Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sirjuddington

SLumpEd

SLumpEd is a little wxWidgets lump manager I've been working on for a while. I've released a few versions of it over at the zdoom forums, thought I might post about it here too :P

Anyway the major features so far are:
- All the basic features you'd expect of a wad lump manager (create/open/save wads, manipulate lump ordering, import/export lumps, etc)
- Full zip/pk3 support including directory manipulation
- Open multiple wadfiles at once in tabs
- Cut/copy/paste lumps either within a wad or across multiple wads
- Simple, easy-to-use, nice looking interface
- Advanced text editor with syntax hilighting and autocomplete for various text lump types (ACS scripts, DECORATE, etc)
- Full PNG image support, including offset manipilation and high-colour support
- ACS scripts compilation (including libraries and the like)

You can download version 0.4 here. I'll make up some kind of homepage for it eventually too.

YAY! Finally a decent wad editor :D It indeed looks nice and userfriendly.

There is only one thing i'm missing though: Data conversion.
The original doom and several sourceports do not know what PNG or Bitmap images are and expect the images to be in the usual Doom sprite/patch/flat image format. Same goes for sounds, only the most advanced sourceports know the WAVE format. If you wan't to play on the more oldschool sourceports, you really need to enquip your WAD with the original Doom sounds format.

Nevertheless, its a good start! I'll add this to the Doomworld untilities page.

EDIT: Ah yes, now that I read the txt (or at least looked at it) I see this is already on the TODO list. Nice :)

Looks really nice. Love the syntax highlighting and full PNG support especially. Keep up the good work. :O

EDIT: Automatic sprite alignment (ala Wintex) would be awesome :D

AgentSpork said:

Automatic sprite alignment (ala Wintex) would be awesome :D

Right click on a gfx lump and select 'modify offsets' ;) You can also have multiple gfx lumps selected too.

Nice work Slayer, this is excellent. Plus its open source, yay!

Finally we have a dedicated lump manager with a modern GUI which doesn't need 5 mins of processing after every little change.

How soon will we have full TEXTURES support? Forgive me if it is already in but I couldn't see how.

DaniJ said:

How soon will we have full TEXTURES support? Forgive me if it is already in but I couldn't see how.

Read the txt file :P (ie it's planned)

will it have a mus2midi/viceversa inbuilt converter?
that would be nice, since midi2mus (i think) isn't open source and there isn't a linux version.

RTC_Marine said:

will it have a mus2midi/viceversa inbuilt converter?
that would be nice, since midi2mus (i think) isn't open source and there isn't a linux version.

Hmm, well I dunno. Last attempt I made to understand the MIDI format failed miserably :P

You could just add the mus2midi and midi2mus untilities to the package and have slumped call them in the background when it needs to do that conversion. Similar to what Doom Builder does with nodebuilders.

he could do that, but then his program wouldn't be very cross-platform, which is what kinda sucks about linux, no decent gui lump editor.

actually, the later versions of doom support midi data in wad files, I only just got told this today, so it probably isn't necessary to reinvent the wheel, unless you want it to work on really old versions (1.2,1.666 etc)

entryway said:

SlayeR, why you do not like the undo/redo conception so strongly? In Slade too. Believe me, it's very useful.

Does he not like it, or would it just be a lot of work to add an undo history? heh

Wow, this is a really nice utility. The texture modifier in particular is a lot more intuitive than XWE's. I'll see how it fares durring my work on BoomCTF.

entryway said:

SlayeR, why you do not like the undo/redo conception so strongly? In Slade too. Believe me, it's very useful.

Huh? There is an undo feature in SLADE 1.x, just not in 2.0 yet. Also yeah it's a bit harder to do with SLumpEd than it sounds. At the moment though you can select 'restore' from the lump context menu to reload the selected lump(s) from the wad file.

That's because of the way 3d mode worked in SLADE 1.x. It will be in 2.0, though.

Anyhow, I've released v0.5. Now it's possible to view the PNAMES lump and delete entries from it. I also added shortcut keys for the lump view, a patch preview in the TEXTUREx editor, and fixed a few bugs.

Can you filter the lumps? it just shows a big list of all the lumps with question marks next to them, not very easy to track down a single patch in a megawad, for example

cycloid said:

Can you filter the lumps? it just shows a big list of all the lumps with question marks next to them, not very easy to track down a single patch in a megawad, for example

That's coming eventually :P