Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
doom3

Video Card

I've decided that I want to upgrade my video card from a Ati Radeon 9600 Pro, it's kind of laggy sometimes and I have to run on low quality. I don't have too much money to spare so I was thinking about just going up to a Ati Radeon 9800. I found a 9800 SE 128MB for really cheap. I just don't know if that will make a big enough difference to be worth it. I found a 9800 Pro for a little bit more too.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Go for the Pro and not the SE. Overall the difference wont be too great between the 9600 and 9800. You'll find yourself able to play at a higher quality perhaps more consistently (you didnt mention your other specs so this isnt necessarily accurate).

Btw, I started doom3 with a 9600XT and got a reasonable (in my opinion) framerate at medium and even high quality as long as I kept the resolution at 800x600. What's your processor and ram like?

I've got a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 Processor and 512MB RAM. I've been running with 1280x1024 resolution! I thought that was just supposed to be the same as you have it set in windows.

You should put serious thought into upgrading ram if possible. It'll significantly reduce hitching when moving into new areas (door lag) and smooth out the experience a bit overall. Plus you'll probably benefit elsewhere.

Ok, would you suggest just getting 768MB total or 1GB?

Would a new video card still be necessary?

Thanks!

Er yikes. Yeah you dont need to set most games to your desktop resolution. Im amazed the game is playable at all with those settings on that hardware. Drop down a few nothces and you'll notice a dramatic improvement.

I would suggest getting whatever you are willing/able to afford.