Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

The /newstuff Chronicles #284

Craigs said:

Are there ANY reviewers who haven't been flamed yet? Guys, these are just WADS. They are not your source of income, it's not a life or death situation in which a low review will get you and your family killed.

No one will ever learn - you make a wad, you make it because you enjoy doing so. The fact that you release it to the public means that you want others to see and play it, but unfortunetly, we forget sometimes that everyone has different tastes and so on and so forth... and of course if you think that you're the shit and you end up with a bag of shit after the review, well... consider it a lesson in humility and remember that yea, this is just doom after all is said and done.

jetflock said:

????Did you play better late than never in software mode???? You can't play it in software mode. Half the textures won't show. Everything is made for GL, sprites/textures included. It was a one shot Christmas wad not intended to be anything grand, and the graphics are certainly not as terrible as the review puts it. I understand the gameplay being considered terrible(once you understand the "path" its easy), but this is a concept wad, nothing more.
I would ask you please take the screenshots down because that is not the way the wad looks, all of the automobiles were painstakingly textured and modeled(Optimus Prime Big Rig), these screenshots show blank blocks. I re-created my first apartment in the safehouse. It looks exactly like the real thing, textures/items/etc....
If you are going to review my wad, review it right.
Here are some real screenshots.
http://www.geocities.com/rasputin1980/bltn.html
I don't wish to be rude, but this isn't exactly a fair review.
Don't review my wads if your not going to read the readme file.
I know you dislike my wads anyways Scuba, thats fine.
Just since you spoke about laughs in your review, I must say not everyone around here thinks your that funny. I wasn't trying to create a "joke" wad. I would appreciate a non-sarcastic response from you if you have a problem with this, otherwise, if its your turn at newstuff and my wad is in it, I ask you nicely to stay away from it.
I would have made this a PM but I feel my wad has been unjustly reviewed, even though I feel its one of my more bleh releases. I would say I'm leaving Doomworld or something, but thats stupid, and I don't post here much anyway.Just be more objective, I don't give a shit about your personal taste, and this ISN'T a 1996 wad.
EDIT: Seriously, did you play this the way the screenshots look? thats not what this wad looks like.
Edit: There is also a transparent hud.

waah waah wahh!

Boy now that your wad got a bad review you better defend yourself and insult the reviewer so you remain the bigger boy!

He said in the third reply that he had to use gzdoom because legacy doesn't run on his machine good/at all. He didn't complain about missing textures so that must have not been an issue, and the transparent hud not being their probably doesn't detract from the actual gameplay of the level.

i'm stuck in hellspawn. how do i get around the bit where there's two switches, a door between them, two doors on one side and one door on the other side?

You need to get on the other side of the center door without leaving the room. Look around the complex, there's something that'll help.

Oniria kicked ass, I liked the gameplay and all the clownz. The grey was awesome.

A New Hellspawn was the shit too. Only thing I could see wrong was there seemed to be a very very limited supply of ammo. I also missed half the secrets and still don't know what the green keycard is for, but I'm going to play it again just to find it all.

As far as people bitching about getting bad reviews, well, meh, if people can't take criticism(s/p), that's sad. I personally can wait to release my map, even if it gets a bad review. At least somebody played it. **

Johnatone said:

if people can't take criticism(s/p), that's sad.

no shit. the mod leader for killing floor (UT2K4) called me a shithead because i told him his mod wasn't fun and went into detail why (lousy controls, the atmosphere from 1.0 was ruined, gameplay isn't fun, the new zombies are bland and uninspired)

now if that's not unprofessional and unbecoming of a mod leader, i don't know what is.

Belial said:

Why thank you :D

Buy the man some glasses.

Try making less shitty maps next time. 1996 mapping coupled with some ZDoom features that don't even add anything interesting is thoroughly meh, and trying to sell a ridiculously easy map as omg challenging is just a lol.

I wasn't talking about my map. Ive seen your comments for some
pretty decent maps, and the are all negative and the majority of
the time other people tend to disagree. Xexis was considered pretty
decent. There were some complaints but generally it had its good
qualities and was quite beautiful. But you are so unforgiving,
your opinion was very very biased against it. You are a very negative person.......I think you need help. You got issues man and
if you allow me to, I will try to help you to get rid of all that
negative vibes man, carry you to bang a few hos and shit and socialize in the real world, so you'd see that there is a world
out there not just doomworld. You take yourself way too seriously.

