Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dittohead

Liberating Doom

The freedom fighters over at the FreeDoom project have recently announced the release of version 0.5, which includes many updates to the project such as a vast increase of new artwork and the inclusion of FreeDM - a deathmatch IWAD project. Also in this release is a myriad of improved weapon sprites and textures, in addition to the new enemy designs. For more information you can check out the project's homepage.

THANK YOU FOR FINALLY MAKING ALL THE GUNS ORIGINATE FROM THE CENTER

No rocket fire sound, but really, the whole pack seems to be coming together far more cohesively now. Great work.

AlexMax said:

THANK YOU FOR FINALLY MAKING ALL THE GUNS ORIGINATE FROM THE CENTER

Really, it feels so much more like doom.

Not to mention some of them actually sharing a similar style and not all looking completely different from one another.

New pinky demon is nice, too. Could use some new sounds, though. A worm making a squaling noise when it dies sounds a bit.. odd. :P

AgentSpork said:

New pinky demon is nice, too. Could use some new sounds, though. A worm making a squaling noise when it dies sounds a bit.. odd. :P

Yeah, I noticed this towards the end of the push for 0.5. It'll definitely be sorted out for the next release, which will hopefully be this year.

The new demon is a fantastic sprite and exactly what I (personally) want for freedoom: It fits the monster in terms of frames, movement, attack, hit points, etc., but doesn't resemble the original in any other way: It's a quality original.

Woo, new freedoom is always good.

I think the BFG sound is a bit long though. It cycles up, but then reaches its peak several seconds after it's actually fired.

AlexMax said:

No rocket fire sound, but really, the whole pack seems to be coming together far more cohesively now. Great work.

I did contribute a bunch of weapon firing sounds (the changelog says so), and it seemed only the new pistol and explosion sound got in

also the revenant walks funny like michael jackson dancing and i'm credited as 'gargoylol'.

leileilol said:

I did contribute a bunch of weapon firing sounds (the changelog says so), and it seemed only the new pistol and explosion sound got in

I held off on the shotgun sound because I was concerned about how it sounded when repeated as part of the mastermind's chaingun. 2/3 aint bad though...

leileilol said:

also the revenant walks funny like michael jackson dancing

Yeah :) I spent many, many hours trying to map the imp frames to the rev ones, and the baron ones to the hk, and the demon ones to the arch and cyber, and caco to pe, and arach to mastermind. It took AGES, was very frustrating, and I decided to leave figuring out the precice mirroring for the revenant for 0.6.

I could really use your help there. Are you happy with the garg on the rev slot? I think it fits really well, but I have re-used the three-frame imp scratch for 3-frame punch and 2-frame shoot. Together with the moonwalk issue, some refinement would be very welcome.

leileilol said:

and i'm credited as 'gargoylol'.

Yeah, well, I don't have an email asking me to change that...

Big thanks go to Jon for making this release happen. I know he's put in a lot of work and with all the new stuff that people have contributed (mostly thanks to fredrik and leileilol) this is the best looking release yet.

AgentSpork said:

A worm making a squaling noise when it dies sounds a bit.. odd. :P

Yeah, I agree. Especially when said worm is being blown into mush like a firecracker just went off in it's heart. I was thinking you should use more of a gibbing noise. I don't care much for the imp sprites. Number one, you used 3d sprites for them, which look kind of out of place when compared to the other monsters. Number 2, 3D characters look a bit better as 3D models. Not 2D sprites.

The new chaingun though looks awesome though.

Jon said:

I held off on the shotgun sound because I was concerned about how it sounded when repeated as part of the mastermind's chaingun. 2/3 aint bad though...

What about the rocket launcher sound I submitted? Surely that would have been better than absolutely nothing....