Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zac

Texture Editing Help

Hello, am i editing a level in a doom wad to be a city at night, i am using a texture i have made that is 128x128 pixels
I have inplimented this into my wad file and it looks good in the game, except that due to the size 128 the texture repeats, like
CITY
CITY
CITY
The level is in a high buidling, so i need to have the buildings longer, how can i resize the texture to the size i need?
Thanks

You can use a graphics editing program to stretch the texture vertically and horizontally (resize) but that will screw up the resolution. A few years ago I came across a free utility that allowed the resizing (enlarging) of an image, without the corresponding decrease in sharpness and clarity. It used an algorithm that calculated averages of color values to create a reasonably sharp and larger replica of the original. I will try to dig up the reference to the utility, but meanwhile you can search the DooM World Editing forums for it.

Also, the original DooM and many source ports do not support textures that are taller than 128 units. Keep that in mind before you proceed too far.

Well it is a Doom2 edit, im sure of that, would there be any way at all to use more than one texture on the wall.. horizontally?

Horizontally you can create a texture in DooM2 that is 1024 units wide (perhaps wider, but I have never had the occasion to try). You can add as many graphic "patches" into your texture as you wish.

Hehe a what?
Patch, those are things like switches? Anyway, i have begun to make the horizontal texture effect and my sky line is almost complete, except in doombuilder when i go into 3d mode a texture dissapears when i enter the room, but when i leave it, it re appears?

Patches are the graphic elements that make up a texture. What you insert into your wad is a patch (in DooM2 this would be a bitmap image), which in turn you insert into a TEXTURE entry in your wad.

Intriguing... I think i understand now, I can hopefully begin my project, as i have got a version of DOOM that works on My Nintendo DS, so i can make a few levels and then play them on the go.

A simpler answer would be that you don't have to have just one texture on a wall. A flat wall can be made up of several line segments, each of which can have their own texture.

IS that effect achieved by having walls at different heights with different textures?

-------BRICK----------------
-------GLASS----------------
--------ETC-----------------

What Bucket meant was that instead of going the Texture editing route you could simply split your wall into numerous linedefs (line segments) and apply a different texture to each linedef. What you are asking for cannot be done using his suggestion, which will only work horizontally on a wall.

What you want (i.e., different textures vertically) can be achieved using multiple sectors stacked on top of each other. The illusion of a single smooth wall is achieved by keeping the linedefs as close to each other as possible (e.g., 1 unit apart). EDIT: An example is in Map30 of DooM2 where the Baphomet textures are stacked one on top of the other.

An illustration in ASCI is as follows. This is the view when looking along the wall in-game.

|
         |
         |
        _|
        |
        |
        |
       _|
       |
       |
       |
      _|
      |
      |
      |
     _|
Edit: Aw, crap! ASCI doesn't want to cooperate. Please ignore the drawing above.
Edit: Thanks to Grazza the illustration is fine. Please ignore my earlier edit.

Grazza said:

I edited in some [code] tags. Hope that helps.

Excellent. Thank you.