Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Toke it up!

Hi,

First, a bit of background.

A month or two back I merged in Rellik's FreeDM project into Freedoom, the result being that Freedoom now generates a deathmatch IWAD as well as the usual single player IWAD file. This is currently incomplete and needs more levels.

Anyway, at the time I mentioned this to Toke, who was interested in contributing some levels to the project. He sent me a megawad consisting of 21 work-in-progress deathmatch levels that he was working on. They are optimised for head-to-head (2 player) games. A lot of them are very basic. Toke's major concern in level design was apparently layout of the levels: he would design a level with a very basic layout and then add more detail after he was satisfied.

I think I heard somewhere that there was a tribute WAD being made, and I don't want to get in the way of that. However, I thought it would be nice if I could get some people together to finish these levels off and release them. To clarify, this would be a standalone WAD and not related to Freedoom in any way.

What do other people think? Who would be interested in contributing to this?

EDIT: Project website is up here: http://www.soulsphere.org/toke/

I have put up a quick website here. There is the WAD file and some guidelines I've drawn up which I thought were appropriate (if anyone else has any opinion on these or ideas, feel free to comment).

We're going to need several people to finish all of these levels. I'd appreciate it if people would help to get the word out: to forums on other websites etc. I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there who would be willing to contribute to this.

It would also be nice to have some artwork and music to accompany the levels. If anyone can help with this, please say so.

I propose that we use artwork and textures from Toke's former wads to keep with his style.

I've been thinking about a few things.

First of all, what should this be named? I'm thinking "Toke it up!" would be a good name (hence the title of this thread). Does anyone else have any other or better suggestions?

Secondly, music. Getting people to do music for this is going to be difficult. One idea I had was to use some of Toke's favorite songs. Does anyone know what music he listened to and what were his favorites?

I'd also like to get some demos for the final release. We need some deathmatchers to play on the levels. As this is a Vanilla WAD these should be Vanilla demos. The easiest way to do this would be to use my Chocolate Doom port (for which I recently rewrote the networking subsystem), or if possible get people to play some LAN games with doom2.exe.

fraggle said:
First of all, what should this be named? I'm thinking "Toke it up!" would be a good name (hence the title of this thread). Does anyone else have any other or better suggestions?

Yeah, that sounds like a fitting name.

Secondly, music. Getting people to do music for this is going to be difficult. One idea I had was to use some of Toke's favorite songs. Does anyone know what music he listened to and what were his favorites?

When he included music in his wads it was often heavy (death metal, etc.) stuff. Usually MIDIs of songs from relatively popular bands. Checking his wads, such as Vex-Doom, will show this.

I'd also like to get some demos for the final release. We need some deathmatchers to play on the levels. As this is a Vanilla WAD these should be Vanilla demos. The easiest way to do this would be to use my Chocolate Doom port (for which I recently rewrote the networking subsystem), or if possible get people to play some LAN games with doom2.exe.

PrBoom would work as well, using complevel 2.

I'm working on map02. This is hard. >:/

SlayeR said:

Edit: well that took less time than I expected, I've uploaded it here

Can you put an invisible wall where the bars are? In the origional map, you're supposed to be able to rocket that wall, but in your remake the rocket sails through the bars and out the other side.

fraggle said:

As this is a Vanilla WAD these should be Vanilla demos. The easiest way to do this would be to use my Chocolate Doom port (for which I recently rewrote the networking subsystem), or if possible get people to play some LAN games with doom2.exe.

Sir, yes sir!

I'll see how many people I can bug about getting them to play with me, more to the point get demos of.

I actually have a few 1on1/DM/TDM maps that I could throw out for contributions. Originally planned to expand it as in a mappack but havent made any future plans so dunno if they'll be just be sitting here on my hard drive and will be shown in the spotlight. If interested and need contributions from the community ASAP, let me know.

I'll take MAP09 if nobody else wants it. I've actually already started working on it(probably should've asked first...)

I really want to get this finished off. I've put together tokeitup.wad, containing the levels I've received so file (if I missed your level, please let me know and I'll add it in).

999cop said:

I actually have a few 1on1/DM/TDM maps that I could throw out for contributions. Originally planned to expand it as in a mappack but havent made any future plans so dunno if they'll be just be sitting here on my hard drive and will be shown in the spotlight. If interested and need contributions from the community ASAP, let me know.

Thanks, but this project is specifically to finish off some of Toke's unfinished levels.

kristus said:

So, what artwork do you hve in mind? Titlepics and mapname graphics?

At a minimum, a titlepic and interpic. Mapname graphics aren't really that important - these maps don't have names and I don't think it would be right to name them.

Scet said:

I'll take MAP09 if nobody else wants it. I've actually already started working on it(probably should've asked first...)

That's fine. I've added you to the list.

My map works in GZDoom, but I'm getting this weird "aborting due to signal 11" error in Chocolate Doom. What exactly does that mean?

Scet said:

My map works in GZDoom, but I'm getting this weird "aborting due to signal 11" error in Chocolate Doom. What exactly does that mean?

That's a segfault. Might be worth filing a bug for Chocolate Doom - even if the map won't work for some reason, segfaulting is never acceptable behaviour for a program.

Scet said:

Try it in Vanilla Doom. If it works in Vanilla file a bug :-)

The most likely thing that occurs to me OTOH is that you might have the level in Hexen format instead of Doom format.

Here's the map if someone could please find out why it crashes. It seems to happen when I look at the whole indoor or outdoor portions.

Edit: It works in DOOM95, except for a HOM effect when looking outside from where the door is.

Edit 2: Sorry I had to zip it. Gamedev is even more retarded than I thought it was and only allows downloads of certain types.

Scet said:

Here's the map if someone could please find out why it crashes. It seems to happen when I look at the whole indoor or outdoor portions.

Edit: It works in DOOM95, except for a HOM effect when looking outside from where the door is.

Edit 2: Sorry I had to zip it. Gamedev is even more retarded than I thought it was and only allows downloads of certain types.

Your map suffers from a Visplane overflow. Vanilla crashes in the same places Chocolate Doom does. I think the visplane limit was put up in Doom95, which is probably why you don't get a problem.

Essentially, you have too many different floor/ceiling areas in view at once. Checkerboard patterns, for example, are a good way to trigger a visplane overflow. You can probably fix the problem by reducing some of the detailing you have on the floor.