Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hobblinharry

[How do I use a nodebuilder/command line?]

How do I get the random maps generated with slump to work? In the readme it says to use doombsp but I can't find anything on how to use doombsp. I only just recently found out about open source doom projects, so I am basically a noob to all of this.

If you play a ZDoom-based port (ZDoom/GZDoom/SkullTag/ZDoomGL) it will automatically build the nodes for you if they are missing, so that's probably the easiest option.

For other ports you need a nodebuilder (scroll down). BSP 5.0 is a good choice (I think).

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I already got as far as a node builder. I actually already have BSP 5.1.

My problem was, though, that the documentation on how to use it is not noob friendly at all. I'm not new to messing around with command lines, so I know how in theory this should work, but I can't figure out. So basically, I'm hoping that someone here has experience with Doom BSP and can tell me exactly what I need to do to get this SLUMP.OUT file to turn into a WAD file.

From Readme.txt:

Here is an example of using Slump to generate levels:

./slump -seed 1
bsp SLUMP.OUT game.wad
prboom -file game.wad

I guess I need to be even more specific.

I have tried everything that is in the documents and web pages for both the Slump program and the Doom BSP. None of their resources have helped me. I need a person with first hand experience to *tell* me what to do, because I cannot figure it out on my own from the directions.

edit: Since you did happen to quote that specific piece of the readme me, I guess I should go ahead and mention what is stopping me.

./slump -seed 1
bsp SLUMP.OUT game.wad
prboom -file game.wad

I understand the slump -seed 1 part.
I understand the prboom -file game.wad part.

Its the bsp SLUMP.OUT game.wad file that is hanging me up. It's the BSP 5.1 program I'm specifically having a problem with. That line I don't understand, I assume is the part that I need to know in order to get the Doom BSP 5.1 working. I can't figure that part out though.

I'm very confused as to what you're having problems with...

Unzip both the slump and BSP archives in the same directory.

Run slump.

You should have generated a file called SLUMP.OUT. If you don't, I would talk to samiam.

I assume you're using Windows, so you would run bsp-w32.exe and tell it to generate the nodes for the maps in the OUT file, saving the results in some WAD file.

bsp-w32 SLUMP.OUT some.wad

The thing is though, BSP seems to just be a batch file or something, because all it does is process. There no options or dialogues or menus or anything. It functions by command lines, and I can't figure out the commands to use to tell it to turn the SLUMP.OUT file into a wad. When I try to run BSP without any command lines, it just opens up, and closes immediately, probably because I didn't tell it to do anything. I need to figure out how to tell it what to do, through command lines, since that seems to be the only way it works.

edit: I appreciate that you've tried to help so far, but you seem to be just as unfamiliar with programs as I am. If you'd really like to help me, and I would really like you (or anyone) to help me, you should try yourself to turn the SLUMP.OUT file into a wad. After you are successful, you can tell me what you did, because I'm absolutely lost.

PS: Of course, if the Doom BSP program IS supposed to bring up some kind of menu after you launch it, then it would be a problem entirely on my end because that doesn't happen for me.

another edit: Well, I found a temporary, or permanent, soulution to my problem. Instead of using the BSP program, I looked at the other node builers, and decided to see if one of the other programs work. glBSP has a GUI so I was able to actually tell it to do stuff, and it successfully processed the SLUMP.OUT file into a wad.

So I can play the random maps now, so its no longer an issue if I can't figure out how Doom BSP works, but it would still be nice to know.

Ok. Make a new text file in the same directory that you unzipped slump and bsp into. Copy and paste these two lines into it:

slump
bsp-w32.exe slump.out levels.wad
Save the file. Rename it to 'makewad.bat' without the quotes. You should be able to double-click this file and generate a new 32-level WAD.

That worked, thanks! But you posted that just moments after I decided to try another node builder, which was had a GUI that made things a lot easier, and was also successful. I'll quote the edit from the previous post.

hobblinharry said:another edit: Well, I found a temporary, or permanent, soulution to my problem. Instead of using the BSP program, I looked at the other node builers, and decided to see if one of the other programs work. glBSP has a GUI so I was able to actually tell it to do stuff, and it successfully processed the SLUMP.OUT file into a wad.

So I can play the random maps now, so its no longer an issue if I can't figure out how Doom BSP works, but it would still be nice to know.

Heh, according to the stamps, you actually replied to me 2 minutes before I made the edit to that post. I guess I was in the process of editing my post when you posted it :-\

But anyways, thanks still!

edit: I think I like the way DoomBSP functions better than the way glBSP does, so again, thanks for telling me how to work the stupid thing :)

I should probably apologize to samiam for dereailing his thread though, since this was more about the DoomBSP nodebuilder than Slump. But at the same time it was a nice little bump, so more people can find out about his random level generator.

hobblinharry said:

I should probably apologize to samiam for dereailing his thread though, since this was more about the DoomBSP nodebuilder than Slump.

Therefore split off. BTW, you can do a lot of command-line stuff via "Start->Run..."