Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

The Great Freedoom Graphics Improvement Project

Fredrik: Good work with the graphics. I like how the colors come out richer. I always thought that was a strength Doom had over other games -- color variation (in usage, not necessarily the engine/palette). The cleanup is nice, and taking "AGM" out (or minimizing it) will let people use Freedoom for WADs that don't benefit from reference to any particular storyline.

But in some cases, the cleanup gets done by making the texture seem a bit "blurry." Or at least it seems that way to me. Could you possibly stick to cleaner surfaces, or compare them side-by-side, or ask around for opinions, whatever? Textures such as this http://www.dd.chalmers.se/~frejohl/doom/blah/rw37_3.png in particular seem lumpy, when they seem to me like they should be solid panels covering electronics or whatever is behind there. I don't know if it makes sense to you.

Jon said:
I'll accept such a lump if one is submitted. It would mostly be useful for renaming levels, but none of the mappers so far have expressed an interest.

Would it be necessary to consider the map names part of the maps themselves? One contributor could perhaps take care of the task of setting new names for the maps (with possible input or corrections from the mappers, in any case), in general. If it were the story writer, it would give him more creative freedom, using the submitted maps and resources as an inspiration for the names and the story.

It's likely we'll do that with the next release as we'll have concreted some more storyline by then.

I'll see if I can submit a "the story so far" along with the intermission texts. I've done stuff like that before (for Alien Vendetta, as well as for a few variations of my yet unreleased wad).

myk said:

I'll see if I can submit a "the story so far" along with the intermission texts. I've done stuff like that before (for Alien Vendetta, as well as for a few variations of my yet unreleased wad).

The "Freedoom Bible" ?

Ajapted said:
The "Freedoom Bible" ?

Just replacements for the DOOM texts stuff (intro story, victory texts) that fits the Freedoom feel/aesthetics.

Ultraviolet said:

Just throw in a bunch of senseless Engrish as a storyline. Something about black disks eggs on pictures.

SIGNAL RECEIVE!!

BIP BIP BOOP ROBOT ATTACK

COMPRESS WITH THE MOUTH

RTC_Marine said:

looks uber, especially that new... plasma gun?

I know, for some reason, I love the new plasmagun.

Little Faith said:

I still motion that we should remember the Freedoom nr7 weapon slot is called the SKAG, not the BFG.

Perfect variation of BFG. I accept it. Are you going to rename other weapons too? Example: Chaingun, Gattling gun and plasma rifle: Energy gun or Energy cannon.

myk said:

Feel free to have a think. but Naked_Snake has expressed a strong interest to do that stuff too.

Jon said:

Feel free to have a think. but Naked_Snake has expressed a strong interest to do that stuff too.

I'd like to point out I made a proposition for a storyline back in the days. It's kinda "oldschool 80s" in that it is, purposedly, lame but I think it could be a nice start.
Now I have no clue where this 3 episodes storyline may be.

Julian Hope said:
I'd like to point out I made a proposition for a storyline back in the days. It's kinda "oldschool 80s" in that it is, purposedly, lame but I think it could be a nice start.

I remember reading that, is it available?

What about working on the story stuff wikistyle? Then any writers and Freedoom admins could choose drafts or parts to use.

I got weapon names:

Pistol: Magnum

Shotgun: no need to replace

Super shotgun: Double shotgun

Chain gun: Gattling gun

Rocket launcher: RPG

Plasma rifle: energy cannon

Bfg: (already made) SKAG v9.99

Chainsaw: C-saw (circular saw)

The only real "trademarked" name is the bfg, so renaming the shotgun to "no need to replace" is kinda ridiculous

I suppose it might be trademarked, but in any case it's a good opportunity for a fun replacement name (thus my suggestion of MOM, or even MOM9000, with all its possible associated jokes and puns). I agree changing other names is pretty pointless and even unappealing unless the new graphics are not compatible with the original name.

BFG - is that not actually a set of initials that have been used to describe weapons for some time, and in a bunch of different contexts from times before Doom right up to more recently? And Big Friendly Giants whilst we're at it?

Anyway, WMD9000 is better. Then at least Doomers will know where all the WMDs are being kept even if various governments don't.

How'd this get sidetracked into a squabble about gun names anyway? Graphics improvements - got any more or have you been doing that thing called life? :)

Well, if he's going for the man/demon-built look, they look good enough to me. But they may not work if one is going for a natural-rock look.

GGG said:
But they may not work if one is going for a natural-rock look.

I think they might, too; they could simply be some formation of softer or eroded stones, in that case.