Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deathz0r

Important matter regarding boomctf, opinions needed

Do you believe Toke's map should be released as it is or completed, or not released a  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe Toke's map should be released as it is or completed, or not released a

• Release it as a finished map
    • Release it as it is
    • Do not release it

(crosspost, I'm fairly certain this is better suited for WADs & Mods than Multiplayer)

You may or may not have heard about AlexMax's untitled Boom-compatible CTF mappack, usually referred to as "boomctf" or "*ctfdum*", replacing first asterisk with a number and the second with a letter after 'e'.

Now, we have hit a bit of a problem: One of the maps is unfinished. The person responsible for that map is unable to complete it. Yes, I am referring to MAP08: "Toke CTF". See the latest beta from April for further details.

Thing is, I want to finish off the map. I strongly believe that I am capable in fulfilling this job. I also believe that if Toke was here today, he would trust me in doing a satisfactory job in finishing a map he put a lot of effort into. He has trusted me before with moo1m and texturing a few maps in OMGMAPS, specifically MAP07, MAP13, and MAP15, but he told me to keep it simple, which I obliged.

Some quick facts: The blue base is mostly detailed, but there's a few incomplete areas here and there. The red base is entirely undetailed and also contains a portion of the old "supply room" idea that Toke scrapped, but never removed from the red base. There are a few areas that are different in each base, so you could say that the map is unbalanced.

I'd like to include this map in the first boomctf pack. The question is, do you believe that it would be honourable to complete the map or to release it as it is? Do you believe that it should be released at all? Take note that Toke did intend to complete this map, and that we are deliberately pushing back the release date to a currently unspecified date (which is why there's been no updates for the past four months), so I have a lot of time to do this properly.

You can finish it and include the map as he left it in the wad as well.

^ I'm with Myk.

deathz0r said:

I also believe that if Toke was here today, he would trust me in doing a satisfactory job in finishing a map he put a lot of effort into.

^ also agree.

Somehow, I imagine Toke would find the "honorable" worry rather humerous and just say something like RTC said.

myk said:

You can finish it and include the map as he left it in the wad as well.

Slightly problematic though, the map slots (eight) are all filled for this WAD. We (AlexMax and myself) decided to go with a "eight maps, four packs" plan with this WAD series.

How problematic would it be to include the map named map30, or TOKE?

(that was a rethorical question btw)

Would a compromise of keeping his incomplete version in a seperate, single-map WAD inside the zip be honourable for Toke?

I think as long as it is part of the release package it should be fine. Sounds like a good compromise.

It would just be there for historical purpose anyway.

(Edit:typo)

DD_133 said:
I say release it as-is in a seperate wad, and finish the map for the pack.

Better to put it in the wad or in the zip so people don't have to rummage the whole Internets to get what Toke left.

DD_133 said:
I say release it as-is in a seperate wad, and finish the map for the pack.

Better to put it in the wad or in the zip, though, so people don't have to rummage the whole Internets to get what Toke left. Dylan's map would be incomplete anyway so as as standalone it wouldn't really make sense.