Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
remembert

Sterile Pain Elementals

I'm playing through TNT on Doom 95, and on level 28 (Heck), the pain elementals aren't shooting lost souls when they attack or when they die. No, the lost souls aren't instantly being destroyed by something in the way or by being too close to the ceiling. They just don't exist. Does anybody have any idea why?

Sure. The engine doesn't allow more than 21 Lost Souls on the level. If there are more the PE doesn't spawn any.

Interesting. Is that always true, or specific to the Doom 95 engine?

I remember hearing about some sort of lost soul limit, but 21 seems low. Though 21 in one place would be a pain.

That limit is from the original Doom engine. Although most source ports have removed it they often keep an option to re-enable it because removing this limit might result in insufficient ammo due to the larger amount of spawned Lost Souls.

Just to clarify, the engine does not place a restriction on the number of lost souls in a level. If you put 50 lost souls in a map, then these will all appear (for instance, Doom2's map09 includes 33 lost souls on UV). The restriction only relates to whether PEs will spawn additional ones.

Alright, thanks everybody.

I expected to be told to move this to the questions forum. What a friendly bunch of people!