Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Things that Piss You off about Modern Day games....

DOOMENSTEIN said:

it just irks me when they have the characters interact with historical figures.

I take it you hate Red Alert from the intro alone then :(

Kaiser said:
Prey's music is one of the 101 reasons why I uninstalled it and gave the cd to my dog to chew on. Its annoying, felt like a cheesy B action flick starring some annoying actor.

Its already bad enough that video games have to get so dramatic and act like its a movie..

Prey tries to share the same qualities as a movie -story- so the music is supposed to feel like a cheesy flick with annoying actor.
That's why I think the music fit Prey; it sounds like what the game is about. One of the reasons why I think UT99's music makes it one of the best games ever.

leileilol said:

I take it you hate Red Alert from the intro alone then :(

I shouldn't've said hate...it just bugs me. Doesn't stop me from playing them.

What pisses me off is games that have shit controls. It's highly annoying to buy a game that has terrible controls, especially if the game seems to be something you'd really enjoy if the controls were'nt so bad.

Also I get pissed off at games that have no saves during gameplay. For some reason people seem to like this feature because it gives them a challenge to get thru without using a save but I would prefer if this was implemented in a particular skill mode. Personally I like having the option to shut the damned game off when I want instead of being forced to keep playing. The worse culprit is the game that allows you to save, but when you load that save it starts you at the begiining of the map / mission.... ugh.

Doom Dude said:

Also I get pissed off at games that have no saves during gameplay. For some reason people seem to like this feature because it gives them a challenge to get thru without using a save but I would prefer if this was implemented in a particular skill mode.

I hated how the first Crash Bandicoot game only allowed you to save at the end of the bonus stage. Towards the end of the game, getting to the bonus stage was hard enough, and getting to the end of them was even harder. Not fair.

DOOMENSTEIN said:

Mine too, but I always viewed that game as cartoony and goofy so that didn't bother me. But if a game is more serious (like RTCW)...I don't like it crossing over with real people that had once existed. RTCW was cool, it just irks me when they have the characters interact with historical figures.

RTCW seemed every bit as campy as Wolf3D. I mean, every German character was a stereotype speaking Denglish.

You know, onw of the things I've always thought amusing about the Wolfenstein games is that the Nazis are getting their asses handed to them by a Pollock. Owned in the face!

Also I get pissed off at games that have no saves during gameplay. For some reason people seem to like this feature because it gives them a challenge to get thru without using a save but I would prefer if this was implemented in a particular skill mode. Personally I like having the option to shut the damned game off when I want instead of being forced to keep playing. The worse culprit is the game that allows you to save, but when you load that save it starts you at the begiining of the map / mission.... ugh.

Oh yeah. Aliens vs. Predator pissed me the Hell off with that. It's probably the main reason I never finished the game. Same with Turok 2. I gever got past the first level in that game.

Console-exclusive features for a game, since nobody else has mentioned it. There's already bitching (whether it's relevant or not) about the Wii version of Mortal Kombat Armageddon having Khameleon, since she's not gonna be in the PS2 or Xbox versions of the game. I don't wanna have to shell out more of my fucking money to buy a console for a more completed version of the game. They should have spent the time to make the damn game right and 100% complete instead of half-assing it, releasing it on a few consoles, then work on it more and release the finished version of said game onto another console. Dumbasses.

While the games themselves nowadays aren't bad, there are some things that game companies do that annoy me:

-having to register to play games online. I hate living in fear of having my cd key stolen, or forgetting my password or a new patch Fuxz0ring my profile setting (all three have happened to me). it also makes setting up LANs a pain in the arse (all my friends are freeloaders with shitty cracked versions of everything).

-Needing the cd/dvd to play the game even after registering. my poor BF2 disk has scratches all over it (still works though) because I have to swap it every time I want to play another game, and seeing as how I have to sign on ever time I want to play it (as such, making any arguments about piracy redundant), I don't see why I need to have the dvd for anything other then installing. It's just going to ware out the dvd.

Nems said:

Console-exclusive features for a game, since nobody else has mentioned it. There's already bitching (whether it's relevant or not) about the Wii version of Mortal Kombat Armageddon having Khameleon, since she's not gonna be in the PS2 or Xbox versions of the game. I don't wanna have to shell out more of my fucking money to buy a console for a more completed version of the game. They should have spent the time to make the damn game right and 100% complete instead of half-assing it, releasing it on a few consoles, then work on it more and release the finished version of said game onto another console. Dumbasses.

I can't believe I forgot about that. That's another thing I hate. Also, when companies make games in a series in which a game or 2 are exclusively on one system, while the other's aren't.

