Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Things that Piss You off about Modern Day games....

Amaster said:

Only thing I can think of is that so many games these days are waaay too easy. Only exceptions I can think of in recent history are a handful of console games.

Give us super hard modes!

Danarchy said:

2). The death of the adventure game genre. That used to be my favorite type of game back in the day, but now they never make them. The only thing I can conclude is that they didn't translate well into 3d graphics so they decided they wouldn't sell anymore.

[...]

Nowadays the independant companies been killed o absorbed by the big corporations. Where are the Cavedogs and Bullfrogs of the world? Blizzard seems to be the only such company left, though sadly their games are few and far between and they stick to cliche genres (though they totally own said genres). Id has fallen into a rut. Sure, Doom 3 was one of the better games of the last few years but that isn't saying much. Apogee seems to have vanished into oblivion since they decided to make Duke Nukem: Never. These companies were where the real fun, inovative games came from and now they no longer exist.

leileilol said:

At least the melodies are more original than prefabricated-orchestral-score-number-5902 by some commissioned music newbie. Just compare UT's music (OH IM SORRY HALO GENERATION NEWSCHOOLERS I MEAN UNREAL TOURNAMENT 1999 GAME OF THE YEAR) with ut2k3/ut2k4 and you'll see what I mean by orchestral trash.

All of these points I agree 100% with. The only game I am looking forward to at the moment is Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, as I always have faith in Raven Software.

leileilol said:

They only want to make games for the money and nothing else.

And they didn't want to make money back then? Come on here, don't say such bullshit. If developers didn't want to make games for money, they would be free. It has nothing to do with secret areas. Stop looking at the past through rose-colored glasses.

DOOMENSTEIN said:
You can have a flame war all by yourself...I'm not gonna let you ruin the forum for me.

Well said, though do consider what he said, there is some wisom there (sans the insults and anger, ignore or dismiss those as you have.)

Bloody games based on movies, face it their worthless and most of the time crap.

No one gives a damn about the game anymore, why can't we go back to the olden days with games like Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Blood etc. They should make the game enjoyable as it can be and not make bloody cutscenes or make you go in 1 direction.

My biggest gripe is the strictly linear layout of current games, combined with an unoriginal, bland, singular approach to design. As a result, the replay value is nearly nil.

This is actually intended by game companies, since they do not see the benefits of adding replay value (and thus "wasting" resources) to their stuff. After all they only get to sell your copy once, no matter how many times you play it.

Take my all-time favorite game: Blood. The majority of its levels were brilliantly designed, had fitting monsters, unique settings, four episodes with distinct themes, and were very much non-linear layout. That, and the dark atmosphere makes it a very truely enjoyable experience every time I get to play it again.

Take a latest'ish game: Doom3. Although very detailed and graphically impressive, it's also VERY linear. Monster fights are extremely predictable, and the teleportation stuff grows old after seeing it a couple of times but which keeps on happening for the duration of the game. There's not enough variation in theme: it all takes place in a "base" setting, with a slight generic "cave" variation later and a couple of levels in "hell". There are only a very few sections in the game which I can actually recall, the rest blurring into the same kind of "corridor crawl". Boss fights actually break whatever immersion you had since you need to switch from regular combat to using some silly trick or ability on them, which makes you feel that bosses are actualy a hurdle to take and not an achievement.

Still, I bought Blood. And I bought Doom3. Do companies notice that you liked Blood but not Doom3? Do they know that you still play and enjoy Blood but that the Doom3 CD is gathering dust somewhere? Answer: no. You payed retail price for both, but with the difference that one company spend more time/money on adding replay value and the other company did not. Guess what developers think benefits them the most?

Only when people stop buying products from company X will this change, and that is clearly not going to happen. Most gamers still buy the latest games to get their "fix" for something new, or buy the expansion in the vain hope that this will ""be better" than the original.

The last games I think were actually worth buying was WoW (MMO) and Far Cry (FPS).