Lighten the hell up man.

Mancubus II said:

waah waah wahh!

Boy now that your wad got a bad review you better defend yourself and insult the reviewer so you remain the bigger boy!

He said in the third reply that he had to use gzdoom because legacy doesn't run on his machine good/at all. He didn't complain about missing textures so that must have not been an issue, and the transparent hud not being their probably doesn't detract from the actual gameplay of the level.

Go waah yourself.I did not insult the reviewer at all, he didn't read the readme and he played the map in GZDOOM, that is compatible with legacy, but not my wad. The wad IS the little stoopid graphical things that can only be enjoyed in doom legacy. Do you not understand why I'm upset???? I mean no disrespect. Do I have to be stuck in one of these child-like "insult/defend" deals???? I created the wad for Legacy GL only. It should not be played on GZdoom becasue it cannot be played in its entire form using anything but Legacy Gl. Thats it, nothing more. If he played it and disliked it in legacy GL, thats fine. I don't really like the gameplay myself becasue I was trying to do something specific. Don't be ignorant with me Mancubus. I asked nicely for the screenshots to be taken off because they look like shit, and the wad looks like shit in GZdoom. I don't believe I am out of line. Please do not disrespect me, becasue I feel I have not been given some sort of general respect, or atleast my wad wasn't given that.
If the README says play it this way, atleast in one of my wads, then play it that way. I'm not going to let people have this false impression of it. I am not meaning to be rude. Just take those shitty screenshots off, I don't care if the review stays. I asked nicely.
Edit: You know what, you guys have the power to ban me off this forum. All I wanted was some kind of understanding, I worked hard on the graphics and thats all I care about. I posted screenshots for poeple to see kinda what it really looks like. If your just going to be shitty with me just ban me then. I really give up. I am trying to be nice about it, its just annoying to get a review done on the wrong port. I'm sorry I use and like legacy. So, if I'm that irritating or you think, and I mean YOU THINK I am annoying then I give up, ban me. Just do it now so I don't reply to another negative comment heading my direction.
Edit: I wouldn't open Action Doom in Legacy....would you?

Niya said:

Ive seen your comments for some
pretty decent maps, and the are all negative and the majority of
the time other people tend to disagree.

That's funny considering the example you've picked. I gave Xexis 3 stars and at 23 votes it has 3.5 stars. Weird...

Xexis was considered pretty
decent. There were some complaints but generally it had its good
qualities and was quite beautiful.

Xexis was really boring to play, and I never care about the looks, even less so when the gameplay is unappealing.

But you are so unforgiving,
your opinion was very very biased against it.

Uhh yeah, I didn't like it so I'm biased against it. Right...

So I've got issues, yet you're the one whining like a bitch about a review or two. I'll leave it at that.

Belial said:

That's funny considering the example you've picked. I gave Xexis 3 stars and at 23 votes it has 3.5 stars. Weird...

Xexis was really boring to play, and I never care about the looks, even less so when the gameplay is unappealing.

Uhh yeah, I didn't like it so I'm biased against it. Right...

So I've got issues, yet you're the one whining like a bitch about a review or two. I'll leave it at that.

You are really lovin this arent you Mr. Issues.
I like you. You're blatantly honest, thats good....
but you still got issues. You're perfect.

Marry me please! LOL

Craigs said:

Are there ANY reviewers who haven't been flamed yet? Guys, these are just WADS. They are not your source of income, it's not a life or death situation in which a low review will get you and your family killed.

Hey, this is doomworld not yoursourceofin.come or youandyourfamilyintrouble.com so wads are everything. Ok?

Coldfusio said:

Hey, this is doomworld not yoursourceofin.come or youandyourfamilyintrouble.com so wads are everything. Ok?

This comment and a previous comment seem to point to an assumption that Craigs was saying that to the reviewer, when in fact he was saying it in regards to the couple of people in here that are getting REALLY bent out of shape over a not so favorable review on a doom site.

jetflock said:

Waaaah legacy

Maybe if you realise that legacy refuses to run on certain CPUs and Graphics cards, you'd have considered that. Until GZDoom has Coronas and correct lighting for some graphics cards (hey Graf, how about looking into legacy's lighting code for compatibility purposes? they don't TILE like timmie's lights!) then it will never play correctly.

