Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Peanut

how do i make new story thingys?.....

The story thingys, you know, like when you beat level 7 of doom 2 and that thing pops up and letters show up, and the musics going and there is a background image. that thing. how do i make one of those?

The Wiki page I linked should explain it all. You set the "new stroy things" up in your cluster definition.

clusterdef CLUSTERNUMBER
flat BACKGROUNDFLATNAME
music MUSICLUMPNAME
//
entertext
"you are about to blah blah blah."
exittext
"Well done, you just blah blah blah'd"

Enjay said:

The Wiki page I linked should explain it all. You set the "new stroy things" up in your cluster definition.

clusterdef CLUSTERNUMBER
flat BACKGROUNDFLAT
music MUSICLUMPNAME
//
entertext
"you are about to blah blah blah."
exittext
"Well done, you just blah blah blah'd"

ok i understand perpose of "BACKGROUNDFLAT" and "MUSICLUMPNAME"
but what perpose does "CLUSTERNUMBER" serve?

alos i do not understand exittext, please explane.

Yeah, every map can be allocated to a cluster. The cluster definition defines certain things for that cluster. As TDA said, maps 11-20 (actually, 12-20 I think) can be considered a cluster, as can maps 01-07 and 08-11.

Entertext, just as the Wiki page I linked to says, is the text shown when you enter a cluster. Exittext is shown when you leave it.

Looking at this file may help.

http://www.zdoom.org/files/examples/mapinfo-doom2.txt

Enjay said:

Yeah, every map can be allocated to a cluster. The cluster definition defines certain things for that cluster. As TDA said, maps 11-20 (actually, 12-20 I think) can be considered a cluster, as can maps 01-07 and 08-11.

Entertext, just as the Wiki page I linked to says, is the text shown when you enter a cluster. Exittext is shown when you leave it.

Looking at this file may help.

http://www.zdoom.org/files/examples/mapinfo-doom2.txt

so what your saying is once u enter a cluster the text starts to go am i correct? i still dont get how the exittext, is it like once you beat a level and that thing pops up about your score? I dont see what that file u linked up on your post means.

nightmare93 said:

so what your saying is once u enter a cluster the text starts to go am i correct? i still dont get how the exittext, is it like once you beat a level and that thing pops up about your score? I dont see what that file u linked up on your post means.

Entertext is shown before the first map in a cluster when you enter the cluster (unless the map is the first map in a game - eg map01, E1M1, E2M1 etc).

Exittext will not be shown if the next cluster has an entertext.

Exittext will be shown when you finish a game or an episode (like after E1M8 or MAP30).

The file I linked to is what a MAPINFO lump for Doom2 would look like if id had been using a MAPINFO for their Doom games. I just linked to it as an example of how to set up a MAPINFO because it contains map and cluster definitions.

Enjay said:

Entertext is shown before the first map in a cluster when you enter the cluster (unless the map is the first map in a game - eg map01, E1M1, E2M1 etc).

Exittext will not be shown if the next cluster has an entertext.

Exittext will be shown when you finish a game or an episode (like after E1M8 or MAP30).

The file I linked to is what a MAPINFO lump for Doom2 would look like if id had been using a MAPINFO for their Doom games. I just linked to it as an example of how to set up a MAPINFO because it contains map and cluster definitions.

ok i get it, now tell me how to put in into XWE. or does it not go in with XWE?

I was going to make a topic like this, so I'll ask my questions here.

I am making a level wad, is there a way I can put a message thing BEFORE you enter the level? Choose New game and Skill and stuff, but then instead of going Straight to a level, go to the text/story, THEN to the level?

nategorga said:

I am making a level wad, is there a way I can put a message thing BEFORE you enter the level? Choose New game and Skill and stuff, but then instead of going Straight to a level, go to the text/story, THEN to the level?

Enjay said:

So, in short no but you can work around it. Entertext does not work on the first map of a game but you can either make the first map purely a scripted one where the entertext is faked by printing it on screen using a hudmessage and appropriate background image. Or, you could make the first map have a script that immediately quits the map and moves you on to the next level - which would be in a different cluster with an entertext assigned to it.

You can also do the same thing Enjay made in his "Enjay's Marine Assault" .WAD, i.e. a scripted scene in a hidden part of the first map with cameras and such, then let the player have fun...! ;)

ok, can you put it all in one, what i have to type into "MAPINFO" and what i have to do after i get done typing in wat i needed to type in. Please put it simply.lol.

clusterdef 1

flat put the flat name you want to use for the background here

music put the music name like D_READ_M or whatever else you like here

entertext
"put your enter message you want to use before the maps starts here inbetween the quotes"

exittext
"put your exit message you want to use after you completed the map inbetween the quotes"

clusterdef 5
flat sflr6_1
music D_DOOM
//
entertext
"blue"
exittext
"Guess what, you suck!!!"

this is what i wrote as a test. hehe.

map map02 "NIGHTMARE ON PLANET BLAH"
levelnum 2
music D_RUNNIN
sky1 SKY1 0
next map03
cluster 1

clusterdef 1
flat SFLR6_1
music D_DOOM
entertext "BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH"
exittext "BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Use map02 and enter and exit text should work fine, just copy and paste the above in your mapinfo lump.