Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Bookyaka

I was just wondering, where did BOOYAKA come from originally?

The reason I was wondering was mostly because this comedy show on swedish tv featured the phrase some years ago.

from what I know it's carribean in origin. my neighborhood was mostly jamaican at one point and they used to yell that when they won a game of dominoes. someone once told me it's supposed to be an imitaion of a shotgun, just like goin "buck buck buck" was shootin with a pistol.

Bookyaka is what Ali G said when he began working as a janitor at the library.

kristus said:

where did BOOYAKA come from originally?

OK, OK, Enough with the Ali G stuff. kristus wants to know where it came from originally. Ali G is not the originator of the phrase. It pre-dates that character.

VileSlay's suggestion seems to make sense. A google search for booyaka etymology finds a few links that back it up too.

Ali G stole it from me. I started it, he just ripped me off and made millions off my original idea. The bastard!!!

XDelusion said:

Ali G stole it from me. I started it, he just ripped me off and made millions off my original idea. The bastard!!!

Are you Jamaican? Cuz that's where it originated.

I don't recall Bush destroying the culture of Jamaica recently, so I guess not.

Britian did that before America was even invented!, then we gave them Christianity and they carried on fucking it up even more on thier own.

And for the record my brother invented the phrase "Manky"

deathbringer said:

And for the record my brother invented the phrase "Manky"

Isn't that the name of some Pokemon or something?

Everyone: I think Ali G started it with "booyakasha" and then the public, being lazy and retarded as usual, shortened it.

deathbringer: The word "manky" has been around longer than your brother could possibly have been alive.

Tango: Yeah, I'm pretty sure there was a Pokémon called a manky.

Edit: Aha:

Pokemon.com says:
#056 - Mankey:
When MANKEY starts shaking and its nasal breathing turns rough, it's a sure sign that it is becoming angry. However, because it goes into a towering rage almost instantly, it is impossible for anyone to flee its wrath.

Ooooh, sounds scary - you better stay away from mankies, Tango. I'm trying to find a picture to show you as a warning, as the Pokédex is in Flash so I can't use that one, but I can't be bothered to look too hard.

MaTT [TiK] said:
Everyone: I think Ali G started it with "booyakasha" and then the public, being lazy and retarded as usual, shortened it.

no, because I've been hearing booyaka since I was a child, and I'm turning 31 at the end of the month. like I said before my neighborhood, in East New York, Brooklyn, NY, was at one time heavily populated by jamaicans. I've heard it in the dancehall reggae they used to blast, when they played dominoes or cards, or got when they got into arguments. ali g, who I can't stand BTW, uses a rotten jamaican accent and bad jamaican slang. so all you guys who say it was ali g, get it out of your head.

Ok, well Ali G ripped it off and brought it to the UK. And yeah, Ali G's accent and slang are bad, but that's the point, it's all just taking the piss.

Wasn't it actually KRS-ONE and Boogie Down Productions that first started saying this back in the 80's maybe early 90's?

At least that's when I think I first heard it.