On another note, if you knew the gameplay sucked, why didn't you do something about it?

Csonicgo said:

On another note, if you knew the gameplay sucked, why didn't you do something about it?

common sense in the doom community? NO!

Wow, if we keep this up who knows how long /newstuff will be up.
I don't really upload my wads for the reviews, just to get them noticed that's all, but if the review has some insightful tips then that's great! But for people who do upload their wads for the reviews
i suggest that you stop whining about them or the reviewers may stop giving you reviews all together. So please, for the sake of /newstuff take your reviews with gratitude for the people who took the time to do it for you.

kristus said:

Th0r. This is nothing compared to how it used to be.

Oh. Well disregard my post then.

dethtoll said:

common sense in the doom community? NO!

no truer words have ever been spoken...

A part of my soul just died.

LWM, your wad is incredible. i like the use of system shock 2 resources.

ever consider working with system shock or the thief games? ;) the fanmission community could use someone like you.

A New Hellspawn will not make you go WOW, but it is definitely worth a play since all of the above features, generic or not, come together nicely to make a fun map.

It certainly is a worth a play and is a fun map. However, I disagree that it will not make the player go "WOW". In fact, there were plenty of places where I, quite literally, did just that. IMO, from start to finish, there are "WOW" elements everywhere. Sometimes it's cunning scripting moments, sometimes it's great graphics, sometimes it's interesting behaviour, sometimes it's a novel approach to a monster, sometimes its a cool looking area to the map, sometimes its a cunning puzzle. Personally, I think it is dripping with originality and inovation.

LilWhiteMouse said:

It de-synched for me right after you got through the door that dethtoll was asking about. However, what I saw was enough to show me a number of things I had not spotted, or approaches I hadn't considered before. It also showed me your style of play is quite a bit more ammo conserving than mine and that your use of the inventory/notebook items is far more efficient than mine too. I'll try watching it again with my skins directory disabled just in case something in there messed up the playback. [edit]It still desynched at the same point.[/edit]

On quite a different note (this may have been discussed already at some point) your "Wolfen" mod has problems on newer versions of Zdoom. Any plans to release a version that addresses these incompatibilities?

Oh, and if anyone has missed Russell_P's "OgreLabs" map because it hasn't had a /newstuff mention - it's certainly worth a play.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14512

Listen Nyan, if you're not satisfied with Scuba Steve's review of your damn wad, I'll review it for you.

CRAIG'S OFFICIAL REVIEW OF DEADLY ALLIANCE :D :D :D

Beauty

The Deadly alliance readme stated the following:
-It's not overly detailed, but the detail is still good.

And I partially agree with that. Although the detail is ok in a couple of areas, most of the map looks like something out of 1994. In some areas, there was a total of 2 textures used, thus making for some extremely bland archetecture. This would be ok if the author was using XWE, but seeing as he was using Doombuilder which comes with easy sector drawing, 3D view, and easy to use texture aligner, it's not ok. There are areas filled with texture misalignments. It's as though the author didn't even know how to use the upper/lower unpegged tag. If you didn't Nyan, give it a try with the edges of windows some time.
The author made fairly good use of fogs, dynamic lights, and various light effects; but a lot of the other Zdoom features such as slopes and colored lighting remained pretty unused.

Graphics: 4/10

Gameplay

I'll admit. The gameplay was intense and challengeing. However, the weapons seemed to weigh the gameplay down quite a bit by being **********ly overpowered. With the glock, you could gib: a former human, take down a Baron in 0.3 seconds, and mow down a horde of demons without a single scratch. The bestiary consists of monsters stolen from other games with slight changes to health and projectile damage, and monsters ripped from the Monster resource wad. For me, monsters usually add some more fun to a wad, but in this case, they were all monsters we've seen about a million times now. The fact that the author gracelessy threw tons of monsters at the player seemingly without concern for gameplay didn't help too much either. After the 1,000th etin fell the gameplay began to get EXTREMELY repetitive and boring. I was actually hoping there'd be a mindless key hunt in a 200000x1024 maze just to break up the monotonous gameplay.

