Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Toke it up!

Can I have map15?

Okay, I have a problem.
I have an door that leads to a 64-wide ledge. Obviously something goes here, like a plasma rifle or a BFG. Toke often puts BFG 9000's in his maps, especially in scenarios like I described. Would it be bad to fill in the gaps?

EarthQuake said:

Can I have map15?

Ok, assigned :-)

Okay, I have a problem.
I have an door that leads to a 64-wide ledge. Obviously something goes here, like a plasma rifle or a BFG. Toke often puts BFG 9000's in his maps, especially in scenarios like I described. Would it be bad to fill in the gaps?

In MAP15, the only weapons are super shotguns. The impression I get is that he intended this to be a shotguns-only map. Therefore it's probably best to leave the ledge empty.

Scet said:

OK here is MAP09. I tested it in Doom95 and Chocolate Doom and it should work.

Thanks! There is a small texturing issue on one side of the door, though. Can you fix it?

Looks good, except there seems to be a problem with the lift. Only the outer rim(sector 14) rises, but you can still stand on the lift as though the other two sectors(50,51) had risen. I fixed this by removing sector 50, but that changes the heights(not by enough to really change the behaviour though).

Scet said:

Looks good, except there seems to be a problem with the lift. Only the outer rim(sector 14) rises, but you can still stand on the lift as though the other two sectors(50,51) had risen. I fixed this by removing sector 50, but that changes the heights(not by enough to really change the behaviour though).

Heh, that's intentional.
The lift is meant to not look solid on the inner part. But if this is a problem for anyone, then innermost 8 linedefs on the lift that form a square can simply be deleted to make the whole thing look solid.

EDIT: Link updated. Made a few changes and made the lift solid in appearance.

EarthQuake said:

http://www.doomvault.com/map15.zip

Works in vanilla and is ready to go. Tell me what you think!

Looks good. My only beef is that down in the slime, there are some little insets in the wall that it's possible to catch on if you're running past at speed.

Normally you could just add an impassible linedef over the top but you have to be able to jump off the ledge, so that's not possible. Is there another solution to this? Perhaps invisible floors inside the gaps?

There's a similar issue with the inset lights on the wall on the opposite platform, although it's less of a problem.

I've been thinking about what to do for the title screen/interpic. As artwork seems yet to be forthcoming, I put this together with the gimp. It's MAP17 blended between the old and new versions. If someone else wants to have a go at doing something similar and can do it better, that'd be great.

I can help. What maps are avalable? I'll take 18, or anything that's avalable for that matter

Ed said:

I can help. What maps are avalable? I'll take 18, or anything that's avalable for that matter

Assigned. Thanks.

I've put up a new test wad. This has the titlepic above and the latest versions of all the levels so far. Where there are blanks I've filled them in with the original levels.

Almost done, I tried to get an idea of what Toke was intending for the original wad. Trying to get an old-school Doom 2 base feel.. hopefully upload it tomarrow.

I put up a screenshots page comparing the original versions with the completed ones. It's pretty impressive.

Not all the levels have screenshots yet, but I'll try to get them up.

Sorry about taking so long, I've been busy and lazy and honestly, map02 is a pretty freaking hard map to retexture with all the odd angles it uses.

Megalyth said:

Mind if I do map06 as well?

I kinda already started anyway :)

Ok, assigned.

AlexMax said:

Sorry about taking so long, I've been busy and lazy and honestly, map02 is a pretty freaking hard map to retexture with all the odd angles it uses.

Ok, as long as it gets finished :-) I need to chase up some of the other assignments..

Lazer said:

ya go freedoom!

Thanks, but this is nothing to do with Freedoom. Please read the thread.

fraggle said:

At a minimum, a titlepic and interpic. Mapname graphics aren't really that important - these maps don't have names and I don't think it would be right to name them.

Well, I can fix that.