Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Things that Piss You off about Modern Day games....

What are some of the things that piss you off that are found in games nowadays? Lets start out with mine.....

1. First of all, The way how they make FPS games nowadays is just too 'realistic' based rather than gameplay, plus the levels are more linear (less exploration), Unoriginal/unjoyable enemies which puts the player to sleep very quick......

2. Plus, It's fucking ridicolous on how they design Female Characters nowadays as slut whores rather than real people/characters while the Male characters gets the opposite treatment (This is a perfect example how sexism in mass media still exist today...same thing with Mainstream Music & Hollywood movies)

3. To the Conspiracy Theorists: Have you ever noticed that nowadays games always seem to lionize the U.S. Government/Authority Figures/Other Agencies? Lets say if we had a Anarchist Future and people would look back at these games and declare them as "Propaganda Games" as no different than "The Truimph of Will"... Go Figure.....

The one thing that makes me not like modern games as much: the fact that people are not restricted so much as to what sort of content to put in the games, so you get stuff like GTA San Andreas where there's an F-word every minute. Now, I don't mind if characters swear a lot (would be unrealistic if they didn't, plus it makes the dialogue more believable) but the sheer volume of F-words in various recent games really puts me off from playing them through more than once (sometimes not finishing them at all).

Another thing that Pisses me off is that developers nowadays seem to act like their making a big budget Hollywood movie (games now have credits/intro at the beginning) rather than a actual game (and they even include the shitty generic music that is mostly found in current Hollywood movies...Prey/Quake 4/etc are perfect examples)

-I hate games that have too many unlockables that are too hard to unlock.

-I hate games where you have to purchase abilities.

-I hate it when games that have Career or Adventure modes where you have to build the character up from scratch, don't let you create your own character to build up. I don't want to use a pre-existing character, it just looks dumb.

-I don't like it when games add fictional storylines on non-fictional backdrops (Heinrich Himmler never met B.J. Blazcowicz...and I don't think Lyndon Johnson and Nikkita Khrushchev ever met Naked Snake...nor was there ever a Seceratary of Defense named Jim Houseman).

-I hate games where you have to walk on eggshells or you'll die and have too many cliffs and misleading camera angles (Crash Bandicoot comes to mind, although I love those games, I equally find them frustrating).

-Games with bad camera systems (every Sonic game since Dreamcast, every MGS game before Subsistence).

-I hate games with unskippable cutscenes.

-Fighting games that are hard even with the difficulty all the way down.

-Games with little replay value (every RE and SH game, although they are my favorite series).

-RPGs in which if you screw up once, you're pretty much doomed (Parasite Eve).

That's about it for now.

What pisses me off about modern games? The obligatory moaning about how games have lost their magic and the entire gaming industry has turned into yet another cesspool of suck.

Yeah, there are sports games released every year with few updates besides rosters. People choose to buy them, though, and I never heard anyone say you weren't allowed to be happy with one that's years old. There also is no shortage of innovation in modern games by any stretch of the imagination unless you are just completely unwilling to go out and seek these games yourself. You also may feel as if the whole thing is being corporatized, but there are still a handful of developers getting by on low budgets and big ideas (in fact, probably the same amount now as there were at any point in the past).

So... there you go.

caco_killer said:

-The people who play them and bitch about them.

Oooooh burn...

But I wouldn't've found out until I played. The only game I get frustrated at and continue to play are the Crash Bandicoot games. Other than that, I haven't played most of them a 2nd time.

Nightmare Doom said:

(and they even include the shitty generic music that is mostly found in current Hollywood movies...Prey/Quake 4/etc are perfect examples)

Ugh, I hate that crap. Whatever happened to music that was fun to listen to?

Nightmare Doom said:

Another thing that Pisses me off is that developers nowadays seem to act like their making a big budget Hollywood movie (games now have credits/intro at the beginning) rather than a actual game (and they even include the shitty generic music that is mostly found in current Hollywood movies...Prey/Quake 4/etc are perfect examples)

When it comes to MGS3 though, I'd have to disagree with you. That had a lotta nice scenes and music IMO.

If you dont like new games, dont play them. If you dont like new music, dont listen to it.

Jesus H. Christ...

Only thing I can think of is that so many games these days are waaay too easy. Only exceptions I can think of in recent history are a handful of console games.

Give us super hard modes!

Edit: I read recently that Valve may add an extra difficulty setting to Ep2. That's nice.

