Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_master1122

what is he maximum amount of sector you can have.

The biggest map (and hence the biggest sector) is roughly 12000x12000 units. The limitation is the BLOCKMAP lump, and it depends on how many linedefs you have.

Some ports will ignore the BLOCKMAP lump and build their own, then the limit is more like 32000x32000.

I made a series of strange styled maps where the map extends to the limits of the map format, where the main sector is roughly 32512 x 32512. It displays some weird glitches with hearing sounds in odd places or at full volume, but one of the levels (now gone) was a bit smaller than the rest and didn't exhibit any strange behavior.

A good way to see if this glitch exists is to make your map to the size you would like to test and fire a stream of rockets into the wall while running backwards. When you start hearing rockets at full volume, you've encountered the sound glitch. By the way, breaking up the sectors into smaller ones does not fix the problem.

The only visual glitches I've ever seen with a large sector is the wrapping/line-warping effect, which only happens when your map exceeds a width or height of 32767.

I've had this problem in 2 maps. In both maps you can here ambient sounds from the other side of the map. Ex: being on the extreme eastern side you can here sounds from the extreme western side. The sounds fade gradually when you walk away from them like normal.

Doom_master1122 said:

for some reason when i made a map/level i had over 244 sectors
and had lots o leaksge coming through

Nah...! =P The biggest map I have ever made counts more than 2200 sectors and I haven't got any problem with it! Well... it requires ZDoom. :P

Doom_master1122 said:

for some reason when i made a map/level i had over 244 sectors
and had lots o leaksge coming through

You mention "leakage". Can you explain this further? Maybe a screenshot? For a minute there it's starting to sound like you're experiencing slime trails or something. Also, are your sectors closed correctly?

A Millennium map I did with Erik Alm currently has 3,717 sectors, but a lot of them were merged once the level was finished, so the count would probably be more accurately averaged around at least 8,000, and testing never posed any abnormal problems. Theoretically 32,768 (or 65,536 depending on the engine you're using) should be the limit, but that limit applies to all data and segs, sidedefs or vertices would reach that limit far sooner than sectors ever would.

The questions EarthQuake asks are probably the proper ones. Slime trails or leakage of notable quantities usually means that sectors aren't closed, or perhaps the nodes weren't built. Sometimes excess slime trails mean you've got some complex or abnormal architecture which is choking a low-grade nodes builder, and you'll simply need a better one to build nodes accurately.

Lüt said:

A Millennium map I did with Erik Alm currently has 3,717 sectors, but a lot of them were merged once the level was finished, so the count would probably be more accurately averaged around at least 8,000, and testing never posed any abnormal problems. Theoretically 32,768 (or 65,536 depending on the engine you're using) should be the limit, but that limit applies to all data and segs, sidedefs or vertices would reach that limit far sooner than sectors ever would.

The questions EarthQuake asks are probably the proper ones. Slime trails or leakage of notable quantities usually means that sectors aren't closed, or perhaps the nodes weren't built. Sometimes excess slime trails mean you've got some complex or abnormal architecture which is choking a low-grade nodes builder, and you'll simply need a better one to build nodes accurately.

I agree: probably EarthQuake's problem deals with badly built nodes! I sometimes experience slime trails or HOM effects with a high amount of sectors, especially near small polygonal sectors, when I build nodes with WadAuthor. I solve this problem building nodes with Zennode.

Ismaele said:

I solve this problem building nodes with Zennode.

Yeah that's what I was going to say next :P

Use zennode.

But the problem may still be architectural, in which case zennode won't close open sectors or perform other such functions on broken map designs.

EarthQuake said:

You mention "leakage". Can you explain this further? Maybe a screenshot? For a minute there it's starting to sound like you're experiencing slime trails or something. Also, are your sectors closed correctly?

yes all my sectors are closed... i was making a level where you are walking down a street with houses on the side and it looked like a town and as you looked down the road you see the hall of mirrors effect. with out any open spots in the wall. does it have something to do with my source port?
i have Doom95

oh and i am using doom builder.. it has its own node builder.

sounds like visplane overflow...Doom95 has the same limits as vanilla when it comes to visplanes/vissprites limits. Have you tried testing it on a limit-removing port? e.g. ZDoom etc.

You can definitely do better than Doom95. Most notable maps nowadays won't run well on that non-port. Zdoom is a reliable choice, as it's worked wonders for me ever since I switched from Doom95.

DeumReaper said:

sounds like visplane overflow...Doom95 has the same limits as vanilla when it comes to visplanes/vissprites limits.

I think it's a little more forgiving when it comes to the limit. Doom95 will continue to run until the planes get too overflowed then it will bomb out like vanilla.

Under vanilla I had problems when I got something around 2100 sectors in a map (KS29), don't know if there is some exact limit.