And it will only get worse, since the slew of bland FPS's being released will lessen sales overall, which will in turn trigger economic measures by game companies to reduce costs by skipping on additional content.

Until it becomes so worse that people just stop buying the stuff and the industry collapses. Some other game genre will take over then. My money is on MMO's. In the meantime: suck it up :/

Heh, now I want to play Blood again. I especially liked Cryptic Passage (Plasma Pak not quite so much though).

Mordeth said:

Until it becomes so worse that people just stop buying the stuff and the industry collapses.

PLEASE don't say that. That has happened before.

Csonicgo said:

Yes, I remember those days. Thank you ET (Atari).

Csonicgo said:

Let me rephrase then ;) The genre FPS will collapse / dwindle away. Games will always be around but genres come and go. Even the platform we play games on may change.

I fully expect that the First Person Shooter game is going to lose much of its economic value to companies, in favor of other types of games. Just like platformers gave way to FPS games, the bizarre amount of revenue and thus superior business model of, say, the Massive Multiplayer Online games will attract their attention and they will want to have a piece of that action.

Also, I don't say that is bad. Just different. What would be bad is to continue the trend of bland uninspired FPS's.

It's not that big a step you might think it is. Already multiplayer modes of FPS games are popular. And a MMO is basically a multiplayer version of a FPS, set on a persistant gameworld.

In my opinion, there's a very high chance that id Software's next project is already going in that direction. And, unfortunately, it would also be id Software's last project.

Call of Duty 2:
Disapearing bodies, an wooden fence that is somehow bulletproof, impassible bushes/barbed wire/tank obstacles, doors that are impossible to get open.The damage system just sucks just hide a few seconds and your healthy again.

*Applauds Mordeth for putting it so well...

Csonicgo said:

What would be so bad about that? Remember, the last time that happened, we got Nintendo and Super Mario Brothers. That game was pretty kick ass back in the day.

And if it did collapse, it's not like we don't have 3+ decades of games to fall back on. Hell, you could even find another hobby, or *gasp* Go Outside and Playâ„¢.

Mordeth said:

And a MMO is basically a multiplayer version of a FPS, set on a persistant gameworld.

In my opinion, there's a very high chance that id Software's next project is already going in that direction. And, unfortunately, it would also be id Software's last project.

There's already an MMOFPS, it's called PlanetSide. If that was the next direction for FPS's to take, it would've been a lot more popular then it is.

Why would ID Software's next game be their last? Geez, there's so much doom and gloom around here when it comes to videogames. Just stop playing modern games if it bothers you people that much.

now that I think about it, the industry does need a collapse. The question is: which company will it hit first?

Sony will fall. The combination of the PS3 and the all crappyness of the shit Blue ray movie format. Piff Blue ray is twice the price of HD DVD and they fucked up huge. The original players they have been selling only plays 25 gig disks and rejects higher. Not to mansion Blueray still has compression problems. You guys all know the PS3 probs.

Xbox will survive but I can't see them gaining a whole lot of profit from the 360 and I don't know what Nintendo will do. I'm praying the Wii will be the Jesus Christ of console games and resurrect what ever it was that made games fun.

I personally hope the industry falls through and takes down all this bullshit ghetto, vintage bullshit out of the system. Same with modern day cartons, anime bullshit. And what’s with this new hype of paying monthly to buy old games from the net and through consol live systems. Don't pay for shit you bought ten times over. Gen a goddamn emulator.

GOD! I wish I was born 30 years ago and get out of this crap emo generation. Oh come to us past generation X and smite us all!

caco_killer said:

There's already an MMOFPS, it's called PlanetSide. If that was the next direction for FPS's to take, it would've been a lot more popular then it is.

MMOFPS doesn't make sense to me. It's pretty much just a giant deathmatch, isn't it? Unreal Tournament and Call of Duty or whatever are good enough for that. Or if it's a bunch of people killing a bunch of AI, computer-generated baddies all the time, like a massive version of Halo, that'll lose interest pretty quickly. FPS multiplayer can only be so massive.

