Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

3.33.50 'Phoenix' Progress Report

entryway said:

All this starts to resemble profiteering on death :( IMO. Sorry.

Um, doesn't "profiteering" imply profits? So unless you are paying us for Eternity because of Tokes untimely demise, STFU.

IMOSRY

Well money wouldn't have to necessarily be involved. One could be trying to exploit a tragedy to gain attention or, in a source port's case, users. If more people download 3.33.50 because it's dedicated to Toke, that would make me happy for several reasons obviously, but it's not why it's dedicated to him. If I hoped to gain anything, there'd be many better ways.

SoM said:

Um, doesn't "profiteering" imply profits?

In Russian - not always. At least.

It is complex to explain on not the native language, what I mean. If you have not understood it, you will not understand it.

entryway said:

In Russian - not always. At least.

It is complex to explain on not the native language, what I mean. If you have not understood it, you will not understand it.

Well of course, I am american after all. And I do understand what you meant, I was making a joke. I honestly don't see what Eternity has to gain by implementing a group of features that only a small fraction of doomers will care about. I mean, low detail mode isn't going to attract a massive group of people to Eternity, and that's not the point. Quasar` is just paying his respects by implementing things he thinks Toke would have liked. There is no profiteering here.

Alright. Here's some recent progress. Release is very near now, as the sound sequence integration is about 75% finished.

1. More sound engine revisions. Priority values defined in sounds are now used fully; sound priority scales with volume, and sounds will be cut off lowest priority first when too many are playing at once. Long-standing problem with sounds being given the wrong volume has also finally been identified and repaired. Volume precision has been expanded by a factor of eight, allowing better attenuation.

2. EDF stuff. Sounds can now have aliases, and properties of the environmental ambience engine can be modified. topdamage and topdamagemask thing fields allow customized burn damage when the player stands on top of hot objects.

3. Spechit overflow emulation. Special thanks to Andrey and fraggle.

4. Huge memory usage improvements. Much more data is now cachable, and the zone realloc function has been totally rewritten.

5. MDK console command for killing anything in one hit :)

6. Screen patch scaling improved to perfection for normal aspect ratios and improved for others by rounding up inverse column scaling factors. 960x600 now has perfect scaling, for example.

Expect EE 3.33.50 to come out at any time :P I am steadily working even though it may seem like nothing's getting done. Check out my changelog to see more info and news.

Quasar said:
Check out my changelog to see more info and news.

Where can I find that? The one on the Eternity site hasn't been changed since 10/10/05.

More updates:

* Major DeHackEd string handling improvements
* Better correct_height for Doom barrels.
* Longtics demo support (playback and recording)
* "Sky too low" bug fixed (was actually more serious than thought)
* No more sky stretching when playing old demos

As always, more stuff is in the changelog, but it's technical in nature.

Sorry to triple post. Just thought I would mention that today I implemented an optional vissprite limit, so you can emulate the 128-sprites cutoff behavior of the original game if you want, or you can set your own limit to try to speed up any slow-running wads (this is useful only to a point, however -- nuts.wad still runs about 0.1 FPS if you wake up all the monsters at once even with a limit of 1 vissprite -- monster AI processing and memory allocation dominate after a certain point).

I'm thinking about enabling a similar limit emulation for drawsegs.

"5. MDK console command for killing anything in one hit :)"

Zdoom whore :D