Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Parapsyche

My idea for a project...opinions?

Hey!

Recently, I've been trying my hand at working on a map, and actually decided that I want to try to make a decently lengthly wad. The thing I need an opinion on, however, has to do with a feature I want to try to implement successfully.

My idea was that throughout the levels in my WAD, there would be computer consoles (ones that stand out from others) that can be used that provide information on what is happening, and also some backstory and stuff. It's kind of inspired by Metroid Prime's scan visor, if anyone has played that. However, I also aim to make this a non-mandatory thing. So a player could blow through the levels in standard Doom fashion, or if they were interested in the story and such, they could examine these specialized terminals to figure out what's going on.

I was just wondering if that seemed like a good idea. So far, it's pretty cool...I think, anyway. I put a few terminals in my map, and it kinda adds to the atmosphere. But I just need some other people's opinions on it, since mine, as the WAD's author, is biased :P

Thanks in advance!

I think it could be a nice idea to enliven gameplay and make story more interesting and enthralling than usual!

I like the idea. I recommend you check out hub 1 of RTC-3057, an excellent Zdoom mod; it does a great job pulling off what you're trying to do (that is, having an interesting but non-mandatory storyline), to see how they did it.

Also, it's common to want to start a lengthy project, but keep in mind that very few of these projects are ever actually finished; while I'm not trying to discourage you, remember that you don't need to replace all 32 maps. Some of the most memorable WADs have only replaced a few levels.

Another example is LilWhiteMouse's "A New Hellspawn" reviewed in this weeks /newstuff chronicles.

My opinion is that in non-commercial games, people tend to not care too much about the story, because they think it might be poorly written, clichéd, or there might just be too much to read when all they want to do is play (which is funny because many commercial game plots are guilty of all three of those characteristics).

So, basically, I say that it wouldn't be a big deal if you had it in there or not, but the odd player will enjoy it as long as you make sure it's actually interesting and entertaining. It's just a call on whether you feel like doing all the extra work adding the story in. If it's no big deal to you to make these non-mandatory plot consoles, then I say throw 'em in there - they'll only make the project better overall!

esselfortium said:

I like the idea. I recommend you check out hub 1 of RTC-3057, an excellent Zdoom mod; it does a great job pulling off what you're trying to do (that is, having an interesting but non-mandatory storyline), to see how they did it.

Also, it's common to want to start a lengthy project, but keep in mind that very few of these projects are ever actually finished; while I'm not trying to discourage you, remember that you don't need to replace all 32 maps. Some of the most memorable WADs have only replaced a few levels.

I was just thinking about RTC, yeah, they used it effectively in that. Can't wait for the other hubs.