Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pete

Help ,cannot install

I went to shopping maul on idsoftware.com and downloaded
the DoomII. I am suppose to launch the file from which I will purchase the software. But when I try to launch the file I get an error message "cannot create c:\iddown".
I am running windows 2k.
Please help.

No idea, but what I do know is Win 2000 sucks with games compared to Win 95, 98, and ME.

No, you suck.

DE-ICE, the installation program for Doom, works perfectly fine in win2k. What he didn't do correctly is enter the directory name to install to in the precise manner DE-ICE requires.

(Hint: has something to do with the trailing backslash)

Hmm....well, my advice would be to buy Collector's Doom (all three Doom PC games, just $20), and install Doom2 from that.

Mouse doesn't work in Doom95 on NT systems.

My recommendation would be to install from that DE-ICE package he downloaded, then grab a source port (such as ZDoom, Legacy, PRBoom, etc.) and play with that instead.

doom.exe will not work perfectly in win2k although it can work fairly well if you are able to get one of the few sound emulators to work correctly, and doom95.exe is known to be broken on NT systems.

Well what should I do ?
I followed the directions to the letter but no go.

1 First, click the game of your choice above to begin the downloading process. You may receive a message indicating unknown file types or configurations.
Choose "Save to Disk" or "Save File."

So, I did this and saved it in c:\downloads.

2 You will then be prompted to choose a location for the encryted file.
Remember the location you save it to, you will need it later.

Yes, I know where it is.

3 After download is complete, go to the location you choose to save the encrypted file(s) and double click on them. The id Instant Delivery Screen will automatically launch. No other downloads are necessary.
Get Ready To Blast Away!

So, I double click on the file and I get the error message:
"We're sorry, but the Installation system could not create the file "c:\IDDOWN ;default directory to unarchive files to\flowset.ini" "

What do I need to do ?
Thanks,
Pete

So, I double click on the file and I get the error message:
"We're sorry, but the Installation system could not create the file "c:\IDDOWN ;default directory to unarchive files to\flowset.ini" "

Try creating the directory "C:\IDDOWN"

Hmm I don't usually advocate this sort of thing but are you trying to install as administrator or a regular user? Maybe you'll have better luck running the self-extract file as an administrator.

My guess too. And before you do that, i suggest you delete that directory again. Make sure you have admin rights, and run the program.

Or maybe it just won't work in W2K.. try mailing ID about it or something.