Bucket said:
What pisses me off about modern games? The obligatory moaning about how games have lost their magic and the entire gaming industry has turned into yet another cesspool of suck.

Yeah, there are sports games released every year with few updates besides rosters. People choose to buy them, though, and I never heard anyone say you weren't allowed to be happy with one that's years old. There also is no shortage of innovation in modern games by any stretch of the imagination unless you are just completely unwilling to go out and seek these games yourself. You also may feel as if the whole thing is being corporatized, but there are still a handful of developers getting by on low budgets and big ideas (in fact, probably the same amount now as there were at any point in the past).

So... there you go.

I <3 Bucket.

1). Games these days are not made for the replayablility. They are made to be played and then discarded after a couple weeks, just in time for you to buy the company's latest game. They are made full of flashy graphics and whatever gameplay de jour is hot at the moment (GTA3 clone? Half-Life clone? Resident Evil clone?). They don't make games that are innovative and intelligent that will make you want to come back and play it again and again. They don't try to. They want you to to finish and get bored so they can sell you more games.

2). The death of the adventure game genre. That used to be my favorite type of game back in the day, but now they never make them. The only thing I can conclude is that they didn't translate well into 3d graphics so they decided they wouldn't sell anymore. They do make such games from tiem to time these days, but it's either surreal pieces of crap made by bored art students a la Myst (I never liked Myst), or the puzzles are so simple that it's not even worth playing.

3). The death of independant developers. I never liked games that came from from big companies like EA, Eidos, and the like. Now it's companies like that that rule the marketplace. They sell games for mass consumption, not because they want to make great games. Nowadays the independant companies been killed o absorbed by the big corporations. Where are the Cavedogs and Bullfrogs of the world? Blizzard seems to be the only such company left, though sadly their games are few and far between and they stick to cliche genres (though they totally own said genres). Id has fallen into a rut. Sure, Doom 3 was one of the better games of the last few years but that isn't saying much. Apogee seems to have vanished into oblivion since they decided to make Duke Nukem: Never. These companies were where the real fun, inovative games came from and now they no longer exist.

There is a reason I haven't bought any computer games since 2002, and no it's not because I haven't been able to get a decent computer. Even when I do finally get a top-of-the-line machine there are only 2-3 games I'm planning to get.

DOOMENSTEIN said:

-I don't like it when games add fictional storylines on non-fictional backdrops (Heinrich Himmler never met B.J. Blazcowicz...and I don't think Lyndon Johnson and Nikkita Khrushchev ever met Naked Snake...nor was there ever a Seceratary of Defense named Jim Houseman).

Now you're just being nit-picky. I'm actually a huge fan of alternate history stuff. Nazis with giant gattling guns and rockets mounted on their tank-like armor and them breeding strange zombie-like monsters is what I loved about the original Wolfenstein 3-D, and the fact that they had similar things in Return to Castle Wolfenstein is why I liked that game so much (yes, I actually liked it).

One of the big things I hate about the industry is all this talk about "episodic gameplay" that has no relation to classic games such as Jill of the Jungle, Tyrian or even Doom and is only a scheme to pump out 2 hour games every other month because it costs too much money to make a blockbuster otherwise. I don't want bite size shit fests that are more like movies than games.

This is one of the reasons I lost respect for Valve, with the constant rehashes, milking of franchises, and purchasing mods just so they can turn a quick buck, besides the fact that they delivered on none of the promises made with Half-Life 2. I don't want the same game sold to me over and over again with different packaging and mods, thank you very much.

I'm not a fan of artificially inflating a games replay value by adding stupid unlockables and achievements, either. If a game wasn't that fun to play through the first time, what makes you think I will enjoy trudging through it again for the last Juju Fruit just so I can feel like I've beaten it? Don't get me started on Microsoft's microtransactions.

Frankly, the game industry has eclipsed the movie industry when it comes to greed. I hope when game budgets soar to an upward of billions of dollars to keep up with Moore's Law, that this shit will stop. The game industry cannot support such a top heavy production model.

Danarchy said:

Now you're just being nit-picky. I'm actually a huge fan of alternate history stuff. Nazis with giant gattling guns and rockets mounted on their tank-like armor and them breeding strange zombie-like monsters is what I loved about the original Wolfenstein 3-D, and the fact that they had similar things in Return to Castle Wolfenstein is why I liked that game so much (yes, I actually liked it).

