Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shapeless

alternate doom novel covers

I found these on one of my google searches

I'm not particularily fond of theme. that second one looks like a mancubus crossed with a baron. and the last one seems to be a guy pretending to be an arch-vile

1 and 4 are cool? There's only three alternate covers posted, but imo, I only like the third one. Kinda platoon style with a hell theme.

yea i know i mean there are 4 books n he posted covers for 1 3 n 4, i was talking about book # not pic #, that's why i asked about 2nd

Muscle Chris said:

1 and 4 are cool, it's that 3rd one thats awful, looks like a cotton candy creature gone wrong. what about the 2nd?

I have no clue what the thing on the cover for the third book is supposed to be, but it was on the original one too. However, the original one showed a guy in an astronaut suit fighting that thing with duel laser guns, with alpha Doom lost souls flying around. I think the "Cotton candy monster" was shooting fireballs from the holes in his hands but I'm not sure.

The fourth one is a lot better then the original, which showed the Doom guy dressed up like some character off of Mortal Combat shooting an imp in the back with a pistol that looked like something out of a low budget sci-fi made in the 70's.

I don't understand what they were hoping to accomplish by changing the book cover. The third and fourth books STILL have nothing to do with Doom, other then the fact that they star the Doom guy.

I always wanted these books. :) But the covers don't do much for them. Why is it that artists from the 80s and 90s couldn't seem draw videogame characters right? Look at bomberman for the NES. He looks like some sort of Samus rip-off! And then there was the hideousness of megaman... ew...

My opinion on the reasons that you can't tell what that "thing" is because the novels were only BASED on the game and not really following the story in any direct or relevant way.

Of course, i could be wrong. I have never read them.

I have the books with the original covers, but I haven't read them because they look so bad.

Craigs said:
I have no clue what the thing on the cover for the third book is supposed to be, but it was on the original one too. However, the original one showed a guy in an astronaut suit fighting that thing with duel laser guns, with alpha Doom lost souls flying around. I think the "Cotton candy monster" was shooting fireballs from the holes in his hands but I'm not sure.

supposed to be a mancubus imo. i looked at my cover and its a similar monster but its a different drawing of it, first looks way better and its got holes in the back shoulders where fire is blowing from too

The fourth one is a lot better then the original, which showed the Doom guy dressed up like some character off of Mortal Combat shooting an imp in the back with a pistol that looked like something out of a low budget sci-fi made in the 70's.

yea i like the new one better too. art on 4's original didn't match the others either

I don't understand what they were hoping to accomplish by changing the book cover. The third and fourth books STILL have nothing to do with Doom, other then the fact that they star the Doom guy.[/B]

yea but 2nd book was left way open, you could prolly include some of the 3rd in a legit doom story. just stop in the middle or something LOL

I have the books with the original covers, but I haven't read them because they look so bad.

original 1 and 2 are the same game covers, so you haven't played the games either?

I love the novels. I re-read them. Seriously. I'm addicted to 1 and 2. 3, meh...4 was just bleh. Aside from that...I think the duo should write Plutonia and TNT.

The re-issued covers look ok...1 is awesome, 3 is bleh...4 is supposed to be an arch-vile...a very bad rendition of it.

I want these novels. The covers are impressive and attractive. These books are difficult to be bought in Hong Kong.

Especially Doom: the Hell on Earth

Lets see how did my friend and I describe the Doom novels... ...it's like a graph...

Book 1: Going along great at a 60 degree positive increase.
Book 2: Still at 60 degrees but halfway through changes to -30 degrees.
Book 3: Goes into a straight free-fall plummeting towards the Earth with nothing stopping it...
Book 4: Hits the ground and keeps going...

In closing:
Book 1 is great.
Only read about half of 2.
If you find a copy of 3 or 4, burn them.

The only guy I know in person that has read all the novels says the last two explain Doom very well, and are the betters of the series. I'm on the first book, trying to get through them all some day, so I can be all oppinionated.

Coopersville said:

The only guy I know in person that has read all the novels says the last two exlain Doom very well, and are the betters of the series.

I think what everybody hates about these are not that they're bad (or worse than the first two) but that they're outright different from the game. It's like when the books-are-better-than-movies crowd attacks a perfectly good movie just because it was different (not worse, just different) than the book it was based on. This time, the books are suffering the syndrome that movies usually do.

I think the reissues are better, but I like the original cover for #1 and I have a poster of that (came with Ultimate Doom btw) but the originals for Infernal Sky and Endgame are....um...pretty gay. And anyone know where I can buy these books in Kansas City? I don't really like buying from Amazon, etc.

caco_killer said:

As for those covers, they all look like crap.

I agree, the originals were in the same style as the box art for the game, and I liked that more.

The Doom novels were an interesting experience for me. I really only enjoyed the first one, the second one was so filled with characters that it ruined the feel of Doom.

I enjoyed the first part of Knee-Deep in the Dead just because it was in typical Doom style. Alone, frantic, and full of thoughts. Once other characters were introduced, that pretty much killed it. Artistic liberty my ass, they ruined what could have been an interesting look into the mind of one killing not only to escape, but to survive. But they turned it into another love-interest band of heros piece of shit.

Not even a new cover can save these novels.

Kennychan said:

Can everyone send me the web - page form of Doom novel? I want to read them

It's a copywritten book, go buy it if you're a masochist.