Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Torn

Heretic: Treasure Chest

DarkJedi188 said:

Oh come on you guys, please make this compatible with JHERETIC.
Please!
ZDOOM seems like so overused and JHERETIC seems so underused. :(

Then get JHeretic to get a renderer that works right.

DarkJedi188 said:

I really loved the way that Ichor mixed textures from all 4 Heretic/Hexen games into one WAD. He did it with such a good-balanced and spread-out taste. And it meshed together so flawlessly.

Where is this wad? is it somewhere in /idgames' textures section?

kristus said:

...none of the tools I currently use are prone to crashing (Doom3ed, etc)

Do you have some secret version that doesn't crash, or do you just avoid them when you can?

I think we'd bettet keep this project vanilla Heretic compatible... or compatible with as many limit-removing ports as possible, at least!

Ismaele said:

I think we'd bettet keep this project vanilla Heretic compatible... or compatible with as many limit-removing ports as possible, at least!

Yes, I thought this was the original intent of the project. Torn writes "limit-removing" in the first post, which usually translates to "boom-compatible"; although he didn't say anything about using Boom-specific features, it's essentially a given that any source port capable of playing these maps will support them. But, avoiding breaking GL compatibility is also something I'd recommend.

KingofFlames said:

Where is this wad? is it somewhere in /idgames' textures section?

It is in the /idgames levels section, since it contains not only the textures but also 2 new hubs and some repainted sprites.

Here's the link:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12429

In fact, it's not a plain Hexen PWAD but it's more like a stand-alone Hexen IWAD, with its own JHexen executable.

Lüt said:

But, avoiding breaking GL compatibility is also something I'd recommend.

I can't say how much JHeretic would be broken by rendering hacks but I don't think its code for this is particularly thorough.
But with GZDoom any simple self referencing sector stuff shouldn't be a problem. Just avoid tricks that depend on open sectors or uncontrolled flat bleeding (a good example for something you shouldn't do is the exit in Kama Sutra's MAP01.) And if you use render hacks make sure that the GL node builders can handle them. Most of the time the biggest problem is not the visual effect but the improper design that makes the effect depend on the node builder's algorithm. The most important thing with self referencing sectors is that the player must always touch a line of the sector he is in so that he can't fall into holes in the BSP.

Jheretic doesn't support Boom features afaik.

How about you make a list of the ports you want it to support so we can atleast have something tangiable to go by.

kristus said:

Jheretic doesn't support Boom features afaik.

Last I checked, Boom support is high on the priority list for the next major Doomsday Engine release (most likely the 1.9 final).

I'm late, so can i take e4m1 ? Or you're not going to make a fourth episode ?

Lorenzo

I think you should make this compatible with both Zdoom and Doomsday. I personally don't like Doomsday because it ruins the game with all the hyped up models etc. But don't listen to my opinion :) make it compatible for JHeretic for the fans and if it's not to much trouble. In the mean time i'll be enjoying it on GZDoom and it still looks very nice on it :)

Phobos said:

I personally don't like Doomsday because it ruins the game with all the hyped up models etc.

To be honest I really hate those models too. So I don't use them. I stick with the sprites.
The reason why I prefer Doomsday is because I love all those light coronas, and those DED files, and those smooth walls without any blockiness/choppiness, and that lovely menu interface....
It just feels so much better than ZDOOMGL for me. It really does.

But, yeah, just make it compatible with both so that noone would feel left out.

DarkJedi188 said:

To be honest I really hate those models too. So I don't use them. I stick with the sprites.
The reason why I prefer Doomsday is because I love all those light coronas, and those DED files, and those smooth walls without any blockiness/choppiness, and that lovely menu interface....
It just feels so much better than ZDOOMGL for me. It really does.

But, yeah, just make it compatible with both so that noone would feel left out.

I'd have to agree. Doomsday without models but with detail textures (not the hi-res texture replacements. this is different) is by far the best-looking OpenGL Doom port I've ever seen. I don't even use any DEDs beyond the ones that it comes with and the one needed for detail textures.

My Map E1M9 is almost done, it turned out allright I spose and I think you'll like it because its a medium sized level with my typical layout, go there get a key, and on so until the exit. All the layout is in, now I'm going to spend the next day or so playtesting the level. Once the level is 100% complete, where do I submit it to?

yeah they are. Although I hope noone will use hexen textures or anything. And that any new textures are made to fit with the art of Heretic.

Yeah, good idea. I put them here. I don't intend to stop the custom textures discussion, in fact I think it's a good idea to come to a concensus on it for consistency's sake if nothing else, but we should be able to do that without turning the thread into a battle arena :P

For the most part, I share Kristus's sentiment about leaving the majority of textures to their respective games. There are some Hexen textures that can fit in well with Heretic's, and I think borrowing a few for highlights can notably improve a scene. At the same time, if you're going to rip 90% of the textures and use them across 90% of the map, you might as well just make it for Hexen.

Matching artwork and themes is also a good suggestion for everybody to keep in mind, although again I think the occasional oddball textures in scenes can have a good effect on a level as well.

Lüt said:

Matching artwork and themes is also a good suggestion for everybody to keep in mind, although again I think the occasional oddball textures in scenes can have a good effect on a level as well.

Yeah, like if you really feel that a particular borrowed texture might be ruining the intended primary mood than you can try applying it only in a relatively small place like in some hidden secret shrine instead of applying it in a main castle hall at the core of the map.

A balance of surprises and eye-candy is something quite cherishable to my eyes. Plus, it'll probably keep you from getting bored or losing inspiration while you're working at it. Keep you awake and fresh, so-to-speak.

Glad to hear it..And welcome back! Progress on my map is ok. I hope to really dive into it soon and get it done.

So now that Torn is back, it'd be nice if we could have his judgement on the whole textures issue.

Is it suddenly not only cool to ripp textures, but also encouraged and considered lame to not do it?

or

Is it ... well, not.

Torn, I'm ready to submit my map (E1M9) to you. Your email won't work so how do I send it?

I'm not all that worried about the textures any more.
I think that Lut already mediated this issue.
What I'm more interested in now is what tunes will be played in the background of the maps?

There's gotta be some composers out there who can willingly give permission rights for the inclusion of their work in a community megawad.
One such kind person posted in this forum a few days ago....

kristus said:

So now that Torn is back, it'd be nice if we could have his judgement on the whole textures issue.

Is it suddenly not only cool to ripp textures, but also encouraged and considered lame to not do it?

or

Is it ... well, not.

Well, I have no problems with people adding in textures from hexen, as these two games is very similiar. But I also think, Lüt have a point in not making over half of the textures in a level hexen texture, then you might as well make it for hexen as he said.

pcorf said:

Torn, I'm ready to submit my map (E1M9) to you. Your email won't work so how do I send it?

to:
Tornthedark@nospamisgood.gmail.com (remove the nospamisgood. part of the email)

DarkJedi188 said:

I'm not all that worried about the textures any more.
I think that Lut already mediated this issue.
What I'm more interested in now is what tunes will be played in the background of the maps?

There's gotta be some composers out there who can willingly give permission rights for the inclusion of their work in a community megawad.
One such kind person posted in this forum a few days ago....

Well, if anyone could make new music that would fit with the original heretic music, be my quest. :)