Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
r4mb0

hosting help [my wad is too big]

hey.. my wad seems a little big to host :S how do i make it smaller, or easy to download? its a 3 level wad..

someone help please

r4mb0 said:
how do i make it smaller, or easy to download?

You zip it.

mate i did that.... i use winrar and i zip it but its still the same file size, nothing changed and its taking for ever to host it anywhere...

Please help

Well, you could delete one of the maps, like, the ugliest one. That'll make it smaller.

Pay for hosting. It isnt 2000 any more and thats the ONLY way you'll get big files online. If you "dont want to" or are "too young to get a credit card" then, well, tough luck. Or wait till you are older...

Alternatively put your wad on the archive (read the FAQ, do not start a thread saying "How do i upload to doomworld /newstuff?????") just dont link to your wad in the archive from your website. You can link to the wad's page in doomworld's IDgames section though.

I dont see how a wad could exceed 1 GB, if i remember correctly yousendit.com hosts up to 1gb for free. If for some reason the wad is bigger than that, for one, tell me how that was possible, and secondly try breaking it down and uploading the smaller parts.
Like one or two maps in one file and the others in a different file.

r4mb0 said:

mate i did that.... i use winrar and i zip it but its still the same file size, nothing changed and its taking for ever to host it anywhere...

Please help

Are you on dialup? Either way, uploads usally take a while, just leave the upload running do something, like go outside and when you come back it should be done, if not, wait longer.

If zipping it makes no difference to the size, you are either doing the zipping wrong or the WAD has a bunch of data in it that's already compressed. For example, have you used MP3 music in your WAD? If so, that will not compress much (if at all) and will take up loads of space.

Have you tried places like rapidshare or mooload?

Death bringer... STFU man... i want helpful tips, no im not in dialup
im going to try wad cleaner that someone "NICE" suggested. Anyway the faster i get this done the faster all of you guys can play my wad.

Now ill be making another post with a download link if i end up getting it online. Thank you to all the people with a good attitude towards helping people like me.

Well cya guys later.

How big is the file?
Also, DeathBringer WAS giving you helpful information. You can use a FTP client to upload a wad to the idgames archive.
I use Smart FTP client, which works just fine.

r4mb0 said:

im going to try wad cleaner that someone "NICE" suggested. Anyway the faster i get this done the faster all of you guys can play my wad.

Now ill be making another post with a download link if i end up getting it online. Thank you to all the people with a good attitude towards helping people like me.

Well cya guys later.

*Slap!

READ THE FAQ ITS ONLY IN BIG RED TEXT YOU KNOW

r4mb0 said:

the faster all of you guys can play my wad.

The question is, do we want to? Can we get a few screens maybe.

r4mb0 said:

That may not be the best attitude to have when asking others to play your wad.

r4mb0 said:

Using WinRAR set to "store" (thats the lowest compression level) on a single file does absolutely fucking nothing. No wad with map data larger than um, about 5Kish, that I have ever encoutered in my life simply wont compress at all if you actually use compression on it, mostly because WAD data is a pretty compressable thing. And by the sounds of things its a lot bigger than 5K. So either you fail compression or you're saying that it didnt change the file size much. You pick.

How big can a 3 map wad be? And why not upload into the archives?

Perhaps you can provide us with a little more info?

My guess if what should be a small wad is actually huge is that you have made it as an iwad rather than a pwad. That is, it includes all the game data in addition to what you have made yourself. If this is the case, it would be illegal to upload it anywhere, in addition to it wasting a lot of space.

Or else maybe you have put a massive amount of mp3 (or similar) music in it.

Anyway, several people have asked how big the file is. If you answer that question, then it would be easier to tell what might be the problem here.

Oh, and please don't throw insults around. That is likely to make your time here short and unpleasant.