ATI vs. nVidia

Which type of graphics card ownz?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of graphics card ownz?

• ATI Radeon
    • nVidia GeForce
    • Other - please don`t say other
    • They`re both good enough

nvidia is usually better with OpenGl and Ati is usually better with Direct3D. Both are good with the other libraries.
I should note that these differences aren't really significant (read: less than 10% generally) unless you're comparing high end SLI vs. high end Radeons.

From what i have noticed between the two is that nvidia is more balanced and compatable over a slightly wider range of applications/games whereas ati excells in subtle areas such as draw distances/texture mapping (over distances) and should be noted where these "subtle" differences lie are also where ati blows nvidia clearly out of the water, and this coming from a pretty reasonably satisfied nvidia card owner/customer. just my 2 cents..

Oh well, I went with ATI in the end anyway. There was a 512 MB card for about the same as the best 256 MB GeForce card I could afford so I thought I'd give it a try.

I bought an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro over 3 years ago and it runs literally every game I've ever bought up until today absolutley flawlessly. 3ghz and a gig of ram helps, but ATI has done right by me as far as im concerned

3DFX FOR TEH WIN! No wait, that's my ye olde shitbox Pentium II. I got a 128mb BFG tech nVidia Geforce 6600GT. Works well, but I'd like to get a new one eventually.

I'm thinkin I'll buy another nVidia card, they seem to work well enough. ATI VS nVidia discussion is like Pepsi VS Coke for computer hardware nuts.

Yeah can't just have a shit computer and put in a blazing fast video card and expect it to go fast. One time for experimentation I put in an X800 Pro (256MB) into a Gateway [1.5GHZ,256 RAM] expecting it to be like a jet engine on a wagon; but it didn't do a damn thing.

DeumReaper said:

Yeah can't just have a shit computer and put in a blazing fast video card and expect it to go fast. One time for experimentation I put in an X800 Pro (256MB) into a Gateway [1.5GHZ,256 RAM] expecting it to be like a jet engine on a wagon; but it didn't do a damn thing.

I did that. Ran fine for me, though there were some visual artifacts.

Xanthier said:

I'm about to get a computer with this
256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600
is that any good?

Sounds like that should be a good card to me. But then again I started this thread because I know next to nothing about graphics cards :)

DeumReaper said:

Yeah I built me a 2.2GHZ AMD with a gig ram. Kinda wish I got better card now. But they've been dropping in price now at least.

POTGIESSER said:

Image of graphics card with contacts cut off.

ROFL, ROFL, ROFL, ROFL x 1000000

Xanthier said:
I'm about to get a computer with this
256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600
is that any good?

Isn't the GeForce Go series laptop cards? Are you upgrading a laptop? I'm asking cause you have to make sure that the graphics module is nVidia's MXM (as opposed to ATI's AXIOM).
Edit: Oh I see, you're buying a new computer, not upgrading.

My GeForce 6200 displays OpenGL great, although any games which use D3D as a renderer are either extremely buggy, or do not even play at all. Although, those games quickly become boring whereas the OpenGL games seem to entertain me longer, strange.

POTGIESSER said:

ATI VS nVidia discussion is like Pepsi VS Coke for computer hardware nuts.

Yeah, one of them is clearly better, except no one can really decide which is that.

I've never had problems with ATi, except for that time when the cooler on the card managed to chip off a microscopic fraction of the core all by itself >:(

I never had any problems with my Radeon 9600 in any non-Windows OS, but I don't see any reason why I should use Lunix.