.

dum de de dum da de dum de de dum da da dum de de dum da dum dum dum...

Where did you hear that? I just looked up the creators of tetris on wikipedia and it seems they're doing fine mentally with no slaughter being done.

How can you make a movie based on Pac-Man?

Unless of course it is a come back of the old 80's Cartoon series, that would be grand!

Enjay said:

It seems to me that, in the vast majority of cases, this can be the only thing that gives the movie a chance of being good in the first place.

At least, that's how I'm planning mine.

Hopes are not high in the CV community for the Castlevania movie once it was discovered that Paul Anderson is the director :P

I'll probably have to see it even if it gets rotten reviews, though. I'm just that CV-crazed ;)

Gokuma said:

Where did you hear that? I just looked up the creators of tetris on wikipedia and it seems they're doing fine mentally with no slaughter being done.

remember now, this is dn here

and kristus, don't you ever call captain lou albano pathetic, he's my widdle fat mario :(

kristus said:

I am probably alone on this, but the first Mortal Kombat movie did do the trick for me...

Heh, that's actually why I deliberately left it out of my short list. ;)

kristus said:

Movies based on comics are often much better, probably because Comics are a older medium than computer games. So the people working on them probably had them when they grew up, and therefor got a much better understanding of what applies. Or I might be full of it.

Often, true, but sometimes they "fail it" big time. "Judge Dredd" got so many things very, very wrong and only a handful of things right. It is a classic example of the film makers not "getting" the original product and what made it work.

Quasar said:

Hopes are not high in the CV community for the Castlevania movie once it was discovered that Paul Anderson is the director :P

I'll probably have to see it even if it gets rotten reviews, though. I'm just that CV-crazed ;)

HE's STILL MAKING MOVIES?

good god. his movies were teh suck.

alexz721 said:

I can't imagine it being very long.

I dunno, you got more quarters?

Didn't Anderson make "Event Horizon"? That movie is not "teh suck".

Yup, people usually agnowledge it as the one he did right. But I don't know what other movies he made.

kristus said:

Well, I thought Street fighter was silly and crappy, so the movie was pretty accurate imo. :p

Mr. Adams as M. Bison, and Jean Claude as Guile, what more could I want! Maybe it's because I like corny things and Jean Claude, but I love the Street Fighter movie. Every time M. Bison picks on Sagat or Zanchief says something silly I roll around the room in a shoroyuuken of laughter. :D Though it did disappoint me to not see any real Street Fighters move dee-lee's. There were a few that were close and a tiny bit of a Hadoken. But I wanted to see Ryu turtle in the corner and spam the thing for two minutes flat while endless drones flood in the door and keep getting vaped. :D There was a lot of weird things with the movie, but there was enough to make me like it. :D

kristus said:

I've not seen the mario movie. I did see the cartoon once, and some crap they had inbetween that that was really sad and pathetic, with a fat guy acting as mario and this thin dude as luigi. I wasn't old when I saw it, but it did make me want to kill something, preferably myself.

HEY PIZANOS! IT'S THE SUPER MARIO BROTHERS SUPER SHOW! :D
Ahaha, I would watch that show every day. While Captain Lou Albano was a, different, Mario, it was enough to convince me. :D

kristus said:

I am probably alone on this, but the first Mortal Kombat movie did do the trick for me. Although it didn't have anywhere near the gore in it that you would expect from a Mortal Kombat movie. And it was kind of silly, but so are the games too really. Then I watched the sequel and again got severely depressed and wanted to kill myself and whoever decided that Rayden was gonna go around being some emo fag.

I really liked the Mortal Kombat movies. I never really understood what made them "so horrible," but that's probably because I don't understand movies that much or the MK games that much. :D But it had the characters, and some of the moves to the point where it satisfied me. :D Also it had that awesome theme which I can never stop singing. :D I never really understood the whole Sub-Zero thing with the second movie though. But I loved watching Kangy turning into a dragon to TEST HIS MIGHT. :D But I too was a bit disappointed with Rayden too. I wanted to see him body dive around the place and shoot lightning but instead he goes all "I'm gonna ponder life and stuff." :D