Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Manc

Dylan 'Toke' McIntosh, R.I.P.

Dylan McIntosh, whom most knew simply as "Toke" died in a car crash Saturday afternoon. While he may not have been everyone's favorite doomer, his continuous contributions to the multiplayer community cannot be overlooked and have been directly responsible for its continued popularity even after 13 years.

From Doomworld, from me, thank you Toke for your enthusiasm, knowledge and guidance.

Holy crap no way... The only doomer I've met IRL... ack. I'm so sick of car crashes. Why can't people drive properly?

he was one of the guys stoating around the newdoom / old legacy forums when I was just a stupid n00b. He put up with my crap pretty well, considering.

it's a hard post to write when you didn't know the guy all that well but want to express your sympathy for his real friends and family.

I guess what I'm trying to say is toke was cool and I'll miss trading insults when he occassionally popped in to #zdoom. That's all.

We shared some music and I DMed a few times with him couple of years ago. I don't even know what to say, I just hate this kind of shit.

That's too bad :( I remember back when I was on #zdoom someone told me toke was a racist guy I should watch out for cause I was Jewish. Then he logged on to #zdoom one day and we got in an argument about the middle east, oil, Kansas windmill power and illegal mexican immigrants. Even though we pretty much seemed to disagree and DiluteCo was calling me a moron the whole time, it was a fun argument, and I kinda thought he was funny. RIP

This kind of thing is so sad :(

Man, talk about killing the day. I'll copy and paste what I had just written over at Zdaemon forums for this post:

Wow...just wow...Toke was a great guy and a good friend of mine. I met him a few years ago when I started playing doom, and he was actually one of the first who took time to teach me some basics. This is a sad day indeed.

Here's to Toke, a great doomer, and a good friend to all. Rest in peace, man. You won't be forgotton.

The news was like a punch in the stomach.

I remember our LAN with Toke. Easygoing, quiet, friendly guy. We tested Vexation which was still in development. My funniest moment playing Doom was attributed directly to him. The running body demo still cracks me up.

Some of us were lucky enough to get to know you for a short time. Rest in peace, Dylan.

Ya, this sucks. He probably didn't have his seatbelt on which is even more gay.

Toke was a good guy. I knew him since the old Doomserv days.

What the hell? This cant be serious. I mean like he was just on the channel a couple of days ago.

I dont even know what to say.

Life is indeed fleeting. It serves as a wake-up call to us all. I know Toke seemed to live every day for itself, and that's all that you can really do. Tomorrow is never a guarantee :(

I had aproximently an hour left of my evening shift at work when Bahdko sms'ed me about this, and I had to take a walk outside to clear my head. This feels equally surreal and terrible. I considered him a frind, even tho I never got to meet him irl, and there were times I didn't agree with him. I've spent alot of irc time with him. He was totally passionate about oldschool dooming and the game in general. His undisputed skills at map making earned him respect in this community, and the levels he created will stay as a testament to his talent and his everlasting enthusiasem. He got alot of joy from this old game and the community, and I belive he respected its players and contributers far more than most people will realize.

Slightly more than a week or so ago he told me about this grand project he had just started. It was gonna be his ultimate doom related feature, an information source of sorts that would include anything relevant and important to the game. His vision was to create a resource for new players, with more of a depth to it than the already existing sites. He asked me to help out and write him a deathmatch guide, something I wish I coulda gotten around to in retrospect, because I know how much he would have enjoyed a helping hand at putting this site together.

He used to approach me in priv and talk about oldschool doomers, deathmatch tactics, rant about matches between players and tell me about his latest projects. I'm gonna miss having him around. The doom scene and #nightmare wont be quite the same place without Toke.

Rest in peace Dylan.

I've exchanged words with Toke a few times on IRC, but I can't say that I knew him. Nevertheless, this is unreal :-(

Is there a list of wads made by Toke somewhere? I can't find his name in the idgames database with the Doomworld search interface.

Rest in Peace, my dear friend.

I had first met Toke when I started DooMing in 2001, he was a very supportive and bright person, always willing to help in anyway he could. He is to this date, the BEST mapper I have ever known, I was always amazed at what he could do, and what he knew.

More importantly, Toke was an extremely good friend, I had the honor of meeting him at a LAN in Washington DC, 2003. He was extremely friendly and supportive in person as well, and the time I spent with him was amazing.

Toke will always be in the hearts of every person he touched, he should never be forgotten.

Rest in Peace, my dear friend...

I never knew toke very much. I knew he was one of the oldschool doomers and I had only ever talked to him once, incredibly briefly a couple years ago on IRC, in #notzdoomrelated. Now I have this feeling like I wish I knew him better. But either way, he had always seemed like a good man and was a good man inside the community. I didn't know him, I never participate in this community anymore, but it does feel like something is suddenly gone while I'm posting here. Needless to say, its gonna be differnet for everybody without him.

R.I.P. Dylan "Toke" McIntosh. My best wishes to your friends and family.

I've been checking my IRC logs to see how much we actually spoke. I found a funny argument we had about mouse aim, where he insisted it wasn't necessary in Doom. As we couldn't agree, he offered to settle it in a deathmatch. I now regret not taking him up on the offer.

Totally sucks. Things are not real happy right now.

Toke and I were not buddy-buddy, but I'd met him 3 times at various LANs I'd hosted, and I would get his wads and run them on my doom2.net servers. The earliest LAN I met him at was my LAN in 2000, he was only 17 so his parents drove him all the way up. The last one was the big one in South Riding, there's pics with him in them floating around on doom2.net on the corresponding lanparty documentation page ( http://www.doom2.net/bahdlan3/ ). The title page happens to have him directly in the center.

arggggggggg

What is it with doomers dying in car wrecks at 23. Noskill, Toke. This isn't funny.