Technician said:

GOD! I wish I was born 30 years ago and get out of this crap emo generation. Oh come to us past generation X and smite us all!

God damn whippersnappers! In my day you had to hike 10 miles to the arcade! Uphill! In the snow! Against the wind!

GGG said:

MMOFPS doesn't make sense to me.

The appeal is the idea of a game that can recreate a historic battle, or have large, unscripted ones. Imagine playing a game based on the Illiad, only instead of AI taking the part of Achilles, someone is actually playing the part. Or how about an RTS where every unit is a living person? It's the romantic idea of a game being able to create that experience that makes it appealing.

Technician said:
Sony will fall.

No.

dutch devil said:
The damage system just sucks just hide a few seconds and your healthy again.

God dammit! There's nothing wrong with that. it's no less realistic then 'absorbing' med packs and makes the fights a lot more balanced.

Ya know, I wasn't going to reply to this thread... there are a few things about games that piss me off, but not enough to really start bitching about it. Then again I had this huge rant written out about why the gaming scene was better, say, 10 years ago... but then I figured "fuck it" and erased it all. It's easier to get to the point. What seems to piss me off right now is completely changing a gaming icon. There is only one thing I have to say to this: "Boooooooo!"

I dislike games that are are hard for no other reason than being hard. Or alternatively, games that make you re-attempt an area over and over until you perfect it.

Games with fixed save-points.

Overwhelmingly annoying and frustrating battles.

Camera issues.

In other words, Ninja Gaiden for XBOX. ;)

That, and sequels that are less fun than previous installments in a series despite having more resources and a bigger budget.

caco_killer said:
Why would ID Software's next game be their last? Geez, there's so much doom and gloom around here when it comes to videogames.

Oh, that wasn't intended as such ;) But yes, id Software probably won't be around much longer, at least in its current form.

You already have read about (former) key employees leaving or being forced out, and you can almost taste the internal strife when you read id interviews about the direction of their new project(s). They have lost their game focus and their originality, and are basically relying on their leading edge in engine innovations. Their main programmer responsible for these innovations is ultimately calling the shots on game design instead of the design team, but even he is losing interest and looking elsewhere for challenges. Their other selling point is their reputation... "There's a new id Software game coming out! Hell yeah!"... that's the initial reaction you'll get... and you do not even know what that game is all about.

This can't go on forever. Either the talented people will leave for greener pastures because they can, or a change in game directions (new platform, new type of game, etc) will force them out. After all, designing eg. a MMO world is quite different from designing a FPS level.

Eventually, the people who made id Software into what it is today will have left. Sure, the name "id Software" will probably still be kept around by their publisher, much like some old lady whose chihuahua died and then has it stuffed and placed in its old basket just to keep its company. But it wouldn't be the same.

And why should this be bad, per se? I don't feel some sort of customer loyalty to id Software, although I did look forward to their new games (and hoping it being on par with Doom). There will be other games, by other companies... and indeed, there have been already. It does not take away my fondness of Doom.

Captain Red said:

God dammit! There's nothing wrong with that. it's no less realistic then 'absorbing' med packs and makes the fights a lot more balanced.

Imo it is less realistic picking up health packs at least gives me an feeling im healing myself.
I found the game rather easy maybe it was caused by this new damage system.

As far as healing in FPS games goes, Call of Cthulhu has one the most realistic implementations. You even had to watch your character open a first aid kit and slowly patch himself back together.

dutch devil said:

Imo it is less realistic picking up health packs at least gives me an feeling im healing myself.

it works far better in multiplayer than in campaign.

personally, i liked the first halo's damange system, where regenerating sheilds protected your character's static health.

dutch devil said:

Ah, well, you see I never really liked Call of Duty's singleplayer anyway. It works well for it's multiplayer.

Technician said:

Yes. If you paid any attention to the Blue ray fiasco you would agree.

I don't see Blu-Ray faring any better or worse than HD-DVD, not considering the outcry (read: verbal diarrhea) from fanboys worldwide.