I like it too, I just don't like it when they involve historical figures. Make a nazi game, but with fictional nazi generals and make no mention of any real ones. RTCW would've been fine without showing Himmler at the end.

- Developpers that don’t release the code when the game is clearly an abandonware.
- Developpers that only make their game for one OS, or that make an Linux installer that is incompatible with the Windows CD/DVD.
- Crappy music, I prefer no music at all as in Doom 3.
- Games that need a 34 GHz CPU with 16 GPUs in SLI, just to frag 3 baddies in a bathroom.
- Messed savegames after an update.
- Wannabee realistic games with magic or with pea-shooters.
- Cheap conspiracies and faustian scientists.

Danarchy said:

So did I, for the same reasons actually. Having all the fictional elements blend so well with historical stuff is what made it interesting.

Neways, I don't bother playing new games because a) I don't have the hardware, b) I don't need it because new games suck and there are still plenty of old ones for me to play (like Terra Nova).

limited enemy variety. even aside from the linear maps with no replay value, this single factor kills doom 3, halo/2, and fear for me.

MasterOfPuppets said:

limited enemy variety. even aside from the linear maps with no replay value, this single factor kills doom 3, halo/2, and fear for me.

HL2 suffers from this too.

Nightmare Doom said:

...It's fucking ridicolous on how they design Female Characters nowadays as slut whores rather than real people/characters...

I live in Surrey, so this is actually pretty bang on for me

Clancy sequels, requiring of a super "graphics card" so that fence texture doesn't blur when you look at it from the ground, or so that crate explosion is physically accurate...

longass loading times, ridiculously easy or hard, realising I bought a pretty tech demo with a gay online system that takes 3 weeks to setup a game...

Csonicgo said:

or so that crate explosion is physically accurate...

New games FAIL at stc.

Nightmare Doom said:

Every single poster on that thread is an automatic retard.

Prey's music is one of the 101 reasons why I uninstalled it and gave the cd to my dog to chew on. Its annoying, felt like a cheesy B action flick starring some annoying actor.

Its already bad enough that video games have to get so dramatic and act like its a movie..

I really hate how generic and cheesy the voice acting is nowadays (EW COSSACKS 2)and how games recieve high scores on how much they abuse the bloom effect. I really hate games that use 512mb of memory for the menu screen alone (COUGH*GRAW*COUGH) and I really hate the Reality engine (it's super super buggy, it even fatal errors when a key is bound to a keypad key) and overpraised cookie-cutter.

All these bad overrated cookie-cutter games lately may give DNF the advantage to kick everything in the ass with pure fun by gameplay rather than the usual "shiny water hollywood production" focus. Fuck all valve-asskissing naysayers, I believe in DNF.

caco_killer said:

Synthesizers and MIDIs are so 1990s. If you don't like, don't buy. Simple as that.

At least the melodies are more original than prefabricated-orchestral-score-number-5902 by some commissioned music newbie. Just compare UT's music (OH IM SORRY HALO GENERATION NEWSCHOOLERS I MEAN UNREAL TOURNAMENT 1999 GAME OF THE YEAR) with ut2k3/ut2k4 and you'll see what I mean by orchestral trash.

Prey would have been a lot better if, instead of a wrench as a melee weapon, they let Tommy use his gigantic fucking chin to bludgeon enemies with. They could have called it Cherokee Chin Power, and ironically that would have been the least racist thing about the game.

leileilol said:

...and how games recieve high scores on how much they abuse the bloom effect.

Let's not forget an abundance of HDR and bump mapping! Those three shaders alone are the reason 95% of games look almost identical, not to mention how amateur it looks when used inappropriatly. Hell, even Half Life 2 did it, and it was worse off because of it.

DOOMENSTEIN said:

I like it too, I just don't like it when they involve historical figures. Make a nazi game, but with fictional nazi generals and make no mention of any real ones. RTCW would've been fine without showing Himmler at the end.

Fighting Hitler in Wolf3D ranks in my Top 5 life achievements

HobbsTiger1 said:

Fighting Hitler in Wolf3D ranks in my Top 5 life achievements

Mine too, but I always viewed that game as cartoony and goofy so that didn't bother me. But if a game is more serious (like RTCW)...I don't like it crossing over with real people that had once existed. RTCW was cool, it just irks me when they have the characters interact with historical figures.