Case in point...in my quest to own every RE game, I've been successful (with the exception of the one game not released in the US)...I even got a PS2 just to have "RE: Dead Aim" and the Outbreak series (and both GC and PS2 versions of RE4). Now to wait for RE5 which is supposed to be for 360 and PS3...

But wait! Now they're working on an RE game exclusively for the Wii! Thanks-the fuck-a lot, Capcom. But that's business for ya...:(

1. I am stick and tired of seeing adverts in my video games. Everywhere I go I can not escape "POPulare Culture", it's on the radio, it's on the TV, it's on our bill boards, buildings, clothes, vehicles, etc!
Even if you do manage to escape all the adverts, some lame ass identity starved sheeple will come your way emulationg the latest and greatest of the Big 6's offerings...

...so you end up with a flesh and blood incarnation of M&M or Jessica Simpson in your face, and what's worse is you ALWAYS encounter these sheeple in crouds, because sheep do not run alone.

So...

...given this fact, I play video games to take a break from Commercial life and now the games are becoming more and more commercial.
If it isn't the in-game Bill Board Ads hanging from the virtual walls and what not, then it the characters, such as Blood Raines Vampire character that walks, talks and dresses like Juvenile Hot Topics Fungus/Stripper, rather than an aged being who had been around so long and seen so much that imperminance has become her greatest haunt, teacher, and only friend.
Through this experience of life, she's moved beyond the cheesey trendy one liners of a 13 year old suburban slut.

But noooooo, god forbid we actually have anything more than a 13 year old 2 dimentional character that appeals more to the croch than the mind or heart.

2. I'm sick of all the commercial revolutionary games.

3. I'm sick of all the military propaganda games where you go out an kill brown and yellow people for Unkle Sam.

4. Sick of games that use terrrism as a quick thrown together story line.

5 Sick of the lack of Bionic Commando sequals.

6. Sick of RPG's that are all the same. We need more KOTOR, Call of Cthulhu, etc.
Enough of the cute Dragon Ball Z/Mid-Evil RPG's.

7. Sick of all games bing the same, thank you Nintendo for tyring to change this old ass pattern, now hopefully we'll have VR helmets soon!

You are frightening me.

XDelusion said:

now hopefully we'll have VR helmets soon!

Heh we've had VR helmets for quite some time (although the visuals are poor). There's an issue with the comfort level of the user. I.e., people dont like having a device strapped to their faces and being cut off from reality for an extended period of time. This was part of the failing of the Virtual Boy (among other things).

Also why would you want a VR helmet? Wouldnt that put you at risk of getting brainwashed by alien CIA agents or something?

Doom Dude said:

What pisses me off is games that have shit controls. It's highly annoying to buy a game that has terrible controls, especially if the game seems to be something you'd really enjoy if the controls were'nt so bad.

Oh yeah, definitely. Console conversions are the main culprits. Also, besides horrible controls that just don't adapt, the interfaces in that kind of game are typically just so impractical and badly thought out it hurts any will to play the game (Pro Evolution Soccer 5)!

Despite that, the first that offends me the most in the latest games is that actual new games are rare. You mostly get sequels and rehashes of old ones. If you look at a games' magazine cover, the spotlights are called "Something 2/3" or "Blah: etc.". The games might be good, but innovation is clearly waning.

IMHO game-making stopped being art(sy) more or less when the PlayStation came around. That was when game publishers realized that games were a really profitable business and started putting them out for the buck rather than providing something you'd like (or you like it, but then again, one likes whatever s/he's fed with). Games are seen as products and we are seen as consumers, just like what happens with movies and music. And the current trend is to make them a service (Steam, online subscriptions, etc.). The innocence in games is long gone.

Kaiser said:

Every single poster on that thread is an automatic retard.

You're my hero <3

MMORPG'S GO TO HELL AND DIE PLEASE!

*whew* I feel better now. The worst is when you look at a game and you totally love the concept. Then you play it and you end up fucking hating it, because the execution of the concept is terrible.

Nightmare Doom said:

2. Plus, It's fucking ridicolous on how they design Female Characters nowadays as slut whores rather than real people/characters while the Male characters gets the opposite treatment (This is a perfect example how sexism in mass media still exist today...same thing with Mainstream Music & Hollywood movies)

You're a male, playing a game made by males, in an industry catered and marketed towards males. Naturally the female character's are going to be attractive one dimensional whores.

WildWeasel said:

The one thing that makes me not like modern games as much: the fact that people are not restricted so much as to what sort of content to put in the games, so you get stuff like GTA San Andreas where there's an F-word every minute. Now, I don't mind if characters swear a lot (would be unrealistic if they didn't, plus it makes the dialogue more believable) but the sheer volume of F-words in various recent games really puts me off from playing them through more than once (sometimes not finishing them at all).