6/10

music

At times, the music was pretty good. But because most of it was composed of mp3s, (A big no-no by the way.) it wasted more space then music actually should. It also bothered me that you didn't credit the sources of the music. That can get you in BIIIIIIIG trouble with the F.B.I.
Trust me, I know from experience. :-(

3/5 uncredited comercial mp3s are a big no-no.

overall
Deadly alliance is a pretty average wad. It's worth a download just to check it out, but it's not quite a keeper.
6/10

----------------------------------------

Is that any better for you? <_<

Enjay said:

However, I disagree that it will not make the player go "WOW".

I just never got that from this particular wad, I've seen most of the stuff before (readable consoles, timed escapes, hellspawn invade earth story lines). Many of Mouse's past wads have made me go "WOW", particualarly Chosen, however I just didn't see anything breathtaking in 'A New Hellspawn'. Like I said, all the elements, despite feeling generic, were executed with class and implemented well creating a solid level.

Craigs said:

Listen Nyan, if you're not satisfied with Scuba Steve's review of your damn wad, I'll review it for you.

CRAIG'S OFFICIAL REVIEW OF DEADLY ALLIANCE :D :D :D

[insert review here]

----------------------------------------

Is that any better for you? <_<

Thats very much on the money.
Now I get a pretty clear picture on the do's and donts.
How come you dont do newstuff reviews ?
Forgive me if im wrong.

Th0r said:

Wow, if we keep this up who knows how long /newstuff will be up.
I don't really upload my wads for the reviews, just to get them noticed that's all, but if the review has some insightful tips then that's great! But for people who do upload their wads for the reviews
i suggest that you stop whining about them or the reviewers may stop giving you reviews all together. So please, for the sake of /newstuff take your reviews with gratitude for the people who took the time to do it for you.

I got no problems with DarkArchon, Scuba Steve, Craigs or anybody
who took time to mention anything about my wad. Its pleasing
to know that they still give it the time of the day. My real
issue is Belial. I got no problem with him either but something
about him just begs me to provoke him. He just projects so much
animosity but I'll stop prodding him. Thanks all for your reviews.

Scuba Steve said:

I just never got that from this particular wad, I've seen most of the stuff before (readable consoles, timed escapes, hellspawn invade earth story lines). Many of Mouse's past wads have made me go "WOW", particualarly Chosen, however I just didn't see anything breathtaking in 'A New Hellspawn'. Like I said, all the elements, despite feeling generic, were executed with class and implemented well creating a solid level.

Fair enough. I wasn't saying that you were overly harsh. Opinions are opinions and ours differ slightly in this case. For me the map was quite WOWing and, perhaps, for you it didn't quite hit your personal WOW button. ;) Most of the things you mention there are "seen befores" but, as you acknowledge, are well presented. However, I thought there were plenty of touches that were WOW moments. It didn't matter much to me that I'd seen some of the ideas before. Because they were well done, I was still able to be "WOWed" by them.

Some of the WOWs for me were:

The steamy, foggy sewer. It looks great. One of the best attempts at an environment like that I've seen (especially in GZdoom). The use of slopes and ladders in there enhanced the experience. A sewer is hardly new or original in Doom, but something about this one did WOW me.

The ceiling autoguns. I think they are great - just great. The way they alert, appear, fire, retract and fall is just fantastic (although the explosion should be bright IMO).

The datapad activated items. That was more of a slow, creeping WOW as I realised just how clever (and useful) some of the items were.

The worms in the bodies. OK, definitely a seen before idea, but nicely done and a WOW the first time I saw one.

The look and sheer presence of the berserker marines.

The hammer hound has been well seen before, but it is still a WOW enemy. Seeing it used in context here (I think it was probably originally made for "Hellspawn") is much better than it just being stuck into a map.

The railgun enemies. OK, they perhaps aren't that Doomy but I really like their big, hulking, seared flesh and uncomfortably, ugly-tech-enhancement look.

The flying vehicle cutscenes.

The Hell Knight pushing the vehicle. OK, very simple, and there is room to improve it slightly, but I think I really did go "WOW" the first time I saw it.

And, generally, the whole scripted and involved feeling of the base. The map is far more interactive and tied to the players actions than a standard Doom map. Because of this, it is far more like a more modern FPS IMO and that WOWed me too.

yeah, at times it feels very much like "SS2 on earth".

one nice touch i like is the random teleporting in of lone enemies in areas you thought you've cleared, just to keep you on your toes.

gonna suggest this wad over at TTLG.

Scuba Steve was unfair of course. "A New Hellspawn" is a magnificent and great work. It is obvious.