Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Your first DOOM emotions

This is about the emotions you had when playing DOOM for the first time and you'd like to share with a fellow doomer.

OK, my story first:

(Premise: it was likely late 1994/early 1995 when I first played DOOM, and I hadn't played any other FPS games before, didn't even know they existed, I was an arcade games fan. My machine was a 486 DX/40 with 4 MB RAM, which was just about right for DOOM, and an 8-bit SoundBlaster 2.0 )

Anyway, I had seen photos and reviews of Doom in magazines that said things like "DOOM is the ultimate 3D game!" "DOOM is 100% atmospheric!" "Best game ever etc. etc." and from the photos, not having ever seen a real FPS before except for those arcade rail shooters, I just couldn't understand how the gameplay worked, I just saw a bunch of pixelated monsters, a gun etc. so I assumed it was a kind of rail shooter like operation wolf or Virtua Cop :-)

Anyway, when I first got hold of my first copy of DOOM shareware, stared it up and pressed the forward key...I just couldn't believe it!!!

THE WHOLE SCHREEN MOVED SMOOTHLY, PLUS YOU COULD SHOOT STUFF AND DODGE STUFF!!!

I said "WTF, this has got the be the best videogame ever made, gameplay AND programming wise, didn't even know that was possible!"

The rest, as they say, is legend :-)

OK, then I documented myself better on FPS and saw that e.g. Wolfenstein 3D and Blake Stone 3D existed before DOOM, but yet, only DOOM proved to have that "something" that made it so special.

So, what's your story?

I thought "Wow I finally have a computer that can play doom!"

This was in about '96 or so and before that all we had was some incredibly old 086 or so that only had EGA...

Doom 1: "Hey, this is pretty fun! It'd be a bit more fun though if it weren't for all those damn key hunts... The music rocks!"

Doom 2: "Is that music? It sucks! Why is everything so damned dark? Doom 1 wasn't this dark... Is that a goat head with a hole in it's forehead? Is that the main boss or decoration. Oh it is the boss. How do I kill it? Huh, that was easy. Yay, I win. I'm going for a walk now."

"WOW! Doom for the nintendo sixty-FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOURRRRRRRR......"

It was more or less what I had expected. Having played Wolf 3D before this, I was used to the flowing, pseudo-3D nature of the fps style. I had known there would be height variations and highly-angled architecture, but when seeing that and the skybox in action, I gave a nod.

My very first experience was in about... 1997 give or take a year. I watched my older brother's friend play it and I thought "Meh cool" but I was too busy playing the DOS version of MMX. Then 8 years later in 2005 I started to get interested in Doom and older games in general. Then I played SNES Doom and remember thinking, "Holy crap... why have I wasted all thi- OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!?" Then this year I downloaded the shareware, ran it on ZDoom, and watched in awe. Then I ordered the collectors edition and the rest is history.

First got/saw Doom Shareware around 1998/1999. Played the episode thought "This is really neat, I really wanna buy this." I remember visiting the Info screen about Ordering and what comes in the Full version. But i couldn't find it in stores due to it being old, but on a trip to USA i found Ultimate Doom and brought it back home :)

"Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap, where's that bloody brown spiked flameball throwing thingy!?!?!? >=("

I was more enthusiastic about going to the mall, so I could play it on the computers at Radio Shack. Couldn't afford a computer at the time.

Nonetheless, lots of time was well wasted there, and I loved it. Mwuhahahaha.

My dad used to work for a PC company so he would always bring home the latest system and "test" then out with various games. I was only about 6/7 when my dad played Wolf 3d so I knew about FPS's, he used to collect PC games magazines and I remember watching him play the shareware demo of doom1, I was amazed! the most striking feature about Doom was the outside bits, back then they were the best graphics id ever seen lol.

He soon got the full version and I remember playing against the cyberdemon and failing badly lol.

It was sometime in late 1994, and to be honest I don't remember a lot about it. I remember trying to tell my dad we probably shouldn't install it, because our computer was a 386dx with about 20 megahertz of speed, and any true Doomer knows the minimum requirements specify a 386sx machine with 33 megahertz or higher. Nonetheless, my dad installed it, and to get it to run I had to decrease the screen size and switch to the lo-res mode. I didn't care, though. I had already experienced Wolfenstein 3-D, and Doom was several significant steps up. I was amazed by the level of detail, and the increased realism (Wolfenstein, at least to me, had looked significantly cartoonier, while Doom had a much more "serious" look). I remember being somewhat grossed out by the extreme level of violence, seeing as I was only nine years old. I remember hearing all the classic PC speaker sounds and no music, so I'd sometimes play music on a stereo or cassette player (usually Pink Floyd).

I was a bit disappointed by the lack of jumping, crouching, looking and any major height variation (save episode I and IV) because I got Doom a bit later than other newer shooters. But thanks to Doom's mysterious themeline, I got immersed.

On Doom 2, later, the disappointments came from music and rough design. I expected better textures too. I expected 'monster Condo' to be an actual monster miniboss, similar to a red, upright gorilla with fur, feathers and a violet plasma breath, twice as big as a cyberdemon, with the ability to gate swarms of pinkies. Not a "condominium." Most of it, I wish I hadn't read that Doom FAQ which spoiled the mystery.
Still, what was good was the E4'ish feeling Doom 2 gave to me in its first levels.

Being extremely intrigued by the cacodemon in doom as i first witnessed him appear before my eyes in total amazment as he floated in mid air. hes argubly the most intellegent creature in doom for the fact that he retreats and attemps to hide or "cover" himself from your fire.

Being honestly freaked out coming upon the archvile and his menacing scream and terifying attack for the first time in doomII, and those gratifying moans of arousal, that he has you in his range was just creepy. digging on the pain elemental and his likeness to the cacodemon (as in being another floater -but different) coming up to close to a revenant from around a corner and getting socked in the face in a "wtf" moment of shock of "holy crap he can punch too!"

And of course the map design, architecture, lighting "look and feel" of the game was like none other, kinda still like that today in a way.

printz said:

I expected 'monster Condo' to be an actual monster miniboss, similar to a red, upright gorilla with fur, feathers and a violet plasma breath, twice as big as a cyberdemon, with the ability to gate swarms of pinkies.

Isn't that a congo?

My Dad was all excited about this new amazing game (DooM). The fact that it had surfaces that joined at angles other than 90 degrees entertained me for a while, as I had played Wolf3D and Blake Stone quite a bit.

Ralphis said:

Isn't that a congo?

Condo, Congo, King Kong, the three cousin species of spectacular apes :)

I was 13 when I played shareware doom for the first time. I got it on a BBS (by the way I restarted mine, if someone want to log into my telnet bbs, msg me, bbs still exist but almost on telnet)

And when I played doom for the first time I said: wow we can play multiplayer and the other player can going elsewhere while we go somewhere else and meet again somewhere else in the level !!! That was incredible :)

When the game was still young, and when I saw it for the first time, I was in awe from the amount of carnage that was happening onscreen!

When my brother got the game afterwords, we played together because of the fear factor involved going down a dark hallway. Oh man.. good times.