Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Limonata

Your Favorite Ancient God

Who is your favorite ancient god? It can be any god from any era, like the roman gods, hidu gods or any other ones you can think of.

I choose Hermes. I think he's awesome.

I think his name is uh...Yahweh (no I am not religiously ignorant, but if hes the one god from the beginning of all faggotry then that would make him rather ancient no?)

Well, funny you should mention the roman gods, since they weren't even Roman. They were just the greek gods with roman names.

Anyway, I'm partial to the greek and nordic mythologies. Although Inca and other native american cultures are very intriguing. And Mesopotamian, and Egyptian. Oh, to hell with it.. I as usually don't have any favorits.

Woden.

He's the earlier, Anglo-Saxon version of Odin who gave his eye to bring magic to the world. Since he's kind of a god of magic, he basically walks the earth casting spells and shit. Kind of like a one-eyed Gandalf. How cool is that? Also, Wednesday was named after him. Huzzah.

Woden was also one of the screen names I used for a while before settling on this one.

Athena, Goddess of Wisdom. Because no matter how difficult the situation, you could always count on Athena to think of a way out.

There's a lot of interesting ancient gods. If I had to pick one I guess I would go with Anubis. He just looks kick-ass cool and is the ruler of the underworld.

I also think the feathered serpent Quetzalcoatl of Mesoamerica is pretty interesting.

TheDarkArchon said:

Thor. Not only did he have control over lightning but he has a bloody huge hammer as well. That and he pwned giants who held Mjolnir hostage.

I'm with Thor as well. he supposedly gave knowledge to the peoples of midgard more freely than Wotan making more pouplar in some regions than his father. he could also eat and drink anyone under the table and loved a good fight.

WildWeasel said:

Athena, Goddess of Wisdom. Because no matter how difficult the situation, you could always count on Athena to think of a way out.

Ah, yeah she's probably #2 on my list. I've had an idea for a novel kicking aroung in my head for several years that involves a guy in the modern world who ends up meeting Athena and becoming her devotee.

Athena? The one who wants to be like her daddy (a wanton and self aggrandizing ruler), but naturally can't be, since she was spawned fully from his head, so is instead a frigid misogynic bitch.

myk said:

Athena? The one who wants to be like her daddy (a wanton and self aggrandizing ruler), but naturally can't be, since she was spawned fully from his head, so is instead a frigid misogynic bitch.

You have an odd interpretation of Greek myth. I draw my image of Athena mostly from the Odessey, but still... She's rather brash and independant, but she's also a godess of protection.