Grove Street Nigga! Fuck that shit!

Yeah, funny how what was considered over the top in Kingpin several years back is pretty much an industry standard now.

Amaster: Everyone is already brain washed. It's not a threat, it's a reality. No need for a VR helmet or anything fancy for that. A carrot (even if it is rotten) on a stick will do.

Son, your screen name is apt and you're a disgrace to your avatar. Go check yourself into a clinic, because you really need help.

XDelusion said:

Amaster: Everyone is already brain washed. It's not a threat, it's a reality. No need for a VR helmet or anything fancy for that. A carrot (even if it is rotten) on a stick will do.

Can you explain how I'm brainwashed?

OT, I should add that the thing that pisses me off most about modern video games is the threads about modern video games that they spawn on internet forums.

XDelusion said:

XDELUSION DERAILS YET ANOTHER THREAD

You're getting good at this.

POTGIESSER said:

You're a male, playing a game made by males, in an industry catered and marketed towards males. Naturally the female character's are going to be attractive one dimensional whores.

It doesn't really matter even though I'm a male myself, I believe in gender equality because women in reality are actually no much different than your average male...but the only problem remains is how Organized Religion/Government/Mass Media set up gender roles that creates a false reality and a collective 'hive mind' of sterotypes towards women thus ignoring their own individuality.....Although this doens't work on every woman though...

How about getting back on topic?

Now I said this on another website, but I'll say it again.
One thing I'm getting tired of in modern games is the omnipresence of 3D and polygons and all that jazz. We need more 2d games (shooters, platformers, etc). Many will argue that all the good 2d games have already been made in the 80's and 90's and that their time has passed. But that simply isn't true. With the technology of today's game engines, 2d games can be created in ways never before seen. Far more photorealism can be achieved with 2d games due to the lack of polygons. Imagine playing Contra that is totally photorealistic, as if straight from a war movie. Or imagine a game that looks like a moving painting. The level of detail possible in 2d now is unparalleled. And it doesn't have to rely on a single 2d plane. Many 2d planes can create ideas and scenarios never before created in videogames.

At least Nintendo brought back a 2d Mario platformer.

DOOMENSTEIN said:

But if a game is more serious (like RTCW)...I don't like it crossing over with real people that had once existed. RTCW was cool, it just irks me when they have the characters interact with historical figures.

How is this irksome? Movies do it all the time (Forrest Gump, Back To The Future, etc) If anything, a greater illusion of believability is created in doing this.

Games where it takes 3 days to get from level 1 to 90, then it takes 30 days to get from 90 to 98, and then 300 days to get from 98 to 99 assuming you aren't bored out of your mind from the endless experience runs.

GGG said:

How about getting back on topic?

Now I said this on another website, but I'll say it again.
One thing I'm getting tired of in modern games is the omnipresence of 3D and polygons and all that jazz. We need more 2d games (shooters, platformers, etc). Many will argue that all the good 2d games have already been made in the 80's and 90's and that their time has passed. But that simply isn't true. With the technology of today's game engines, 2d games can be created in ways never before seen. Far more photorealism can be achieved with 2d games due to the lack of polygons. Imagine playing Contra that is totally photorealistic, as if straight from a war movie. Or imagine a game that looks like a moving painting. The level of detail possible in 2d now is unparalleled. And it doesn't have to rely on a single 2d plane. Many 2d planes can create ideas and scenarios never before created in videogames.

At least Nintendo brought back a 2d Mario platformer.

Yeah, that's what ticks me off about modern day games. All people seem to care about is how realistic and pretty the 3D graphics look or how realistic the physics engine is. I mean, sure, you can have a 3D game that has 2D gameplay like Maverick Hunter X and Megaman: Powered Up, but it just doesn't feel the same as if those two games were remade with detailed 2D sprites and junk.

Look at how Metal Slug 3D is. It just doesn't feel like the 2D games. Obviously, the game controls are totally different since it's the camera is behind the characters like Max Payne, but the graphics don't have the same cartoony charm as the original 2D Metal Slug games.

I dunno why or when the game industry decided that graphics and everything being realistic is what makes a game great, but I think what the game industry needs to do is stop looking ahead and look back at older generation games and see what made those games fun. The game designers and programmers nowadays are making games too complicated with tons of button combinations and whatnot. What the hell ever happened to A = Jump and B = Shoot? Nowadays, it's A = Jump and B = Shoot plus X = Secondary Attack, Y = Throw Grenade, Left Trigger = Flip off Opponent, Right Trigger = Do a cartwheel, etc.

You know what? I'm just probably babbling stupid nonsense. So, Nevermind... :(